JQ85

Nervous about how we met.. Though common.

47 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, JQ85 said:

Hi guys,

My fiance is from the Philippines and we met 3 years ago on a site called ChristianDatingForFree.com. Well... We have emails galore, I have two visits under my belt etc... So good, solid evidence (pics, passport stamps)...

The only thing I'm nervous about now is how we met. Someone suggest to NEVER say you met online, but we obviously don't want to lie.. I've searched similar posts and just want some fresh suggestions etc.

I already receieved a letter from the website stating they are NOT a marriage broker.

People have said "if you met online, expect an RFE"... Logically, you would suggest I send the letter from the website with my 129 packet (the "not a marriage broker letter"... But I'm worried if I send that from the start and STILL get an RFE, I wont have a backup plan...

Has anybody else used that specific website wr met on?? Is it true that if they say "we need marriage broker paperwork" that isn't real or unobtainable, we'll be royally stuck or screwed?

Nervous here... Need the advice of this amazing forum.

I met my wife on-line.  6 weeks later I visited her in person in the Philippines.  7 days later we were married in the Philippines.  Less than 10 months later, almost to the day she flew with me to the US.  Did I mention that I was 54 and she was 19 when we got married?  Many so-called "red flags" can be overcome with proper preparation and a  truly genuine relationship.  We always told the truth including our meeting on a dating web site.  I also attended her interview with her at the US Embassy in Manila.  BTW:  We are 29 weeks pregnant today and so very happily married.  Good luck to you and yours.  God Bless you both.  david

3 hours ago, Chair_force1 said:

My question is this... after all the RFE sent out asking for proof a dating site isn't a marriage broker , why do they still need these statements.  Obviously they have heard of every dating site by now used to meet people overseas and I'm sure they have already received proof for these sites aren't brokers.  I would think this shouldn't generate a RFE unless a new dating site pops up.  

Aahh, but that would make sense.  Very little sense in the immigration process.   God Bless 

don't lie I am  not sure who is telling you to not mention it but me and my fiance met on Facebook and we got approved now we are re-adjusting.. So be honest and good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
55 minutes ago, Kumar01 said:

Disclosing the fact that you two met online only requires you to do one extra step. That is you have to say how and through which agency you met. Even then I believe the IMBRA criteria only applies if it was a "paid" matchmaking site. Otherwise if you met through a gaming system, then it's not a matchmaking site and it's not under IMBRA. You will just have to be forthcoming say you met online. Select "no" that you met through an IMB service.

I'm curious what exactly you're supposed to say for "how" when it's on an online dating site. I recently sent my I-129F in, and I said we met on X website, I first messaged her on X exact date. We then began messaging daily, etc. and included a print out of our very first chat (also included printout of website T&C's). Then went on to describe in detail our first in-person meeting. Think this is enough? Or are you supposed to say something along the lines of "While browsing profiles on X website, I came across her profile and liked the way she looked, so I sent her a message"? 

I thought it seemed ridiculous to say "how", as that's kind of the whole premise of online dating sites. But it looks like there have been a couple recent RFEs for exactly that. 

FYI - I have a written statement from OkCupid support confirming the site is not an IMB. I'd be happy to send this to anyone who might need it. 

Edited by PhotoJ89

K1

I-129F Sent :                                       2017-01-03

I-129F NOA1 :                                     2017-01-12

I-129F NOA2 :                                     2017-04-12

NVC Received :                                   2017-05-08

Consulate Received :                          2017-05-12

Packet 3 Received :                             2017-05-15

Interview (Approved) :                        2017-06-06

Visa Received:                                    2017 06-15

US Entry (POE: Houston):                   2017 06-26

AOS

I-485 Combo Sent:                              2017-08-01

I-485 NOA1:                                        2017 08-07

Biometrics:                                         2017 08-23

I-131 Approval:                                   2017 10-16

I-765 Approval:                                   2017 10-16

Interview (No Decision)                      2017 10-25

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
8 hours ago, millefleur said:

It's been the 21st century for a while now. I would even go so far as to saying meeting offline/in person is the exception here on VJ.

As long as it isn't a 'mail order bride' type site, you'll be fine! Like the others said: where you met is kind of irrelevant if you have strong evidence of a real relationship.

This. I met my fiancee in a coffee shop. I feel like I'm in the minority. Never lie. This process is too long to have it all go to waste if you get to the interview stage and it comes out that you weren't truthful.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Meeting online is common. NEVER lie to the US Embassy!  My fiancé and I met on filipinocupid.com and took our relationship shortly after to other communications and removed our profiles off the site.

She was approved with a number of various detailed questions at her interview. The I129 was approved to go to the NVC without an RFE. Just be organized, honest and present enough evidence and you will be just fine.  To help my process, I asked questions like you did here, and I also got a book from nolo.com and took my time getting it all together. If it takes you some time then so much the better as in my experience. Just be mindful of the deadlines in the process. 

Good luck to you both!

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
17 hours ago, JQ85 said:

Hi guys,

My fiance is from the Philippines and we met 3 years ago on a site called ChristianDatingForFree.com. Well... We have emails galore, I have two visits under my belt etc... So good, solid evidence (pics, passport stamps)...

The only thing I'm nervous about now is how we met. Someone suggest to NEVER say you met online, but we obviously don't want to lie.. I've searched similar posts and just want some fresh suggestions etc.

I already receieved a letter from the website stating they are NOT a marriage broker.

People have said "if you met online, expect an RFE"... Logically, you would suggest I send the letter from the website with my 129 packet (the "not a marriage broker letter"... But I'm worried if I send that from the start and STILL get an RFE, I wont have a backup plan...

