Stephen Spencer

Signed a lease before getting K1 - Will it come back to bite me?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am Canadian. My fiancee is a permanent resident of New Jersey (her family home is there, her driver's license is still NJ, she voted there, etc.), but has been living in Philadelphia and working there since August.

Before she rented the apartment, we had submitted our initial petition. When she rented the apartment, the landlord asked if anyone else would be staying in the apartment during the dates indicated on the lease, we said that I would eventually be immigrating and would be staying with her. I was required to sign the lease. 

Is this OK? I was only in the country on a tourist visa.

Should I put this address on the DS-160 form? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to K1 P&P from General Polls- As the OP is aking about the K1 process and forms.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

LPRs cannot do K1.  Is she a USC or LPR as you stated?

I assume you meant a resident not permanent resident? After all she voted?

You arent a US resident yet so no dont put the us address. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

You should not list the US adress but it is fine that you are listed on the lease. Me and my now husband did the same. I was visiting in February 2016 and we both signed the lease to the apartment and we didn't file the K-1 until mid March. It was approved and nobody asked about it at any time. Just make sure to not list the Adress on any documents as your residence.

ROC

Window opened:                 15 OCT 2019

Sent:                                      16 OCT 2019

Arrived at Dalles Lockbox: 21 OCT 2019

Timeline
12 hours ago, aaron2020 said:

If you list a US address as a residence, then you will be admitting that you lived illegally in the US.  Bad idea.

If you were visiting, then you should not list a US residence.

I will not be listing the address as a residence. But on the DS-160, it asks: "Where will you be staying in the US?" ...I will be staying at the apartment where I've signed a lease. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, smallgirlbigworld said:

You should not list the US adress but it is fine that you are listed on the lease. Me and my now husband did the same. I was visiting in February 2016 and we both signed the lease to the apartment and we didn't file the K-1 until mid March. It was approved and nobody asked about it at any time. Just make sure to not list the Adress on any documents as your residence.

When you filled out the DS-160, you must have listed the apartment as the place you will be staying, yeah? It asks "Where will you be staying in the US?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
Just now, Stephen Spencer said:

When you filled out the DS-160, you must have listed the apartment as the place you will be staying, yeah? It asks "Where will you be staying in the US?"

Yes i have listed that address under that question.

ROC

Window opened:                 15 OCT 2019

Sent:                                      16 OCT 2019

Arrived at Dalles Lockbox: 21 OCT 2019

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.