JANETandLYLE

AOS not started/WIfe wants to go back Home

71 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My Wife has expressed to me that she wants to return to her homeland of the Philippines to live. She is terribly homesick, and has asked if I wanted to go with her. That is not going to work, so it appears we will be getting a divorce, and she will return to her homeland in the Philippines. The big issue here is she has either lost her expired passport from 2009, or destroyed it at some point. Is this an issue that we need to call immigration on, since she has no identification? I would have to assume since she has no identification, passport, and does not want to do an AOS, that she will be leaving the USA one way, or another. I have already told her she will not be able to fly out of the country without a passport or something from immigration. Any advice? Is this just going to be an issue that we need to go sit down with an agent at a local ISCIS office? Should I call one of the main offices and ask? IDK what to do. Dazed and confused. 

She would need to obtain a passport from the Philippines embassy or some sort of emergency travel document they may issue in lieu of a passport; she won't be allowed to board an international flight without one of those two things. 

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

Hypnos,, thank you so much for the reply. I am not sure where to start, but after trying to talk with her about staying here, I believe she just wants to go home, with or without me. I guess my next step would be to call the San Francisco Philippines Consult and see if i can talk with someone about my situation. I appreciate any and all advice. I'm just trying to let reality set in and realize what i about to happen here. :(

Timeline

I am Filipina too and came here last Dec. 2013, like her I am so homesick and want to go home too but the good thing is there is Facebook and I can able to talk to my family and friends whenever I want plus I immediately apply for AOS so I can work and go out everyday and have a life. Is your wife doesn't have any hobby that will keep her busy? Its been almost 7 years she have been here, by this time she should at least adjusts for all that changes happened in her life. The lost of her passport is not a big issue because she can go to the nearest consulate and request to replace it by submitting the supporting documents required. Well, I heard lots of stories that Filipina like me really get homesick because we are really close to our family but I hope its not too late to figure out what really matters to her because once she go home she cannot come back here unless you guys do the process again from the very start.

SgBcm5.png

K1 - FIANCE VISA                                                                                           ROC - I751

05.20.2013: Sent K1 Visa Application                                                              01.31.2017: Sent ROC application

05.24.2013: NOA1                                                                                           02.10.2017: NOA1 dated Feb. 3                                                                                 

09.24.2013: NOA2                                                                                           03.03.2017: Biometrics notice received  (Mar. 17)

10.23.2013: NVC letter received                                                                      01.26.2018: Received approval letter (Date of Decision: 01.22.2018)

11.04.2013: Medical done                                                                                02.07.2018: Status: New Card being produced

11.12.2013: Interview Approved                                                                      02.14.2018: Received GC but status still "New Card Being Produced"

11.19.2013: Visa in hand                                                                                 N400 - Natuzalization

12.26.2013: Hello America!                                                                              02.22.2018: Apply online  

AOS, EAD & AP                                                                                               02.24.2018: Online Status: Biometric was Scheduled"

04.19.2014: Sent Application                                                                            03.15.2018: Biometric Scheduled (early walkin (03.06.2018)

04.27.2014: Received text & email application was received                           12.21.2018: Email and text notice for scheduled interview

05.25.2014: Biometrics done                                                                             01.31.2019: Interview

07.12.2014: EAD & AP combo card received                                                    02.19.2019 : Oathtaking ceremony

08.04.2014: Received "Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case"                     

04.21.2015: Status - "Carp produce - Approved - No interview

05.01.2015: Received GC

*************************** GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME *********************************

Timeline

Thank you for your kind words. I tried to really talk with her about doing the AOS, Unfortunately I believe she has been wanting to go home for even a few years, and just couldn't bring herself to tell me that, until i really sat her down and got to the bottom of the issues we have been having. Now I know, even though it is killing me inside. She seems no longer interested to do the AOS, get a job here, or have a child. At that point all she mentions is "I'll just go back in the Philippines!" The interest to be here is gone, as is doing anything further, although she did ask if I wanted to go with her. The reality is I work here in the US, and couldn't leave. Maybe she felt my lifestyle was going to be grandiose, idk. I tried to do all i could, but admit i didn't get the important things done like her AOS paperwork. We had some hard times, but i kept my nose to the grinding stone doing my best. I guess it just wasn't enough, and now I realize she sat way too much in our house. She doesn't expect much other than asked for a plane ticket home and some money to take with her. She never worked while here, nor had the ambition to make friends, get involved in the church, etc. It just seems that once she got here she never really liked it from the start. It seemed she did not want to embed herself at all in the surroundings. I feel terrible for the stuff I never finished, and it could have been a lot of why I am in this predicament today. I have been doing a lot of crying and realizing my mistakes, although I do believe its too late to correct them, now. At this point with her mind being made up, I see no option other than to be a man, and let her go back home. I will always love her, but the ball was in her court, and she still chose to go home. She did day she hopes I can forgive her. We are being cordial to each other, but now i need to figure out how to get her home. I feel a divorce needs to happen here before she leaves, but I also need to figure out how to get her a passport from the Philippine Counsel or some sort of emergency travel document, since she has nothing here. Surely if she isn't willing to move forward with doing a AOS, i'd think someone would step up to help get her home in regards to some type of paperwork. This all kills me, but I need to try and do what is right. For me, I didn't get things done fast enough. I hope she can forgive me, and I can also forgive myself.   :(

