Suss&Camm

Scandinavians Part 2

1,960 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hi Everyone

American here with a Danish fiance, very close to having my 129f completed and have a few questions.

1. I should use the americanized spellings of danish words and names except in the Beneficiary's name and address in their alphabet part, correct? 

2. When listing Danish addresses (outside of the native alphabet part) should i use the Americanized # Streetname Apt # or the Danish Streetname # Apt #? (123 Main Street Apt 3 vs Main Street 123 Apt 3).

And for province, is this left blank? My fiance is not sure if Region Hovedstaden would count as her province for the purposes of this form ( she lives in Copenhagen) 

3. Do all documents need to be translated? I've included an Oresunstag train ticket from Copenhagen to Sweden as part of my proof of having met within the past two years. It's in swedish - do i need to have this translated? I have plenty other evidence of having met so if this needs to be translated or if there is risk of a RFE I'd rather just not use it. 

4. Should I list the Embassy in stockholm for this question

Your beneficiary will apply for a visa abroad at the U.S.

Embassy or U.S. Consulate at:

thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
26 minutes ago, alec1 said:

Hi Everyone

American here with a Danish fiance, very close to having my 129f completed and have a few questions.

1. I should use the americanized spellings of danish words and names except in the Beneficiary's name and address in their alphabet part, correct? 

2. When listing Danish addresses (outside of the native alphabet part) should i use the Americanized # Streetname Apt # or the Danish Streetname # Apt #? (123 Main Street Apt 3 vs Main Street 123 Apt 3).

And for province, is this left blank? My fiance is not sure if Region Hovedstaden would count as her province for the purposes of this form ( she lives in Copenhagen) 

3. Do all documents need to be translated? I've included an Oresunstag train ticket from Copenhagen to Sweden as part of my proof of having met within the past two years. It's in swedish - do i need to have this translated? I have plenty other evidence of having met so if this needs to be translated or if there is risk of a RFE I'd rather just not use it. 

4. Should I list the Embassy in stockholm for this question

Your beneficiary will apply for a visa abroad at the U.S.

Embassy or U.S. Consulate at:

thank you

1.  Do you mean using aa, ae, and oe?  Or something else?  You can write everything that way anyway, because it is correct and is the Danish spelling.  

2. Write them the Danish way

Province would be more like Jylland or Zealand, but you can probably leave it blank because it doesn't really apply in terms of addresses in Denmark.

3.  I wouldn't use it if you have actual proof of having met, i.e. a passport stamp, etc.  That would be all you really need.

4. Yes.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Timeline

Hey everyone.

I've read that you're supposed to show up for the interview in business attire. What exactly does that mean? Is it important or do I just show up in nice clothes and not necessarily business stuff? 

I've read you're supposed to be at the embassy an hour before your appointment. Is that nessecery? Also I've got an appointment at 8:30. Is that when I stand in front of the embassy or when I sit in the waiting room on the inside?

Maybe you know @Greenbaum?

Thanks in advance 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 hour ago, EllenE1230 said:

Hey everyone.

I've read that you're supposed to show up for the interview in business attire. What exactly does that mean? Is it important or do I just show up in nice clothes and not necessarily business stuff? 

I've read you're supposed to be at the embassy an hour before your appointment. Is that nessecery? Also I've got an appointment at 8:30. Is that when I stand in front of the embassy or when I sit in the waiting room on the inside?

Thanks in advance 

No special clothing, wear what you see fit and what you're comfortable in.

An hour before the appointment would be good, sometimes the wait times are really long before you even get to go through the security and into the embassy, but sometimes they're not. Sometimes you have to wait for a really long time inside the waiting room before someone calls your name (I sat for 2 hours myself), but sometimes your name is called immediately (the other K-1 person who was there at the same time as me was called up almost as soon as we got in). Impossible to tell how long things will take, so be there early just in case. You don't want to miss anything.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

4 hours ago, EllenE1230 said:

Hey everyone.

I've read that you're supposed to show up for the interview in business attire. What exactly does that mean? A nice skirt and blouse or dress is appropriate.  Is it important or do I just show up in nice clothes and not necessarily business stuff? Nice clothes are fine. First impressions go along way.

I've read you're supposed to be at the embassy an hour before your appointment. Is that necessary? No Also I've got an appointment at 8:30. Is that when I stand in front of the embassy or when I sit in the waiting room on the inside? You'll only need to arrive 15 to 30 min prior to your appointment time.

Thanks in advance 

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
On 8/1/2018 at 10:35 AM, EllenE1230 said:

Thank you for your answer!

I'm still confused about the second part though. Because in the email that was sent to me was a link which lead me to post specific instructions regarding arrival at the U.S. Embassy in Stockholm. And this is what it says:

Capture1.PNG

Hi we got the same letter and I sent the original NOA2 to him in Sweden just in case that's what they were asking for did y'all hear anything back from the embassy in Stockholm yet?

Timeline
On 8/6/2018 at 8:26 AM, Paul & Mallory said:

So, Paul's case changed to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview" the other day, about a week after his biometrics. Which was a nice surprise! Although it can still take a few months for the interview to actually BE scheduled, we hope this means no RFE (for now), so we'll take it. :) With that being said, and we are hoping for the EAD, at least, around November or December (based on the ever-changing estimate VJ gives you), he's started looking around at job prospects so he can be ready to start applying and potentially interviewing for things.

Just curious, for other Swedes/Scandinavians, how the job hunt was for you when the time came. Paul's background is cooking - that's what he went to school for and what his entire work history is based on. Did you basically translate your existing resume to English/American format and include all Swedish education/work history? Was there anything in particular that stuck out as a benefit, being bilingual or anything at all?

