Avia

No learner's permit. Can i still learn to drive in parking lot?

8 posts in this topic

Hello. I am 37 learning how to drive in Dallas , Texas from one of my close relative. I havent got a learner's permit yet. My question is, is it ok to learn driving in a supermarket parking lot? Can i sit in the driver seat and drive around inside the parking lot? I dont want to get into any trouble like if i am breaking some law or something.

I applied for ROC in may 2016 from Vermont then moved to Texas and still waiting for my new green card to be approved. I tried once to apply for learner's permit but they were asking me to return my new Texas State Id  to them. They said you cant keep state id and license at the same time so i think they were going to destroy my state id. I am not sure but i think i paid 16 dollars or more for the state id. I have only the Texas State Id as my id proof right now, since green card expired,so if i give that to them and i dont pass the permit test or the driving test then i wouldnt have any id proof with me and i need it to apply for full time jobs and for higher education etc.

Any suggestions please for my situation.

Edited by Avia

Driving laws vary by state, so I'll defer to somebody form TX for confirmation. That said, generally I would assume the answer is the same as it is in the northeast US: yes and no. On private property with explicit permission? Yes. On public property or private property without explicit permission? No. For your example of a supermarket parking lot, the answer would be "no" unless you can somehow get an OK from management...which is unlikely as liability for any accidents would likely fall on them.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Timeline

With out getting too technical- NO! You can not operate a car in any form with out a license or permit (and accompanying driver).  In any form means just that. 

I know 'parking lots' seem to not be considered "public roads" but they actually sort of are in the eyes of the law. They are private property of the place that own them but they are accessible to the public. So you know how they have stop signs and such in them? You can get a ticket for not stopping at one of them INSIDE a lot. It seems crazy cause the lot is not public property- but since its a weird area of the law public use of private property stuff (which is why they are allowed the stop sign)

I know my answer isnt really that technical and Im sorry. I dont have time to look up the exact wording of the laws. But its exactly like geo said above. If it was your own private paved acreage then it would be different.  

I would go ahead and get your driving permit (learners Permit) it is good for like 5 years. I just went thru the same stuff a few months ago in Texas.  They just changed the law about not having a ID and Driver License or Learner permit at the same time.  

Generally if you have a licensed driver and insurance with you then the police don't care, and will understand. Police can't write tickets on private property for driving.

In our case, just go get the Learner Permit, It looks just like a Texas Driver's License.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No. 

Grab a driver's book for your state, study it, and then go pass the learners test. Once you have a learners permit, then you are allowed to drive a vehicle as long as you have a fully licensed driver in the passenger seat. 

A learner's permit superscedes a state ID as a learners permit IS a state ID + permission to learn how to drive a vehicle, which is why it replaces it, similar to how a green card replaces the EAD/AP combo card. 

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

1 hour ago, zilchfox said:

A learner's permit superscedes a state ID as a learners permit IS a state ID + permission to learn how to drive a vehicle, which is why it replaces it, similar to how a green card replaces the EAD/AP combo card. 

Not in Texas, It doesn't supercede it.

The OP could easily apply for a Concealed Handgun Licenses  or License to Carry, it wouldn't supersede any other license issued by Texas DOT,

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

in Michigan here and when I arrived I was able to get insured on my Irish driver's license on my wife's car and then when I got my learner's permit I got the insurance transferred to that. Then again when i got my full Michigan licence. Insurance is with Auto Owner's

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You are not allowed to operate a vehicle in any public space.  A parking lot is an open space, so you will need at least a learner's permit to drive.

Your passport can serve as your ID.

Your expired green card and notice of ROC shows your legal status.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.