Timeline

Her passport expired back in 2010 I believe it was. Our 7th year anniversary would be January 19th, but at this point, I guess that is really moot. I believe she intentionally destroyed all her paperwork, including the expired passport (maybe out of anger?). She also had either a deep depression or mental breakdown. I'm not sure how to handle all of this. I just want to do what I can now to help her in any fashion. I have been preached to about leaving her sit too long in the house, no job, her feeling like a slave, etc. I guess i needed to hear all of that to really realize it all. She always told me she was fine and never really complained. I feel terrible that she was dealing with all of this, yet i didn't see it. She hasn't been much for communicating, so it has been tough to do much in regards to helping her. For the most part she isn't wanting to try. I have no choice but to let her go back home. Unless a  miracle came along, it's over. :(  Terrible day for me, finding this all out today. Trying to remain strong. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Very looong time to be here out of status.

She gets a Passport, you buy her a ticket, she does not need to be here to get divorced.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country:
Timeline
7 hours ago, JANETandLYLE said:

Her passport expired back in 2010 I believe it was. Our 7th year anniversary would be January 19th, but at this point, I guess that is really moot. I believe she intentionally destroyed all her paperwork, including the expired passport (maybe out of anger?). She also had either a deep depression or mental breakdown. I'm not sure how to handle all of this. I just want to do what I can now to help her in any fashion. I have been preached to about leaving her sit too long in the house, no job, her feeling like a slave, etc. I guess i needed to hear all of that to really realize it all. She always told me she was fine and never really complained. I feel terrible that she was dealing with all of this, yet i didn't see it. She hasn't been much for communicating, so it has been tough to do much in regards to helping her. For the most part she isn't wanting to try. I have no choice but to let her go back home. Unless a  miracle came along, it's over. :(  Terrible day for me, finding this all out today. Trying to remain strong. 

well she was out of status for a while and not allowed to work or get a drivers license. start the aos process and let her go out into the world and legally work and start to feel better about herself. granted after being locked up in the house ( figure of speech not literally I hope) for that long the damage may very well be too great to fix but you should still try.  this is a good example for others as to why one should not hold off on aos for too long.

good luck

Timeline

Filipina's do go home on occasion but normally it is considered a great shame to them.

She came here for a life to live and sounds like she has not really lived at all.

What state do you live in? Are there Filipino stores and communities near where you live?

Is she Catholic (80% chance LOL) take her to church. Does she has even one filipina friend who she sees in person at least once a month or so?

My point is she will probably adjust if you start doing all the things that should have been done 7 years ago.

Are you sending money to her family because I assume you are since she is not working. You will have to make a decision of whether to keep sending or not once /if she is gone.

Hope you can work this out but you need to get busy fast.

PM me if you like

Jim 

10/29/16....I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX
10/31/16....Delivered at Dallas Lock Box - per USPS

11/02/16....NOA1 Date on Hard Copy Notice
11/03/16....NOA1 Text and Email. Case sent to CSC
11/07/16....NOA1 Hard Copy Received

xx/xx/xx....NOA2 Text and Email

Mind if I ask why you didn't file for AOS? With even just AP, she could visit home and would likely be much less homesick. And 7 years out of status? You risked her being deported because of a couple forms? You have my sympathy for how things turned out. However, realize that this is a hole you've dug for yourself. She was likely to be separated from you and be back in the Philippines eventually w/o filing for AOS. Overstay is ignored during AOS for the spouse of a USC, but I do not believe that applies once deportation hearings are opened.

Yes, she needs to go to her consulate to attempt to get a new passport. I'm not certain what forms of other ID they will accept, unfortunately. She can find out the details there. Once she gets the passport, she should be able to return to her home country. Hopefully she does not intend to ever return as I believe she will have a ban for her overstay at this point.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

AOS

11.23.16 - AOS/EAD/AP Filed

12.12.16 - NOA1 Email

01.09.17 - Biometrics Appt

03.16.17 - EAD Approved/Card Being Produced

03.29.17 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card

04.21.17 - Green Card Received

ROC

02.01.19 - Filed

02.27.19 - NOA

April?       - Biometrics

01.15.20 - Approved/Card Being Produced

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Look maybe the mistake was that she stayed this long without visiting her country.  I feel her because I had the same experience. The problem is if she leaves she will be banned from US entry again.  So I think try to convince her or try to go to marriage counseling.  It will be very hard for her to work.  But I would find out what is her best interest and encourage her to volunteer in it just to keep her busy and convince her to wait for a few months to do her AOS then travel for sometime then she will feel better 

~~moved to effects of major family changes from aos family based~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.