zizou2017

Tax forms required to file Married Jointly

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

I am collecting all the forms to get my wife, currently living abroad, an ITIN. She worked only 4 months during 2016 tax year, so I figured it would get me a good tax break, and it would somehow solidify the bona fide of the relationship. I know I would have to mail the return with the W-7, and a statement electing her as resident for tax purposes only, since we got married on September 2016.

My questions are the following:

1. Is there a software that will take care of the return without the ITIN since we are shooting down two birds with one stone, Tax return+ ITIN application? Ideally what would happen is getting her approved for ITIN first and then my refund will be processed.

2. If I fail to find a software to compute all the calculations and exemptions. What are the forms in addition to 1040 (Individual Income Tax) that are needed?

3. How do you include a foreign income when you file married jointly?

Thank you

~~moved to taxes and finances during immigration from K3 process and procedures~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 1/4/2017 at 1:16 PM, zizou2017 said:

I am collecting all the forms to get my wife, currently living abroad, an ITIN. She worked only 4 months during 2016 tax year, so I figured it would get me a good tax break, and it would somehow solidify the bona fide of the relationship. I know I would have to mail the return with the W-7, and a statement electing her as resident for tax purposes only, since we got married on September 2016.

My questions are the following:

1. Is there a software that will take care of the return without the ITIN since we are shooting down two birds with one stone, Tax return+ ITIN application? Ideally what would happen is getting her approved for ITIN first and then my refund will be processed.

2. If I fail to find a software to compute all the calculations and exemptions. What are the forms in addition to 1040 (Individual Income Tax) that are needed?

3. How do you include a foreign income when you file married jointly?

Thank you

You could probably try running it through TurboTax and probably try inputting a "placeholder" so you can finalize the return to the point of printing it. At this point, you can either download all the forms and attachments needed and fill-in just the same as the TurboTax version or try to get the software to print without the SSN/ITIN. If you end up printing with your "placeholder", I've seen some people use white-out but be careful if you use white-out to make sure you apply to any part of any page that has that "placeholder" printed.

Nobody can really advise you as to what other forms, besides the 1040, would be needed in your situation. Forms, attachments and schedules are determined by the individual's specific needs based on the circumstances. Quick tip, take a look at Form 2555 for the availability of the exclusion of foreign earned income.

Here's an IRS link with some tips for reporting foreign income and includes links to other publications that would help you out: 

https://www.irs.gov/uac/reporting-foreign-income-eight-tax-tips-from-the-irs-1

Good luck :thumbs: 

Maria ~ U.S. Citizen

K-1 & K-2 Process (Completed in 4 mos. 8 days)

1/19/16: I-129F Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight

4/1/16: NOA2 Approval :dancing:

5/17/16: Interview :star: - APPROVED :dance:

5/25/16 Visas in hand! :thumbs: 

8/5/16: Wedding (L)

AOS/EAD/AP Process, K-1 & K-2 (Completed in 4 mos. 15 days)

9/21/16: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

10/24/16: AOS Cases (I-864) RFIE recv'd hardcopy [Day 29]

12/23/16: AOS Case Status Updates - Interview Scheduled, text recv'd [Day 94] :dancing:

1/17/17: EAD/AP Combo Card recv'd via USPS Priority Mail [Day 119]

1/27/17: AOS Interview :star: - APPROVED!! :dance:  [Day 129 / 120 w/ 9day RFIE delay]

1/27/17: AOS Case status update - Approved | 1/31/17: New Card in Production | 2/1/17: Card Was Mailed

2/4/17: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:

ROC Process, Spouse & 2 Step-Sons (Completed in 23 mos. 22 days)

1/25/19: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

1/29/19: NOA notice date, text & email recv'd, routed to CSC

2/1/19: NOA 18mo. Extension Letter arrived in the mail, for wife only [Day 7]

3/13/19: Filed SR for non-receipt of NOA for I-751A dependents [Day 48] | 3/21/19: Recv'd NOA for 2 stepsons [Day 56]

4/29/19: Biometrics (Scheduled) Appt Completed [Day 95]

8/28/20: Case Status Update - RFE [Day 582 ~ 19 mos. 4 days] | 11/20/20: Case Status Update - RFE response recv'd [Day 666 ~ 21 mos. 27 days]

1/7/21: Case Status Update - New Card in Production :dance: [Day 714 ~ 23 mos. 14 days] 

1/15/21: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:[Day 722 ~ 23 mos. 22 days]

All done for now! :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Thank you. H&R block also does a great job in situation like that...you need to upgrade to Deluxe version costing $34.99, however, it pays off. I have done a comparison with TurboTax and with H&R block you get a better return.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Either software should produce the same result since the numbers don't change. Just the same as if you go with an independent tax preparer - the end result should not be any different if the return is being done correctly and credits/deductions are being maximized.

Good luck! :thumbs: 

Maria ~ U.S. Citizen

K-1 & K-2 Process (Completed in 4 mos. 8 days)

1/19/16: I-129F Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight

4/1/16: NOA2 Approval :dancing:

5/17/16: Interview :star: - APPROVED :dance:

5/25/16 Visas in hand! :thumbs: 

8/5/16: Wedding (L)

AOS/EAD/AP Process, K-1 & K-2 (Completed in 4 mos. 15 days)

9/21/16: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

10/24/16: AOS Cases (I-864) RFIE recv'd hardcopy [Day 29]

12/23/16: AOS Case Status Updates - Interview Scheduled, text recv'd [Day 94] :dancing:

1/17/17: EAD/AP Combo Card recv'd via USPS Priority Mail [Day 119]

1/27/17: AOS Interview :star: - APPROVED!! :dance:  [Day 129 / 120 w/ 9day RFIE delay]

1/27/17: AOS Case status update - Approved | 1/31/17: New Card in Production | 2/1/17: Card Was Mailed

2/4/17: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:

ROC Process, Spouse & 2 Step-Sons (Completed in 23 mos. 22 days)

1/25/19: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

1/29/19: NOA notice date, text & email recv'd, routed to CSC

2/1/19: NOA 18mo. Extension Letter arrived in the mail, for wife only [Day 7]

3/13/19: Filed SR for non-receipt of NOA for I-751A dependents [Day 48] | 3/21/19: Recv'd NOA for 2 stepsons [Day 56]

4/29/19: Biometrics (Scheduled) Appt Completed [Day 95]

8/28/20: Case Status Update - RFE [Day 582 ~ 19 mos. 4 days] | 11/20/20: Case Status Update - RFE response recv'd [Day 666 ~ 21 mos. 27 days]

1/7/21: Case Status Update - New Card in Production :dance: [Day 714 ~ 23 mos. 14 days] 

1/15/21: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:[Day 722 ~ 23 mos. 22 days]

All done for now! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.