CupcakeGirl

Getting extremely nervous

19 posts in this topic

So my hubby's Green Card expires on 1/7/17.
We filed to remove conditions on 12/19 (later than I wanted but with the hustle and bustle of the holidays, etc. this is when we filed.)
Mailed it Priority Express and the CSC received it on 12/20.
The problem?
I wrote the check amount correctly ($590) but accidentally wrote the words part out to say "five hundred and 90/100." Silly mistake on my part.
USCIS sent the whole packet back, saying it was rejected due to the wrong check amount.
I didn't receive that packet from them until 12/24.
I rewrote the check, but this time for $680, since the cost went up on 12/23 (just my luck!) and printed & filled out a new form (since the form was updated on 12/23/16.)
Resent the whole packet back on 12/27 (the next day the post office was open) and it was received at the CSC on 12/28.
I have yet to receive a NOA nor have they cashed my check.
I am worried because my hubby is technically out of status as of Sunday - and worried what is holding it up is because they printed the wrong expiration date on my hubby's Green Card (they printed it as 1/7/16.) We have gone to USCIS field service centers numerous times about this but since they stamped my hubby's passport effective through 1/7/17, we elected to wait to replace his Green Card once we had to apply to remove conditions.
Obviously, my hubby has a job here, a life here, etc. and I'm worried - if his application is limbo, isn't he technically out of status? We don't plan on traveling internationally until we have his NOA, but until then, I just worry about the what ifs. Is he "protected" since we submitted our packet within the 90 day window? I have the tracking receipt, as well as the cover letter and the I-751 we sent all scanned in and saved to my computer - not to mention the affidavits, the mounds of paperwork, and proof I submitted along with the application.
I checked the December filers thread and the folks who submitted their applications the same day as me all had their checks cashed already.
Thank you so much in advance for any insight you can provide.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I would definitely call USCIS and explain the situation to them and see what they advise. perhaps you can go to the closest USCIS office and they can print it on the spot for you. this is what happened with somebody who did not get their biometrics appointment in the mail. they did an infopass and got the letter at the office.

I-751 ROC Timeline
Sun, 11/27/2016 - 90 days before Green Card expiration on 2/25/2016
Tue, 11/29/2016 8:30 AM - Mailed out I-751 ROC petition to USCIS California Service Center
Wed, 11/30/2016 11:40 AM - USCIS California Service Center signed for receipt of petition
Fri, 12/2/2016 - Check cashed by the USCIS California Service Center per our online banking account
Sat, 12/3/2016 - Received NOA (one-year conditional resident status extension) in the mail with receipt date and time of 11/30/2016 at 19:29 (7:29 pm)
Fri, 12/9/2016 - Received biometrics appointment letter dated 12/3/2016 with appointment scheduled for 12/23/2016

Wed, 12/14/2016 2:14 PM - Successful early walk-in for my biometrics at the Santa Ana USCIS

Thu, 05/03/2018 - My ROC case was transferred from CSC to NBC

Mon, 06/25/2018 - My ROC and Naturalization Interview was scheduled for Wed, 08/01/2018

Wed, 08/01/2018 - ROC and Naturalization Interview

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

Mon, 11/27/2017 8:00 AM - Submitted online application for Naturalization: Form N-400, supporting evidence & credit card payment

Tue, 11/28/2017 3:07 AM - NOA confirmation of application receipt was uploaded to my online USCIS account. Processing time for naturalization to be 10 months (to be completed September 2018)

Sat, 12/02/2017 3:06 AM - Received notification that my biometrics appointment was scheduled but the document showing the date and time has not yet been uploaded

Tue, 12/05/2017 - Biometrics Appointment Letter was uploaded to my USCIS account. Scheduled for 12/22/2017 at 8:00 am at USCIS Tustin

Tue, 12/05/2017 2:00 PM - Early walk-in biometrics completed at USCIS Tustin

Mon, 06/25/2018 - My ROC and Naturalization Interview was scheduled for Wed, 08/01/2018

Wed, 08/01/2018 - ROC and Naturalization Interview - Approved

Fri, 08/24/2018 - Oath Ceremony

Passport Processing Timeline

Fri, 08/24/2018 - Passport Application at Irvine Passport Acceptance Facility

Fri, 08/31/2018 - Received notification via email that passport is being processed

Mon, 09/04/2018 - Check for $110.00 to US Department of State for passport application was cashed

Mon, 09/17/2018 - Passport received via USPS

Thu, 09/20/2018 - Naturalization certificate returned via USPS

15 minutes ago, Calikitkat said:

I would definitely call USCIS and explain the situation to them and see what they advise. perhaps you can go to the closest USCIS office and they can print it on the spot for you. this is what happened with somebody who did not get their biometrics appointment in the mail. they did an infopass and got the letter at the office.

