dkunkle

Moving Savings to USA

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband got his green card earlier this year. We are in the process of moving him. How do we transfer his savings from Canada to USA? Can we just wire the money or withdraw it and bring it down in increments of less than $10K? Are there any reporting requirements when moving cash that way? He has already opened a bank account here with Chase Bank, and gotten 2 credit cards to start building a credit history.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey so you can't wire money from a canada bank to a us bank (money laundering I guess) he can use his canadian card while in the usa! So u may wanna do it that way. Also, I would keep it until the exchange rate is good (I don't know what it is right now) and get cash and bring it in increments under 10 k in lile a money order...u can withdraw money from an ATM here in the usa. 

If it's alot (like 100k) not sure what u wanna do about that:/ 

My mom had access to my bank card, I got her on as an authorized user, and she would mail me money orders like 5k ect when I needed money for my student loans here ect. 

You can have your Canadian bank do an electronic fund transfer (take a few days) or wire the money (faster), super easy. I do it from a few times per month to a couple times per day...

Do not try to move smaller amounts to avoid reporting - that's not legal (google "structuring"). Reporting is very easy if the money comes from a legal activity.

The 10k limit to bring inside in cash is only what you can bring without declaring... You can bring as much cash as you like if you have proof that it's legal and you declare it.

I went through a currency broker which gave me a good rate but I've seen others like here just wire or transfer, all good options depending on your circumstances. :)

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

Filed: Timeline
On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 9:45 AM, dkunkle said:

My husband got his green card earlier this year. We are in the process of moving him. How do we transfer his savings from Canada to USA? Can we just wire the money or withdraw it and bring it down in increments of less than $10K? Are there any reporting requirements when moving cash that way? He has already opened a bank account here with Chase Bank, and gotten 2 credit cards to start building a credit history.

Wire Transfers over 10K, you don't have to report to IRS.   Just do a one time wire transfer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.