Jump to content
Cmptrsdeal

Reporting Marriage/Renewing Passport - Chicago

10 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My wife and I will going traveling to Chicago to renew her passport under her married name and report our marriage.  We are going to the Philippine Consulate in Chicago at the end of this month to get this all taken care of.  We are told by her filipina friend that lives in California, that we can disregard the the affidavit for delayed registration and they will just keep her name on her passport as her maiden name and there won't be any problem if we don't bring that paper and just bring our marriage certificate.  They said they use to require this but don't anymore.  Is this accurate?  It has been over 3 yrs since we've been married and my wife is planning on going back to the Philippines later this year.  I just want to make sure there won't be any problems with her boarding an international flight with a passport that does not have her legal name. Maybe if she just books the plane ticket under her maiden name, there won't be any issues?  Can anyone confirm the affidavit for delayed registration is no longer required?  I was not aware of her having to report our marriage was Philippine law.  I take it no consequences for not reporting your marriage right away?  Thank you so very much for any and all responses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We recently submitted our Report of Marriage too. Since Massachusetts is in the jurisdiction of the Phil. Consulate General in New York, we followed their requirements from their website. They require an affidavit for delayed report of marriage, so we submitted one too.

 

Since you're from Chicago, you may have to follow the requirements of the Philippine General Consulate in Chicago: http://www.chicagopcg.com/services_consular.html (Report of Marriage PDF, PAGE 2). Hope it helps.

Edited by dynm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, dynm said:

We recently submitted our Report of Marriage too. Since Massachusetts is in the jurisdiction of the Phil. Consulate General in New York, we followed their requirements from their website. They require an affidavit for delayed report of marriage, so we submitted one too.

 

Since you're from Chicago, you may have to follow the requirements of the Philippine General Consulate in Chicago: http://www.chicagopcg.com/services_consular.html (Report of Marriage PDF, PAGE 2). Hope it helps.

yea it shows on the Chicago site that it is required but doesn't seem like my wife is going to comply since her friend is telling her it's not needed and they'll take her paperwork without it...  so that's what I thought too...  not sure what will happen if she doesn't take the affidavit.  My other question was since it's been over the 12 months, what will our excuse me for not doing it sooner when I just learned she could have mailed it in and that would have been just as good...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cmptrsdeal said:

yea it shows on the Chicago site that it is required but doesn't seem like my wife is going to comply since her friend is telling her it's not needed and they'll take her paperwork without it... 

I'm not sure about that. From what I gather while doing research on this paperwork, Philippine consulates don't have the same requirements. So, if her friend from California claims it's not needed, then maybe she's referring to the requirements of the Philippine Consulate in California. Thankfully, the Philippine consulate in NY has a Facebook account and when I messaged them on FB, they responded that the Affidavit for delayed registration of Marriage has to be signed by both spouses, which seems like the requirements are not all the same; it depends on the state/consulate.

Edited by dynm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure where the OP lives but if time is not critical why not wait until they do an outreach to your state?  Much more convenient in most cases than going to Chicago.  My wife's passport renewal with name change took under 2 months to complete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure where the OP lives but if time is not critical why not wait until they do an outreach to your state?  Much more convenient in most cases than going to Chicago.  My wife's passport renewal with name change took under 2 months to complete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cmptrsdeal said:

My wife and I will going traveling to Chicago to renew her passport under her married name and report our marriage.  We are going to the Philippine Consulate in Chicago at the end of this month to get this all taken care of.  We are told by her filipina friend that lives in California, that we can disregard the the affidavit for delayed registration and they will just keep her name on her passport as her maiden name and there won't be any problem if we don't bring that paper and just bring our marriage certificate.  They said they use to require this but don't anymore.  Is this accurate?  It has been over 3 yrs since we've been married and my wife is planning on going back to the Philippines later this year.  I just want to make sure there won't be any problems with her boarding an international flight with a passport that does not have her legal name. Maybe if she just books the plane ticket under her maiden name, there won't be any issues?  Can anyone confirm the affidavit for delayed registration is no longer required?  I was not aware of her having to report our marriage was Philippine law.  I take it no consequences for not reporting your marriage right away?  Thank you so very much for any and all responses.

We live in California and my wife completed her ROM last summer, at the Philippine Consulate in Los Angeles.  The Affidavit for Delayed Registration was required.  It is clearly stated on their website.  I would trust the directions on the official website over a "filipina friend".

Edited by Mountain Climber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cmptrsdeal said:

My wife and I will going traveling to Chicago to renew her passport under her married name and report our marriage.  We are going to the Philippine Consulate in Chicago at the end of this month to get this all taken care of.  We are told by her filipina friend that lives in California, that we can disregard the the affidavit for delayed registration and they will just keep her name on her passport as her maiden name and there won't be any problem if we don't bring that paper and just bring our marriage certificate.  They said they use to require this but don't anymore.  Is this accurate?  It has been over 3 yrs since we've been married and my wife is planning on going back to the Philippines later this year.  I just want to make sure there won't be any problems with her boarding an international flight with a passport that does not have her legal name. Maybe if she just books the plane ticket under her maiden name, there won't be any issues?  Can anyone confirm the affidavit for delayed registration is no longer required?  I was not aware of her having to report our marriage was Philippine law.  I take it no consequences for not reporting your marriage right away?  Thank you so very much for any and all responses.

When traveling internationally the airline ticket MUST match the name in the passport.   

 

There is no issue with the passport and airfare being in your wife's maiden name, simply carry a copy of your marriage certificate should there be a question regarding the name difference between the green card and other documents (many before you have done this without issue)

 

 

9 hours ago, Cmptrsdeal said:

yea it shows on the Chicago site that it is required but doesn't seem like my wife is going to comply since her friend is telling her it's not needed and they'll take her paperwork without it...  so that's what I thought too...  not sure what will happen if she doesn't take the affidavit.  My other question was since it's been over the 12 months, what will our excuse me for not doing it sooner when I just learned she could have mailed it in and that would have been just as good...

Worse advice is when it contradicts what the embassy states.  Do not follow "the friends" advice, follow the requirements as stated on the embassy/consulate website.

 

What will your excuse be?    Don't know, why didn't you do it earlier, that is your excuse?

Edited by Sagot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad your wife had a change of heart and decided to file the late registration.  If you'll had shown up and they required it, then your trying to paddle up that creek with no paddle.  It's best to follow the requirements as posted at the Consulate you are required to file with.  We have seen different requirements from different jurisdictions. Hey, it's the Philippines.

 

For those who are traveling if you carry your marriage certificate then you have proof of your identity even if your passport shows a different name.  Many have used this without any problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×