kareelina

What needed for joining a school in America

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi VJ members

We are relocating within 3 weeks from now , and I want to enroll my 2 kids 16 and 13 in Schools in California , I need to know what documents needed from their schools here  to be submitted to the school there in California. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I believe that can vary depending on county and school districts. Can tell you they want shot records and birth certificates though.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

As Ben&Zian said, it will depend on your location as to what you will need.

But bet on birth certificate, vaccination records, proof of residency.  I also gave them school reports from their previous school, just to help their teachers know their strengths / weaknesses.

For sure you will need vaccination records and birth certificates.

-If you already have your children's vaccination records, then you can take them to the Ministry of Health and they can stamp & translate it onto their official record. ( I did that for my daughter before I went to the US to register her into school in the US. ) What ever vaccinations your children may not have can be taken at the local health department in your city in California. Also the translated egyptian record you will give to the health department will determine which vaccines they may need.

-Proof of residency. (Usually a utility bill) Your husband can provide this, as you just moved to him.

- Your children's education records from Egypt. You will need to get these from the school to prove what year(s) they've completed.

I'm not sure what else California requires as every state is a bit different.. But this is what I had to provide when I enrolled my daughter into school in the state of Georgia.

Edited by Ahmed & Amy

Timeline

Thats a good idea. School trascripts and previous reports/grades could be beneficial also.

Google the school district you're going to be enrolling in and you should ifnd all the information online and contact information for the schools.

02/03/2017 - Married 

Timeline
35 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

I believe that can vary depending on county and school districts. Can tell you they want shot records and birth certificates though.

I already have their birth certificates and the shot records. 

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

Thats a good idea. School trascripts and previous reports/grades could be beneficial also.

Google the school district you're going to be enrolling in and you should ifnd all the information online and contact information for the schools.

I sent an email to the school a week ago but got no reply.

Timeline
32 minutes ago, EmilyW said:

As Ben&Zian said, it will depend on your location as to what you will need.

But bet on birth certificate, vaccination records, proof of residency.  I also gave them school reports from their previous school, just to help their teachers know their strengths / weaknesses.

The kids are in a private language school here in Egypt , I already have last year school report for both of them.

Timeline
1 minute ago, kareelina said:

I sent an email to the school a week ago but got no reply.

It was Christmas/New Years break so they may honestly not have even seen it yet. The holiday break varies by districts. My nephews don't go back to school until Wednesday so perhaps if you do not hear from them by Friday or Monday, email again. If still nothing after few days calling may be the best option.

Edited by Ben&Zian

02/03/2017 - Married 

Timeline
30 minutes ago, Ahmed & Amy said:

For sure you will need vaccination records and birth certificates.

-If you already have your children's vaccination records, then you can take them to the Ministry of Health and they can stamp & translate it onto their official record. ( I did that for my daughter before I went to the US to register her into school in the US. ) What ever vaccinations your children may not have can be taken at the local health department in your city in California. Also the translated egyptian record you will give to the health department will determine which vaccines they may need.

-Proof of residency. (Usually a utility bill) Your husband can provide this, as you just moved to him.

- Your children's education records from Egypt. You will need to get these from the school to prove what year(s) they've completed.

I'm not sure what else California requires as every state is a bit different.. But this is what I had to provide when I enrolled my daughter into school in the state of Georgia.

Concerning the vaccination records when we went for the medical here I took the school vaccination records as I was asked for , and they got vaccinated and the nurse gave me a vaccination record telling me you will need that for the school in America , is that enough ?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

It was Christmas/New Years break so they may honestly not have even seen it yet. The holiday break varies by districts. My nephews don't go back to school until Wednesday so perhaps if you do not hear from them by Friday or Monday, email again. If still nothing after few days calling may be the best option.

Oh I see I forgot about the break , I will email them again . Thanks a lot 

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, kareelina said:

Concerning the vaccination records when we went for the medical here I took the school vaccination records as I was asked for , and they got vaccinated and the nurse gave me a vaccination record telling me you will need that for the school in America , is that enough ?

Yep, that's fine.  

I found calling our kids' school more effective than emailing. I emailed twice before we left Australia and got zero reply.  If Cali is anything like NC, you can just roll up, enroll them on the spot and they can start the next day (much to my kids' horror - they didn't want to start so soon!)

1 hour ago, kareelina said:

Yes that's just fine.

6 minutes ago, EmilyW said:

Yep, that's fine.  

I found calling our kids' school more effective than emailing. I emailed twice before we left Australia and got zero reply.  If Cali is anything like NC, you can just roll up, enroll them on the spot and they can start the next day (much to my kids' horror - they didn't want to start so soon!)

I agree with EmilyW, it would probably be easier just calling or going directly up to the school and enroll them once you get there. I too tried emailing the schools in GA and no one ever replied. It was much easier for me just to go up there when I finally visited and just enrolled her. 

~~moved to moving here and your new life from IR1/CR1 process and procedures~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Timeline
3 hours ago, kareelina said:

Hi VJ members

We are relocating within 3 weeks from now , and I want to enroll my 2 kids 16 and 13 in Schools in California , I need to know what documents needed from their schools here  to be submitted to the school there in California. 

Here's an example of a California school's requirements for enrollment: http://www.lvusd.org/domain/66

Your school may be different, but you could start assembling documents.

Edited by databit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.