PadiTemi

K1 visa experience in Lagos

7 posts in this topic

I want to say thank you to God, the team here on Visa Journey and everyone on this site.

I was originally scheduled for interview on the 11th of January, 2017. However, I needed an earlier date, so i consistently check on the appointment website. Which I eventually got an open date on December 13th.

INTERVIEW

My appointment was 7am, I lodge in an hotel on Ahmadu bello way Victoria island, Lagos (Edgewaters Hotel : N14,300/day). The hotel was 5min away from the embassy. 

I took a keke from the hotel to the embassy and was in line around 5:30am (already met about 100 people waiting)

After the wait, two lines were formed as instructed by the embassy staff (immigrant and non-immigrants). On the immigrant line, a copy of the appointment letter and international passport is required for entrance.

*please do away with electronic devices, phones, water and makeup)

After the first security check, I was issued a number then we moved to the second security check and then to the embassy building for interview.

The first process in the embassy building is to submit all require documentations (birth certificate, passport and affidavit of support). Then you wait to be called for the proper interview.

After a long wait (standing), I was called and the interviewer asked the following questions:

1. What is your name
2. Who is petitioning you
3. How did you meet ?

*please be calm and be confident in your response. Don't say what you are not asked.

Then she said "it's looks like all is good, you are approved, (gave me a pickup white paper) ,pick up your passport with visa in 10days.

WAITING FOR PICK UP

On the interview date: the case number status on caec website says : Ready: created and updated: 13th December.

Next day: Status : Ready: updated: 14th December:

3rd Day: Status: Administrative Processing 
Updated: 15th December

4th Day: Status: Issued
Updated: 16th December

*status remain issued till now.

VISA PICK UP

Three days (3, excluding weekend) After the status changed to issued: on the 21st December, I pick up the Passport with Visa  and a sealed brown envelope (not to be opened) at DHL office in Muri Okunola Victoria Island.

POINT OF ENTRY:

On the 24th December, I arrived at JFK International Airport in New York, New York on board a flight from Lagos to Casablanca , then Casablanca to New York (Royal Air Marco: good price for great quality with no delay)

At arrival at JFK, I joined the Immigrant line after one of the airport staff viewed my passport and point me to the direction for immigrant. 

After a long queue to my turn, I handed my passport and the sealed brown envelope given at visa pick up. Immigration officer opened the envelope and asked to take my biometric.

Then he requested I follow him to another office just beside the long queue for further processing. After this,I was called to receive my passport and that the end of immigration process.

Then I moved to receive my luggage and that's  Welcome to America.

Well, i was one of the 100 people waiting cos i had my immigrant interview that same day(the 6ft 3" guy on sky blue jean).

Congrats on your approval and successful entry.

I was approved but visa not in hand yet as i just submitted my medicals on 22nd.

I am still following the statuses and except the status update date changing, it has not changed from administrative processing.

I guess the holidays is the reason for the issue delay, can't wait to see "issued"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.