Thanks! I did call USCIS last week to see if I could get his passport stamped and they said no, that I just had to wait for the NOA letter to arrive. I tried unsuccessfully for 2 weeks to get an appointment online and each time, it said they were full. I guess it can't hurt, though. We are planning to fly within the U.S. next week, after his GC expires. If he has a state driver's license, that's all he will need, right? Again, it's a domestic flight and not an international one. I think that's what I am most worried about - about them pulling him aside in the airport and sending him on a plane straight to the U.K. :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
24 minutes ago, CupcakeGirl said:

Thanks! I did call USCIS last week to see if I could get his passport stamped and they said no, that I just had to wait for the NOA letter to arrive. I tried unsuccessfully for 2 weeks to get an appointment online and each time, it said they were full. I guess it can't hurt, though. We are planning to fly within the U.S. next week, after his GC expires. If he has a state driver's license, that's all he will need, right? Again, it's a domestic flight and not an international one. I think that's what I am most worried about - about them pulling him aside in the airport and sending him on a plane straight to the U.K. :(

I was just reading on another thread that you can go to infopass without appointment, you can try and see if they print the NOA for you. for domestic flights, he only needs to show his DL so you shouldn't have any problems there. 

I-751 ROC Timeline
Sun, 11/27/2016 - 90 days before Green Card expiration on 2/25/2016
Tue, 11/29/2016 8:30 AM - Mailed out I-751 ROC petition to USCIS California Service Center
Wed, 11/30/2016 11:40 AM - USCIS California Service Center signed for receipt of petition
Fri, 12/2/2016 - Check cashed by the USCIS California Service Center per our online banking account
Sat, 12/3/2016 - Received NOA (one-year conditional resident status extension) in the mail with receipt date and time of 11/30/2016 at 19:29 (7:29 pm)
Fri, 12/9/2016 - Received biometrics appointment letter dated 12/3/2016 with appointment scheduled for 12/23/2016

Wed, 12/14/2016 2:14 PM - Successful early walk-in for my biometrics at the Santa Ana USCIS

Thu, 05/03/2018 - My ROC case was transferred from CSC to NBC

Wed, 08/01/2018 - ROC and Naturalization Interview

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

Mon, 11/27/2017 8:00 AM - Submitted online application for Naturalization: Form N-400, supporting evidence & credit card payment

Tue, 11/28/2017 3:07 AM - NOA confirmation of application receipt was uploaded to my online USCIS account. Processing time for naturalization to be 10 months (to be completed September 2018)

Sat, 12/02/2017 3:06 AM - Received notification that my biometrics appointment was scheduled but the document showing the date and time has not yet been uploaded

Tue, 12/05/2017 - Biometrics Appointment Letter was uploaded to my USCIS account. Scheduled for 12/22/2017 at 8:00 am at USCIS Tustin

Tue, 12/05/2017 2:00 PM - Early walk-in biometrics completed at USCIS Tustin

Wed, 08/01/2018 - ROC and Naturalization Interview - Approved

Fri, 08/24/2018 - Oath Ceremony

Passport Processing Timeline

Fri, 08/24/2018 - Passport Application at Irvine Passport Acceptance Facility

Fri, 08/31/2018 - Received notification via email that passport is being processed

Mon, 09/04/2018 - Check for $110.00 to US Department of State for passport application was cashed

Mon, 09/17/2018 - Passport received via USPS

Thu, 09/20/2018 - Naturalization certificate returned via USPS

1 minute ago, Calikitkat said:

I was just reading on another thread that you can go to infopass without appointment, you can try and see if they print the NOA for you. for domestic flights, he only needs to show his DL so you shouldn't have any problems there. 

They aren't very nice at our Field Service Center...not at the entrance, anyhow. When we were trying to sort out the (incorrect) expired Green Card issue, we waited as a walk in in the office in Miami, but the Field Service Center that is local to us - which were advised to follow up with when we got back into town from our cruise, where we discovered the typo on the Green Card - would not let us even speak to the information desk. The security guard made us go to a kiosk at the front of the center and get an appointment that way - and of course, that was several weeks away. The immigration agents in there were super nice, but up front was a whole different story.

And thank you SO much for the info about the domestic flight. My stomach has been in knots for days over this. He nearly got deported when we found out about the typo - the original agent at the office we went to was refusing to give him a stamp, saying we shouldn't have let it expire, etc...refusing to look at our file and see that my husband had not even entered the United States until 3/2014, so how on earth his Green Card could have been dated for 1/2014 was impossible, as we weren't even married yet and he wasn't in the country. It took escalating the issue to a supervisor to get that sorted, and he has gotten flagged by immigration both times he's flown back into the country for 2 quick family visits back to the U.K. because of it. It's just been a bit of a nightmare and I will be so grateful once he gets his NOA, the conditions are removed, he gets his 10 year GC, and can apply for citizenship.

