Jump to content

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My adjustment of status case is ready to be scheduled for an interview. There has been no date set yet, but when I look at the processing times of my local field office I would expect it to be scheduled in late February/early March. 

There is one problem however. I will be moving from Florida to Alaska on February 1st. Normally, the move will be temporarily (4 months) and for tax reasons etc. I will keep my official residence in Florida. Now if I get an interview date set it will be in Florida. I can't afford the money or the time to fly from Alaska to Florida for the interview.

So my question is what can I do?

- Can I change my mailing address so the case will be assigned to the Alaska USCIS field office while I am there? Can I do this without changing my official residence?

- I know I can ask for another date when I get an interview notice, but can I do this a few times? If  for instance they reschedule it from march to april that won't help me much.


I have called the helpline, but they were more line than help. All they said was that if the case is ready to be scheduled for an interview that it is with the local field office and they can not contact them about it. (what?). 


So if any of you has been in a comparable situation please share your experiences.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't change your interview because it's not convenient. You can reschedule it under emergency circumstances, but USCIS will ask for evidence before they allow the change.


I don't get what you mean by "official residence". You should probably change your address to the one in Alaska, and then when you move back change it again (if you haven't been interviewed by then).

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

With official residence (as opposed to actual, physical residence) I mean the residence where I am registered. For legal reasons the job requires me to keep my residence out of Alaska. That's why I can't  change my residence to Alaska.

Otherwise that would not have been a problem at all.  


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.