Stephen Spencer

Commissionaires Emailed-PDF Enough for Police Certificate?

37 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am gathering documents for "Packet-3", in preparation for an eventual K-1 Interview in Montreal.

I got a police check from "Commissionaires" Ottawa: I filled out the form online, paid $62.00...  they verified my identity and then did a full name and DOB check, and emailed me the completed police certificate approx. 5 days later. The PDF, when printed out, seems like it would be legitimate enough for the interview. However, I have read some information on here that suggests otherwise. 

I just want to know if somebody out there has used a Police Certificate that looks like this one, and has been successful. 
Thank you! 

CPC_copy.pdf

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

No Sir, this one looks like it might be just a background check for employment?

It needs to be a certificate from the RCMP - the Commissionaires should be told it is for US immigration purposes, K1 Visa, and they should take a copy of your passport and your finger prints.

It is then sent off to the RCMP for a national run, based not only on your name, but prints.

Then you are sent a certificate in the mail, with your prints on the page, that verifies you are cleared.

Timeline

Really, eh? 

So... It says right on my form that it is to be used for US immigration, and I did in fact notify commissionaires that K1 Visa is what it will be used for. As far as I understood, and as far as I was able to tell from other posts on this topic, fingerprint check is only required if the name and DOB check produces evidence of a criminal record. 

Thank you very much for your input. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Stephen Spencer said:

Really, eh? 

So... It says right on my form that it is to be used for US immigration, and I did in fact notify commissionaires that K1 Visa is what it will be used for. As far as I understood, and as far as I was able to tell from other posts on this topic, fingerprint check is only required if the name and DOB check produces evidence of a criminal record. 

That is correct.  The fingerprints/RCMP check are only required if something turns up in the name/DOB check.  

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/CA.html

I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App (LIN)

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox 

March 3, 2020: Approved by CSC

N-400

Feb 2, 2020: File N-400 online

Feb 25, 2020: Biometrics

6 hours ago, HoosierEh said:

No Sir, this one looks like it might be just a background check for employment?

It needs to be a certificate from the RCMP - the Commissionaires should be told it is for US immigration purposes, K1 Visa, and they should take a copy of your passport and your finger prints.

It is then sent off to the RCMP for a national run, based not only on your name, but prints.

Then you are sent a certificate in the mail, with your prints on the page, that verifies you are cleared.

If the OP is in Canada and has never been arrested or convicted of a crime then a name check will do.  Fingerprints are NOT needed. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
6 hours ago, Stephen Spencer said:

Really, eh? 

Cool  then that's your answer. Good luck! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I haven't noticed if anyone has used a PDF of the police certificate.

They've always  wanted the original with seal on it.

Maybe they will mail the hard copy, it seems too easy to be able to forge that paper as it is. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
On 1/4/2017 at 8:36 AM, Ontarkie said:

I haven't noticed if anyone has used a PDF of the police certificate.

They've always  wanted the original with seal on it.

Maybe they will mail the hard copy, it seems too easy to be able to forge that paper as it is. 

Can you please verify this? We didn't have the option of getting a physical copy -- it was all done digitally, and we have a 'signed' certificate with the date, address, reason of police request, etc.  It was done by RCMP. 

It would be great if more people could chime in here.

Timeline

I did the same as HoosierEh with fingerprints. No criminal background at all.

When I went to Montreal general police department, they told me that I need the one with fingerprints for my visa (cr1).

For my interview, they told me that I had the right paper (police certificate with fingerprints).

I received few days after the hard copy of it with the seal on it to show that it's the original.

Edited by baby74

Timeline
On 1/3/2017 at 4:05 PM, HoosierEh said:

It should look like this

example.jpg

This looks verrrry different from the one I had. Mine was actually done by Calgary Police Service: https://policeinformationcheck.calgarypolice.ca/, and it was perfectly fine for the interview. They mailed me a physical copy of it which just had my name on it only with their watermark and I brought that to the interview with me.

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

I have seen someone get a 221g for a printed vs hard copy.  They were from a province you could order online, but Montreal required a hard copy.  

Im not sure mine has a seal or watermark on it but it definitely had handwriting.  I will check my old files.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Thank you everybody for your input. 
As it turns out, I emailed Commissionaires Ottawa and they responded promptly: they are going to send me a more official version of the certificate, with a dry seal and signed by a police chief. I think that will do the trick. 
Phew! 

Timeline

Great news. Last thing you want is to have to mail in a new one. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.