I'm suprised that after all those experiences you've decided to file so late, esp around holidays when all the gov institutions have extra days off. Try to get him to nearest office asap.

11 hours ago, observatorka said:

I'm suprised that after all those experiences you've decided to file so late, esp around holidays when all the gov institutions have extra days off. Try to get him to nearest office asap.

They sent my first packet back immediately. Other people who sent their packets in the same day as mine have had their checks cashed already. My husband and I work for ourselves in commission based jobs. Surely you can understand there were several factors in play regarding the timing in sending our packet out. I'm not asking for extra leniency and extra time in filing - the requirement was to file within 90 days, which we did.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

Did you include a letter of explanation with your packet about how the GC has the wrong date on it? With maybe a copy of his passport stamp to prove it?

it can take up to 30 days after it's delivered to get a NOA1. He's not out of status although he has no proof of that until he gets his NOA1.

that said, once you get the NOA1 and it says his status is extended for a year you still may run into problems with ppl taking the GC date at face value. Erroneous GC expiry date plus one year = still looks like it expired. :(

I'd keep looking to schedule an InfoPass and get a new passport stamp once you have the NOA1.

Edited by EM_Vandaveer

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

5 hours ago, CupcakeGirl said:

They sent my first packet back immediately. Other people who sent their packets in the same day as mine have had their checks cashed already. My husband and I work for ourselves in commission based jobs. Surely you can understand there were several factors in play regarding the timing in sending our packet out. I'm not asking for extra leniency and extra time in filing - the requirement was to file within 90 days, which we did.

There's basically no excuse for late filing except if it's for medical reasons which your case wasn't. I wish you and spouse good luck and that this gets resolved positively for y'all.

7 minutes ago, Davejj said:

There's basically no excuse for late filing except if it's for medical reasons which your case wasn't. I wish you and spouse good luck and that this gets resolved positively for y'all.

It's not filed late if it's filed before the deadline. Ours was filed before it expires. The requirement is not "you must file 90 days before your Green Card expires." That is simply when the window opens up.
Thank you very much for the well wishes :)

3 hours ago, EM_Vandaveer said:

Did you include a letter of explanation with your packet about how the GC has the wrong date on it? With maybe a copy of his passport stamp to prove it?

it can take up to 30 days after it's delivered to get a NOA1. He's not out of status although he has no proof of that until he gets his NOA1.

that said, once you get the NOA1 and it says his status is extended for a year you still may run into problems with ppl taking the GC date at face value. Erroneous GC expiry date plus one year = still looks like it expired. :(

I'd keep looking to schedule an InfoPass and get a new passport stamp once you have the NOA1.

Thanks for your reply. For some reason, I didn't. I figured they would check our file and my husband's alien number to see that the paperwork is all correct on our end and their end - just the date on the Green Card is incorrect. In hindsight, I would have included that info as well as his passport stamp in my packet. I don't know if they will send that to us as a RFE, which is fine if they do - it's just more unnecessary paperwork that we shouldn't need to do because they made a mistake (I know, I know...that's the beauty of working with the government...it's never their fault!)

Again, my biggest concern is our upcoming travel, even though it's a round trip domestic flight - and I'm hoping what Calikitkat said is correct, that he will only need his driver's license.

When we get back, I'll have to schedule him an InfoPass appointment at the FSC if we haven't heard anything by then.

10 minutes ago, CupcakeGirl said:

Thanks for your reply. For some reason, I didn't. I figured they would check our file and my husband's alien number to see that the paperwork is all correct on our end and their end - just the date on the Green Card is incorrect. In hindsight, I would have included that info as well as his passport stamp in my packet. I don't know if they will send that to us as a RFE, which is fine if they do - it's just more unnecessary paperwork that we shouldn't need to do because they made a mistake (I know, I know...that's the beauty of working with the government...it's never their fault!)

Again, my biggest concern is our upcoming travel, even though it's a round trip domestic flight - and I'm hoping what Calikitkat said is correct, that he will only need his driver's license.

When we get back, I'll have to schedule him an InfoPass appointment at the FSC if we haven't heard anything by then.

My husband (non USC) travels frequently for work and he shows his expired green card & NOA letter when checking in at the counter in the USA.  He mostly travels internationally, but I believe he shows them during domestic flights as well.

Check expiration date on your husband's DL.  In my state my husband's DL expires the same day as the green card/NOA.  So even if he didn't need to show green card & NOA letter, he couldn't use his DL because it would be expired as well!

If you don't get answers soon I'd suggest contacting a congressman/senator. 

(Also- they will not send him back to the UK.  They will simply not let him on the airplane.)

