WiscoMegs

Filed Expired form-no previous edition accepted

10 posts in this topic

Hello! So slightly freaking out here and tried to find some information on this wonderful forum but I'm coming up empty-handed all help is welcomed :)

As of today my husband and I's I-130 petition has been received at the Chicago Lockbox! Even after quadruple checking everything before we sent it from Argentina on January 2nd  of course I wasn't paying attention to the expiration date of the form (12/31/2016) So seeing that I instantly panicked realizing we had sent the old version of the form I-130 and on the USCIS website it clearly states that no previous forms will be accepted. So I'm wondering whether to completely cancel my case to resend it and stop payment on my check or wait for the dreaded notification that our case has been rejected and that's a wrap. Please and thank you :)

Update: New edition dated 12/23/16. Starting 02/21/17,USCIS will only accept the 12/23/16 edition. Until then, you can use previous editions. However, all filings postmarked 12/23/16 or later must include the new fees or we will reject them. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the Form and Instructions.

Edited by WiscoMegs

What's funny is that I totally did submit the right fee! Now I'm just confused by the date 2/21/2017 does this mean the form has to be in their hands for review by that date or just received in the mail by that date? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

21 hours ago, OiaSon said:

Hi WiscoMegs,

Same struggle here, unfortunately. Did you send the correct fee by the way? The new fee for I-130 is 535...

Is that the fee that was 420 $ that has gone up to 535 $?

Edited by Ryan H
Reason for edit: to remove double quotation.

If you downloaded the form from the USCIS website, it's likely the most updated version of the form despite likely having an expiration date that's passed.  

Really the only time the expiration date on that form is important to pay attention to, is when they've drastically changed it.  Once they change it, you'll only be able to download the newest form on their website but they often accept old versions for a few months.  

The expiration date on the form isn't for us, but for internal government workings. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

BTW, if the form isn't the correct expiration date, in the past what they have done is send the whole thing back and make you resend it. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

23 minutes ago, NikLR said:

If you downloaded the form from the USCIS website, it's likely the most updated version of the form despite likely having an expiration date that's passed.  

Really the only time the expiration date on that form is important to pay attention to, is when they've drastically changed it.  Once they change it, you'll only be able to download the newest form on their website but they often accept old versions for a few months.  

The expiration date on the form isn't for us, but for internal government workings. 

Oh yes I kind of got that in previous posts about ignoring the expiration date :) They updated the form on 12/23 which we sent it on 1/2 and luckily I think they are accepting the form I sent before 2/21 but it's unclear it that means by the time they received it or by the time they accept/reject our petition. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.