MarkPerry

Obama Ambassadors Are Told to Quit Posts by Inauguration Day

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

WASHINGTON — President-elect Donald J. Trump’s transition staff has issued a blanket edict requiring politically appointed ambassadors to leave their overseas posts by Inauguration Day, according to several American diplomats familiar with the plan, breaking with decades of precedent by declining to provide even the briefest of grace periods.

The mandate — issued “without exceptions,” according to a terse State Department cable sent on Dec. 23, diplomats who saw it said — threatens to leave the United States without Senate-confirmed envoys for months in critical nations like Germany, Canada and Britain. In the past, administrations of both parties have often granted extensions on a case-by-case basis to allow a handful of ambassadors, particularly those with school-age children, to remain in place for weeks or months.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/in-break-with-past-obama-ambassadors-are-told-to-quit-posts-by-inauguration-day/ar-BBxWVBm?ocid=spartanntp

Am I reading the article right in that Trump does not have replacements set up to start on Day 1 for all of the places? So it's important to end roles, but not as important to have new people to start them?

16 minutes ago, bcking said:

Am I reading the article right in that Trump does not have replacements set up to start on Day 1 for all of the places? So it's important to end roles, but not as important to have new people to start them?

What I got out of the article is he wants these Snowflakes out.  Like sweeping the place clean.  So there is no chance of Obamas liberal views left.   Trump is cleaning house

14 minutes ago, bcking said:

Don't you think it is a reasonable question to ask though? Do we have replacements for all of them? If there is someone lined up I agree there is no use skirting around it, they should be out and the new one in ASAP. That makes sense.

If no one is in line to replace the posting for months, that's a little different. Then it's just mostly vindictive and a little childish. Sort of like repealing Obamacare without having any plan to replace. Get rid of it fine, but you need to know what you are doing afterwards other than "Something so great, so much better". 

I understand Trump wants to "clean house" but I'm not really sure it's smart to clean a house so thoroughly that it ends up empty. If these posts can sit vacant then what do they actually do? Do we really even need them?

Here is my take, From a Alpha Male Point of View.

We are the USA, We are the most powerful nation in the world, we make the rules.   I suspect a lot of Ambassador roles given in the past was based on a reward for supporting Obama,  A basic reward and a paycheck.  

:lol: some round these parts used to say the office of potus is a figurehead - don't do much. trump's fallback, i suppose, as he fails miserably. but that's what happens when you've got a uneducated novice playing world leader.

What usually happens when there is a gap between ambassadorial appointments is they appoint an experienced career diplomat as Chargé d'Affaires - basically the top person in charge who will take on all the roles and duties of the ambassador until a new one is appointed. It's a way of maintaining diplomatic relations and keeping the embassy running.  

But the Chargé presents their credentials to the other country's foreign minster rather than head of state so they don't have the same access and sway in diplomatic efforts as the ambassador would. 

10 minutes ago, Trellick said:

What usually happens when there is a gap between ambassadorial appointments is they appoint an experienced career diplomat as Chargé d'Affaires - basically the top person in charge who will take on all the roles and duties of the ambassador until a new one is appointed. It's a way of maintaining diplomatic relations and keeping the embassy running.  

But the Chargé presents their credentials to the other country's foreign minster rather than head of state so they don't have the same access and sway in diplomatic efforts as the ambassador would. 

Thanks for that information. I wasn't aware of the process

1 hour ago, MarkPerry said:

I see Ambassadors are mostly a figurehead, really don't do much.  If he does or doesn't have people lined up, I don't see it being an issue.  

Oh okay, so if ambassadors are figureheads, don't do much, are useless pieces of swamptrash - then Stevens really didn't matter to you after all...

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

1 hour ago, yuna628 said:

Oh okay, so if ambassadors are figureheads, don't do much, are useless pieces of swamptrash - then Stevens really didn't matter to you after all...

All lives mater