Edited by lucybelle

N-400 May 2017 Google Doc

Full timeline- 

Filed from abroad- Costa Rica

NOA1- NOA2: 316 days

Jan 12, 2013: Married!!
Mar 19, 2013: NOA1

Jan 28, 2014: I-130 approved

NVC- Green Card in Hand: 189 days

Feb 3, 2014: TSC sends case to NVC
April 14: Real checklist for AOS (saying tax number was incorrect when it wasn't)
April 30: Another AOS checklist, for proof of employment (which was already sent)
May 1: Checklist for IV- certified marriage certificate (even though I sent a certified one originally)
July 1: INTERVIEW!!! - APPROVED!
July 16: POE through Miami
July 22: SSN card in the mail
August 30, 2014: Green card arrives in the mail!!!

ROC: 366 days
April 27, 2016: Sent 300 page ROC packet to VSC via overnight mail
May 16: Check shown as charged online, received NOA 1 dated April 29
June 20, 2016- Biometrics
April 28, 2017: Approval
May 4, 2017: Approval letter arrived
May 15, 2017: GC arrives in mail

N-400: 190 days
May 8: Sent packet to Dallas Lockbox
May 12: NOA 1, Credit card charged
June 7: Biometrics
June 16: "In line"
Oct 2: Interview letter arrives (online status still says ''in line'')
Oct 31: Interview- Approved!
Nov 13: Oath ceremony!  Applied for passport & registered to vote on site.
Nov 22: Passport arrives (paid for expedited service and overnight delivery)

Journey complete! A total of 1701 days or 4 years, 7 months and 26 days.

2 minutes ago, lucybelle said:

My husband (non USC) travels frequently for work and he shows his expired green card & NOA letter when checking in at the counter in the USA.  He mostly travels internationally, but I believe he shows them during domestic flights as well.

Check expiration date on your husband's DL.  In my state my husband's DL expires the same day as the green card/NOA.  So even if he didn't need to show green card & NOA letter, he couldn't use his DL because it would be expired as well!

If you don't get answers soon I'd suggest contacting a congressman/senator. 

Thanks, Lucy. To be fair, I only sent our petition in on 12/27/16, and it was received by USCIS on 12/28/16. I know we can travel internationally on the expired GC, providing we have the NOA - but since we will be flying soon after his GC actually expires, and still don't have a NOA (nor have they cashed our check - I have been checking daily), that is where I start to get nervous.

I just checked his DL out of curiosity and it doesn't expire until the 2020s, lol - so we are good to go there (thankfully!) :)

1 minute ago, CupcakeGirl said:

I just checked his DL out of curiosity and it doesn't expire until the 2020s, lol - so we are good to go there (thankfully!) :)

Well then I wouldn't even mention the green card situation.  Just show DL to get on plane and done.

N-400 May 2017 Google Doc

Full timeline- 

Filed from abroad- Costa Rica

NOA1- NOA2: 316 days

Jan 12, 2013: Married!!
Mar 19, 2013: NOA1

Jan 28, 2014: I-130 approved

NVC- Green Card in Hand: 189 days

Feb 3, 2014: TSC sends case to NVC
April 14: Real checklist for AOS (saying tax number was incorrect when it wasn't)
April 30: Another AOS checklist, for proof of employment (which was already sent)
May 1: Checklist for IV- certified marriage certificate (even though I sent a certified one originally)
July 1: INTERVIEW!!! - APPROVED!
July 16: POE through Miami
July 22: SSN card in the mail
August 30, 2014: Green card arrives in the mail!!!

ROC: 366 days
April 27, 2016: Sent 300 page ROC packet to VSC via overnight mail
May 16: Check shown as charged online, received NOA 1 dated April 29
June 20, 2016- Biometrics
April 28, 2017: Approval
May 4, 2017: Approval letter arrived
May 15, 2017: GC arrives in mail

N-400: 190 days
May 8: Sent packet to Dallas Lockbox
May 12: NOA 1, Credit card charged
June 7: Biometrics
June 16: "In line"
Oct 2: Interview letter arrives (online status still says ''in line'')
Oct 31: Interview- Approved!
Nov 13: Oath ceremony!  Applied for passport & registered to vote on site.
Nov 22: Passport arrives (paid for expedited service and overnight delivery)

Journey complete! A total of 1701 days or 4 years, 7 months and 26 days.

3 minutes ago, lucybelle said:

Well then I wouldn't even mention the green card situation.  Just show DL to get on plane and done.

Exactly what we were planning on doing. Of course, I have these worst case scenarios built up in my head, like "What if they ask to see his Green Card? What if we explain that we sent our packet but haven't heard back yet?" What if what if what if...I get myself worked into a complete pickle!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.