We jokingly talked about him working at Ikea here, but then actually considered it a good option lol. Not just because it's Swedish, but it's around the corner from where I work (so carpooling could happen, until he is able to get a car), and I think he'd knock it out of the park working in their restaurant, if they had any openings. So now he's kind of into the idea, but I don't think he'll have too much of a problem getting in with the food industry no matter what.

His only concern is not having a full degree, like at a university, since he just did culinary certification/schooling. I don't think that will be a big deal - his work experience is super sufficient, which I think holds enough weight itself. Of course, I'm thinking as an American applying for jobs, and not considering any differences for non-Americans.

Hey girl!I work in the culinary industry here too. To be honest I wouldn't be so concerned with him finding a job in a kitchen. They don't really ask for much study wise,  they're more concerned about experience which it sounds like he has plenty.  So no worries for him! I'm super positive he'll be able to find a job easily

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:04 AM, EllenE1230 said:

Hey everyone.

Thanks in advance 

I wouldn't say business attire is necessary, but I know my husband was considerate of looking nice. Not dressed up in work or church clothes - I think he wore jeans, but a nice button up shirt and shoes. In my opinion, you still want to look presentable because it is an important interview.

It's best to be early. My husband's appointment was for 8:30, and I believe doors open at 8am. We got there at 7:30 and were first in line, which is what he wanted. Don't think getting there closer to 8 would have been a huge deal, but I think it made him feel better to be super early and first in line.

Good luck!!! :)

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
46 minutes ago, Itsnikk said:

Hey girl!I work in the culinary industry here too. To be honest I wouldn't be so concerned with him finding a job in a kitchen. They don't really ask for much study wise,  they're more concerned about experience which it sounds like he has plenty.  So no worries for him! I'm super positive he'll be able to find a job easily

Thank you!! I appreciate the response, particularly since you are in the similar field :) I'm not too worried either, but I know it weighs on him more than me since it's him not working.

He's actually been scheduled for his interview as of Saturday! We don't know the date yet (haven't gotten the letter in the mail yet), but it definitely makes it feel super real!!

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Timeline
1 hour ago, Itsnikk said:

Hi we got the same letter and I sent the original NOA2 to him in Sweden just in case that's what they were asking for did y'all hear anything back from the embassy in Stockholm yet?

I haven't heard anything back from them yet, but I did ask someone else about the appointment letter and she said it was something I received through e-mail when making an appointment online (which I did, so I just printed that). She also said to bring NOA1 and 2 with just in case though when she was  there they didn't ask for it. So I'm just bringing copies to be safe. 

Timeline

Hey everyone. If there's anyone out there who's still waiting on the interview and possibly looking for a hotel to stay the night I can really recommend the hotel just down of the road from the embassy. It's a 5 min walk away, beautiful view, great rooms, excellent service and the menu in the restaurant might be small but there's something for everyone (especially if you like seafood) 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Norway
Timeline
37 minutes ago, EllenE1230 said:

Hey everyone. If there's anyone out there who's still waiting on the interview and possibly looking for a hotel to stay the night I can really recommend the hotel just down of the road from the embassy. It's a 5 min walk away, beautiful view, great rooms, excellent service and the menu in the restaurant might be small but there's something for everyone (especially if you like seafood) 

@EllenE1230, my fiancé will have his interview on September 20. He'll be flying in the night before from Oslo - we'd appreciate the hotel info you have!

I-129F Sent: 12/29/17

I-129F NOA 1: 1/4/18

I-129F NOA 2: 7/9/18

NVC Received: 7/18/18

Consulate Received: 8/9/18

Packet 3 Received: 8/13/18

Interview Date: 9/20/18

Interview Result: Administrative Processing

*Visitor's visa interview: December 2016, called back by embassy for second interview on same visa application in January 2019 - visitor's visa finally issued May 2019.

*Fiance visa placed in administrative processing September 2018. 

*Beneficiary's Country: Norway via Iran.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, JennaL said:

@EllenE1230, my fiancé will have his interview on September 20. He'll be flying in the night before from Oslo - we'd appreciate the hotel info you have!

That's awesome! I hope it goes well :)

I was just there earlier today. It costs a bit more compared to the other hotels in the area but you aren't paying for something you're not getting. Plus I really appreciated that there was absolutely no stress about finding the embassy or getting there on time. 

And if your fiancé feels like it, there's a 10-15 min walk to some beautiful areas and buildings in the city. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Norway
Timeline
17 minutes ago, EllenE1230 said:

That's awesome! I hope it goes well :)

I was just there earlier today. It costs a bit more compared to the other hotels in the area but you aren't paying for something you're not getting. Plus I really appreciated that there was absolutely no stress about finding the embassy or getting there on time. 

And if your fiancé feels like it, there's a 10-15 min walk to some beautiful areas and buildings in the city. 

Great! What is the name of the hotel you stayed at? I hope your interview was successful :) 

I-129F Sent: 12/29/17

I-129F NOA 1: 1/4/18

I-129F NOA 2: 7/9/18

NVC Received: 7/18/18

Consulate Received: 8/9/18

Packet 3 Received: 8/13/18

Interview Date: 9/20/18

Interview Result: Administrative Processing

*Visitor's visa interview: December 2016, called back by embassy for second interview on same visa application in January 2019 - visitor's visa finally issued May 2019.

*Fiance visa placed in administrative processing September 2018. 

*Beneficiary's Country: Norway via Iran.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, JennaL said:

Great! What is the name of the hotel you stayed at? I hope your interview was successful :) 

It's called Villa Källhagen, Djurgårdsbrunnsvägen 10 :)

It went alright. My medical exam results hadn't arrived yet though. But hopefully I'll hear back from them soon enough. 

Maybe someone has any experience with that, who could help?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.