smm

Proving intent to re-establish domicile [DCF - London]

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello all,

I am trying to work out if I can reasonably make the claim that I am intending to re-establish domicile:

I have been living abroad for 7+ years and so am clearly not domiciled in the USA.

I do not own property in the USA.

I do not have a rental agreement.

Drivers license expired (cannot renew online).

I have maintained two separate US investment accounts with two different US financial institutions.

Visa Debit card in my name linked to a US financial institution.

Active voting record registered to my mother's house (my previous address prior to leaving the USA) and also the address where we will be initially staying.

I have paid all relevant state and federal taxes since residing abroad.

I have applied to college to study and can show correspondence between myself and admissions director.

Other than this the only thing I can think of would be to get a rental agreement from my mother as this is the address where we will be staying initially.

I know there is no clear cut way of proving intent to re-establish domicile and each application is judged on its merits, but any feedback, tips, etc would be appreciated from your past experience either directly in the process or having read here on this forum.

Thank you in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

A lot of people get a written statement from their parent(s) saying that they intend to live there once they arrive in the US. This is what I'm planning to do as well. For what I've read on VJ, it works in most cases for young people who obviously don't own their own homes.

Sometimes people also show a temporary residence abroad (if you have a visa that's expiring, for a work contract that is ending, etc.) as proof of intent to re-establish domicile. I've even heard of people including quotes from international moving companies. Basically anything which shows that you are also leaving your current domicile abroad can be helpful as well.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

I scrounged around on VJ for the letter I wrote to the consulate in London to present at the interview to show I had reestablished domicile -- bear in mind this was almost 10 (sweet jesus) years ago but it can give you an idea of what has worked in the past. I had been living in the UK for 12 years and had zero ties to the US (no driver's license, no credit cards, zip). You should get the letter from your parents if possible -- I didn't have one, but it might have helped. There were so few DCF cases through London back then on VJ that we were sort of making it up as we went along.

I found my letter detailing re-establishment of domicile AT LAST! I will scan and remove some of the personal info, and post.

22 May 2007 

The Embassy of the United States of America 
Consular Section - Visa Services 
24 Grosvenor Square 
London 
W1A 1AE 

To whom it may concern: 

RE-ESTABLISHMENT OF US DOMICILE FOR ELMCITYMAVEN 

I write this letter in connection with the Immigrant Visa application LND2007XXXXXX for my husband, Jim Bob Elmcitymaven. I understand that I must show that I have made and continue to make efforts towards re-establishing US domicile in order to process and approve my husband's application. To that end, I append the following documents to show that I have re-established domicile in Random City, Connecticut: 

• Checking and savings accounts at the Bank of America (Hamden, CT branch) established March 2007 in my name, showing my address as 123 Whatever Avenue, Random City, CT 06555; 
• A letter dated 28 February 2007 from Social Security Administration detailing my accrued benefits, showing the same address; 
• A letter from my line manager, John Quincy Publick, confirming that I have informally tendered my resignation pending approval of my husband's immigrant visa; and 
• Email correspondence between Mary-Louise Smith, General Counsel of BigARSE Pension Fund, a $400m pension fund located in New York City, and myself showing I am being headhunted to become Director of Smartarsery for the fund. 

I have also taken other steps to secure employment upon our arrival in Connecticut, including extensive networking with US colleagues and pursuing leads from directors of the Smith Centre for Smartarsery and Skiving at the Poison Ivy School of Management. Indeed, I was asked to attend an informal interview at the Centre but it has unfortunately clashed with the date of my husband's interview at the Embassy. I am also following up leads for positions within my field at the California State Surfers’ Retirement System, the Los Angeles County Dossers Retirement Agency, Los Angeles City Sycophants Retirement System and Majuscule Group, a large investment manager. 

I have not formally resigned from my job, but I have informed my line manager and the company chief executive of my plans, and that my departure is contingent on my husband's visa approval. My line manager has agreed that my resignation will date from the day of any approval. 

I have also arranged living accommodation for my husband and myself on arrival. My parents have generously allowed us use of an entire floor of their house for as long as needed to establish a separate residence. As we rent our flat in London and the notice required to quit our flat is one month, I have not yet informed our landlord of our plans as we do not wish to lose our London residence should the visa be denied or delayed. 

I hope that the steps I have taken to re-establish residence are sufficient. I am eager to take any further steps that may be required if my actions prove unsatisfactory. 

