Jump to content

Family Based Green Card or visitor visa?

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I recently passed my US Army training and received my citizenship in Dec. 2016. I work as a reserve for US Army and I still have 5 years for the contract to end with Army. Before getting my US citizenship, I applied visitor visa 3 times for my parents but was rejected all the times. I was studying nursing back then and completed my Bachelors in Aug. 2015. I was wondering if I should apply for Green card or visitor for my parents. I am more inclined towards getting visitor visa than green card because with Green card my parents will have to stay in the US. Does it make the case stronger to get visitor visa after my citizenship and being with the Army or should I go with Green card since visior visa was rejected 3 times already. 


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no relationship between the two: 

Visitor visa -for short, temporary visits to the US. They spend most of their time (in India?)

Green Card -for permanent stay in the US; they may temporarily visit outside the US on occasion, while maintaining residence in the US. 



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If they keep being rejected for a tourist visa, you have the option (expensive, but it usually works) of filing for immigrant visas for them, they come to the US, receive their GCs, visit with you, go home and officially give up their GC/abandon their LPR status at the Consulate THEN apply for tourist visas again. This usually convinces the Consulate that they lack immigrant intent so they are granted tourist visas. :)

Edited by EM_Vandaveer

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Changes in YOUR immigration status has no bearing on your parent's tourist visa application.  They are judged on their own merits (tie to their home country).


BTW_ They apply for their own tourist visas, you don't apply for them.  You can't "sponsor" a tourist.


Edited by Eric-Pris

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.