Jump to content

Driver license in Louisiana

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi, i moved here in June 2016. I applied my AOS and EAD. My EAD is approved and i just waiting for the physical card.

Do i need greencard to apply for drivers license? Or can i just use my EAD


Do i need to go to driver school? I drove in indonesia and have my international drivers license.


Its been 6 months of being helpless, i feel like im getting crazy!



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think your EAD is fine. For Texas my husband will only need to bring his EAD, I94, and passport. It may vary by state, I would look up your state's rules. 


I would absolutely do a driving class, even if they are not required. It will make you feel more comfortable to practice driving in the states for awhile first. Plus, taking a class forces you to put the rules in place while driving, rather then just memorizing them. 


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

as soon as you get your employment authorization card, you will find it still nearly impossible to apply for work without a social security number.  We found out that as soon as you get your employment authorization card, go to your local social security office and apply for your social security number.  When that comes in the mail, you can use that as well as the EAD to get the drivers license.  In KS two forms of proof of residence is required to get a drivers license.  We used the social security card (with the mailing address still intact) and the cover page from the EAD (with mailing address) to provide proof of residence.  

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.