aubie17

Interview questions (UK)

8 posts in this topic

Hey VJers

For those who have went or had a partner go through the K1 interview in the past couple months 

I understand the first step you hand over forms and then you get called again when they look over your paperwork and the beneficiary gets asked some questions. 

How long does does this stage roughly last and what specific questions did you get asked? 

Many thanks 

aubie17

We went through the CR-1 process, which is similar and took a long time for us, like 3 hours.  Another member did the same process, the next day, and around the same time of say, and it only took about 45 minutes for them. 

Highly recommend taking a look at the consulate reviews on this site.  In there people have posted all of the questions asked as well as how long it took.  It's comforting to know exactly what you'll be walking in to, and it's been detailed in that section

I don't know about others, but reading about the interview for us was more comforting knowing what we're going into, and not for preparing answers.  Just knowing what to expect :)

With London, it's just like having a nice conversation that is fairly business-like. The main thing is to be honest and concise with your answers, and to relax - seriously. You or your fiancé have most likely been asked and answered a gazillion times by friends and even complete strangers, how you met and how you maintained your relationship and your love for one another.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Mine was an IR-1 in London last month and I have added a full review on my timeline. The process is the same (go in, sit and wait, get called to desk to show your documents, sit and wait, get called to a desk for questions, leave). It depends on the time of day I think. When I was there they were calling the numbers before mine about 1 every 10 minutes for the actual interview. Then there was a 40-minute gap before mine was called but it was close to lunch time so possibly he took his break? 

The interview felt more like a catch-up with a former acquaintance that you haven't seen in many years. Not like a friend, bit someone you knew vaguely. "So, tell me about your husband. When did you meet him?" kind of thing. I had some random questions about my father. And also I was questioned about my husband's past criminal record (standard procedure in such cases). 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

My fiancé was there on Dec. 22. According to him, the wait was the longest/hardest part. He said he was there for roughly two hours overall, but the actual interview portion took about five minutes - the rest was just waiting for his number to be called.

As JFH said, it is more like you're catching someone up on your life rather than being "interrogated." From what my fiancé told me, they asked him about my job and they jibber jabbered about that for a few minutes, and I think a lot of the details of his answer answered many of the follow-up questions. I don't recall him telling me any more questions related to my job or income apart from "what does she do?"

Now, my fiancé and I met because I was childhood pen pals with his sister and miraculously we kept it up over the years before the ease of email or the internet! He and I have known each other existed for 24 years, but we first met in person 12 years ago when I flew to visit her and luckily he just happened to be around one day! It was another 10 years before I mustered up the courage to tell him I developed a crush during that visit - but I finally did and the rest is history! The interviewer DID want to know more details about that since it's a pretty unusual story! Basically he asked about the sister and whether or not I am still friends with her and when I visited him in December 2015, did I see her too, how does she feel about everything....but really as he described the interview, the questions came naturally as if you were telling anyone else in the world a story like that! 

After about five minutes of that kind of thing, the officer said he "was sorry but.....it looks like you have packing to do! I'm approving your visa!" As I've read a lot of the reviews it does appear that many of the officers joke at the end. It sounds to me like a very friendly and somewhat upbeat experience considering how nerve-wracking it feels!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.