Has anybody else used that specific website wr met on?? Is it true that if they say "we need marriage broker paperwork" that isn't real or unobtainable, we'll be royally stuck or screwed?

Nervous here... Need the advice of this amazing forum.

You actually have nothing to worry about. 

How you spent time and the amount of time you physically spent together after you met is far more important than how you met.  Dating sites are not and have never been classified as "marriage broker" sites.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

My application got approved even though I stated we met online, specifically OkCupid website. They required RFE from us but we handle it fairly well as long as you fulfilled their questions. Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You'll be fine. My spouse and I met online through deviantart.com (an artist and creativity website) and I'm currently in AOS from a K-1 visa. The COs probably EXPECT most people interviewed have met their significant others online in this day and age. It might have been weird for 1997, but definitely not for 2017.

We have never received an RFE for any part of the process, ever.

Edited by zilchfox

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

we met online and we were approved and no RFE. Don't worry...

N-400 Timeline

• 2020.03.08 -- Naturalization filing window opened
  • 2020.03.09 -- N-400 filed and feed paid online
  • 2020.03.14 -- Email/Text notifications received that biometrics appt scheduled
  • 2020.03.14 -- NOA of case receipt received via USPS
  • 2020.03.20 -- Biometrics appointment notification received via USPS
  • 2020.03.30 -- Received email notification that biometrics appt scheduled for April 2 canceled due to Covid19
  • 2020.04.02 -- Biometrics scheduled for 1:00 PM canceled due to Covid-19
  • 2020.08.07 -- Myuscis update: biometrics being reused
  • 2020.08.14 -- NOA of biometrics reuse received via USPS
  • 2020.09.30 -- E-notifications received that interview has been scheduled
  • 2020.11.05 -- N-400 interview scheduled for 12:45 PM
  • 2020.11.05 -- Citizenship approved and oath administered! 

ROC Timeline

• 2019.03.08 -- ROC 90-Day Filing Window Opened
  • 2019.03.08 -- Mailed 1-751 and G-1145 to Phoenix (via UPS)
  • 2019.03.12 -- 1-751 and G-1145 delivered to Phoenix (via UPS)
  • 2019.03.12 -- 1-751 official submission date
  • 2019.03.15 -- I-797 (NOA 1)  LIN=Nebraska Service Center
  • 2019.03.18 -- Text message notification received: file receipt confirmation || Check for application + biometrics fees processed
  • 2019.03.18 -- NOA1 received via USPS (18-month Green Card extension)
  • 2019.09.06 -- I-797C NOA Biometrics Appointment notice date
  • 2019.09.13 -- I-797C NOA Biometrics Appointment notice receive (via USPS)
  • 2019.09.20 -- Biometrics (walk in) … originally scheduled for 2019.09.26 @ 9:00 AM 
  • 2020.03.10 -- E-notification that interview appointment scheduled
  • 2020.03.16 -- Interview appt notification receive via USPS
  • 2020.04.14 -- Interview scheduled for 7:30 AM canceled due to Covid-19
  • 2020.05.22 -- App status updated "New Card Is Being Produced"  and will be mailed
  • 2020.05.22 -- App status updated "Case Approved"
  • 2020.05.26 -- I-797 NOA received via USPS Approval Notice
  • 2020.05.27 -- App status updated to "Card Was Mailed to Me"
  • 2020.05.28 -- App status updated to "Card Was Picked Up By The United States Postal Service"; USPS tracking app shows expected delivery date of June 1, 2020
  • 2020.05.29 -- Permanent Green Card received via USPS Priority Mail

AOS Timeline

• 2016.12.30 -- AOS, EAD, and AP applications delivered to Chicago PO
  • 2017.01.21 -- NOA1's received via USPS for I-485 (AOS),  I-131 (AP), and I-765 (EAD)
  • 2017.02.24 -- Biometrics Appointment
  • 2017.04.20 -- AOS & EAD approved; NOA2's received via USPS on 2017.04.23
  • 2017.04.29 -- EAD & AP combo card received
  • 2017.06.06 -- AOS approved!
  • 2017.06.10 -- 2-YR Green Card received

K-1 Visa Timeline

• 2016.04.18 -- I-129F Received by USCIS
  • 2016.04.20 -- I-129F NOA1
  • 2016.06.29 -- NOA
  • 2016.08.15 -- Bangkok Embassy received our case from NVC
  • 2016.08.23 -- Packet 3 sent to Embassy in Bangkok
  • 2016.08.26 -- Packet 4 email received from Embassy
  • 2016.09.05 -- Medical exam @ 10:30 AM @ BNH
  • 2016.09.07 -- Interview @ 7:30 AM...Visa approved
  • 2016.09.09 -- Visa Received
  • 2016.10.02 -- Entered USA (POE LAX)
  • 2016.11.18...Our Wedding Day 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country:
Timeline

My husband and I "met" online as teenagers and met in person a few years after that. We included all evidence from out first visit, up until we filed for our visa and had no issues. I think these days most people meet online anyhow, I don't think it should be an issue. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

We met on OKCupid (a huge, free, international site one would think USCIS is aware of) and got an RFE.  I sent in the terms and conditions as recommended by another VJ user and we were approved with no further problems. I definitely recommend front loading your application with your letter from the website the two of you connected on to save yourself the additional few weeks of receiving an RFE and replying. Meeting online is no issue at all but some USCIS employees seem to be more thorough than others so it doesn't hurt to cover your bases in the first round of application materials. Best of luck to you :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.