Yours faithfully 

ELIZABETH ELMCITYMAVEN

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi @smm,

I'm also in the same situation. My wife (US citizen) has been working abroad for 6 years, but still has plenty of proof of her ties to US (Bank accounts, transferred funds, driver's license, paid taxes, voter's record, parents letter agreeing we can stay with them, as well as showing our work contracts abroad and rental agreement abroad will soon end.)

On form I-864 my wife must state: 'Country of Domicile'. Would she therefore put US (as she has a lot of proof of maintaining ties) or should she put UK (and explain the plan to re-establish domicile, explaining the above?)

Any help would be appreciated.

9 hours ago, MikMac said:

Hi @smm,

I'm also in the same situation. My wife (US citizen) has been working abroad for 6 years, but still has plenty of proof of her ties to US (Bank accounts, transferred funds, driver's license, paid taxes, voter's record, parents letter agreeing we can stay with them, as well as showing our work contracts abroad and rental agreement abroad will soon end.)

On form I-864 my wife must state: 'Country of Domicile'. Would she therefore put US (as she has a lot of proof of maintaining ties) or should she put UK (and explain the plan to re-establish domicile, explaining the above?)

Any help would be appreciated.

I am in the same situation and after reading a lot about Domicile, I believe that she has more than enough to prove US Domicile, Voter records, Taxes filed, US Drivers License and Bank accounts are more than enough to proof ties to the US, in addition she can add that she will relocate  after visa issuance, etc.  I will be doing the same soon.

my 2 cents.

Petition for Spouse

I-130 Filed DCF Frankfurt  - 17JAN17

Fee Charged/Priority date - 20JAN17

Official Receipt - 24JAN17

I-130 APPROVED - 10MAR17 (45days)

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

As per what i have understood,

Only a person who claims domicile in the USA can even petition for an applicant. 

Domicile can be proven by either actual domicile or intent to domicile.

Intent to domicile can be proven by 

renewing your driving licence.

getting a phone number

registration for voting

enrolling kid/s into US schools

buying/renting/ a residence

Seeking a residence or related correspondence

paying taxes

getting a credit card in the US

opening a bank account in the US and putting money into it

correspondence with potential empoyers

An actual job

At the same time,

Cutting ties with country presently residing, which can include-

leaving job here

selling assets/house etc

taking kids out of school 

Terminating various contracts and services that one tends to have where one lives

Hence, country of domicile must be USA. Mailing Address should be your address in the USA and physical address should be where one is presently living (whichever foreign country)

Timeline

I am hoping that someone will confirm, that if

Petitioner and sponsor is living abroad to qualify for DCF for spouse/family,

Then on form 864, should country of domicile be USA or the country where one is resident.

What should be the mailing address?

What should be the physical address?

Actually, physical address is clear, cause that will be the country in which one is filing DCF.

But what about country of domicile and mailing address.

If one writes USA, its wrong cause one is abroad.

On the other hand, if one writes a foreign country than one cannot be a petitioner/sponsor.

Hoping for an authoratative reply on this.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Got my visa approval....to answer my own question for the benefit of others....

the 864 i submitted had country of domicile of petitioner as U.S.A.

Mailing address was proposed address in the U.S.A

Physical address was present address in the country where we filed dcf.

Seemed to work fine for us.

hope this is of some use to anyone reading this.

rgds.

• 2 years later...
On 3/6/2017 at 2:21 PM, patriot10 said:

Got my visa approval....to answer my own question for the benefit of others....

the 864 i submitted had country of domicile of petitioner as U.S.A.

Mailing address was proposed address in the U.S.A

Physical address was present address in the country where we filed dcf.

Seemed to work fine for us.

hope this is of some use to anyone reading this.

rgds.

Hello! 

I came across this and I know it’s from quite some time ago but wanted to query something..

the mailing and physical address in question above is in reference to the I-864 however on the I-130, do you do the same where you put the mailing address as the US address and UK address as the physical one?

if someone could clarify please. 

2 hours ago, FA081 said:

the mailing and physical address in question above is in reference to the I-864 however on the I-130, do you do the same where you put the mailing address as the US address and UK address as the physical one?

if someone could clarify please. 

It is literally right there on the form.  List the physical addresses start with the most current on.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~3 year old thread locked to further replies. Please start your own thread if you have questions for your case.~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.