Jump to content

12 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I am about to start the Visa process. I was going to go to Nigeria this month to get married and apply for a CR1 Visa everything was planned out. I asked for time off in November 2016 but now my job won't let me have and time off because of my position at work they need me there to help with some new process. No one can get time off they sent an announcement to everyone on my account. I have proof of this. So I suggested to my fiancé instead of waiting for us both to get time off again(he's a Math and Physics Teacher) we should apply for a K1 Visa

I had to change my visit, Hotel, and his family will need to reschedule their time off work. As to why we decided to do a K1 Visa now instead of the CR1, should I include that in my Paperwork? I know also with Nigeria K1 Visa aren't approved as much. But with us moving dates they won't have a decision until 2018 as far as the CR1 from my guesstimate. I would like him here like everyone else who applies as soon as allowed. 

I just need to know should I include this information in the petition.

We tried a Vistor Visa but he wasn't approved, that was in September 2016.  He wasn't planning on staying we were trying to prepare for the Ceremony and let him meet my family in person. So should I still do another visit the trip will be shorter we Video Call, text, telephone calls, and chat everyday but but I can plan a trip a few months down the line but K1 could be proceeding by then. Please let me know what you think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really doesn't matter in the sense of why you are doing a K-1 instead of a CR-1.... USCIS does not care either way... K-1 results in marriage...CR-1 just means already married... no need to "explain" why you're doing a K-1.


08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

07/08/2016 : NOA 1 Received

08/25/2016 : NOA 2 Received (48 days)

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/18/2016 : Visa in hand

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

 

02/03/2017 - Married 

 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

03/06/2017 - NOA1's received via text

03/31/2017 - Biometrics appointment Completed

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

 

 

giphy.gif   vd9wauve2wlsd9fuctxk.gif giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, OImMe said:

I am about to start the Visa process. I was going to go to Nigeria this month to get married and apply for a CR1 Visa everything was planned out. I asked for time off in November 2016 but now my job won't let me have and time off because of my position at work they need me there to help with some new process. No one can get time off they sent an announcement to everyone on my account. I have proof of this. So I suggested to my fiancé instead of waiting for us both to get time off again(he's a Math and Physics Teacher) we should apply for a K1 Visa. 

I had to change my visit, Hotel, and his family will need to reschedule their time off work. As to why we decided to do a K1 Visa now instead of the CR1, should I include that in my Paperwork? I know also with Nigeria K1 Visa aren't approved as much. But with us moving dates they won't have a decision until 2018 as far as the CR1 from my guesstimate. I would like him here like everyone else who applies as soon as allowed. 

I just need to know should I include this information in the petition.

We tried a Vistor Visa but he wasn't approved, that was in September 2016.  He wasn't planning on staying we were trying to prepare for the Ceremony and let him meet my family in person. So should I still do another visit the trip will be shorter we Video Call, text, telephone calls, and chat everyday but but I can plan a trip a few months down the line but K1 could be proceeding by then. Please let me know what you think.

 

Can I offer someones experience so that you have a little better idea of what to expect. http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=225629  Go to the bottom of the page and read their Embassy experience. 


Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OImMe said:

I am about to start the Visa process. I was going to go to Nigeria this month to get married and apply for a CR1 Visa everything was planned out. I asked for time off in November 2016 but now my job won't let me have and time off because of my position at work they need me there to help with some new process. No one can get time off they sent an announcement to everyone on my account. I have proof of this. So I suggested to my fiancé instead of waiting for us both to get time off again(he's a Math and Physics Teacher) we should apply for a K1 Visa. 

I had to change my visit, Hotel, and his family will need to reschedule their time off work. As to why we decided to do a K1 Visa now instead of the CR1, should I include that in my Paperwork? I know also with Nigeria K1 Visa aren't approved as much. But with us moving dates they won't have a decision until 2018 as far as the CR1 from my guesstimate. I would like him here like everyone else who applies as soon as allowed. 

I just need to know should I include this information in the petition.

We tried a Vistor Visa but he wasn't approved, that was in September 2016.  He wasn't planning on staying we were trying to prepare for the Ceremony and let him meet my family in person. So should I still do another visit the trip will be shorter we Video Call, text, telephone calls, and chat everyday but but I can plan a trip a few months down the line but K1 could be proceeding by then. Please let me know what you think.

 It'll be wise to keep the evidence of what happened even though you might not need to submit it as requested evidence to get the visa, it's part of your story. If you are planning on including a short timeline of your relationship you might want to include one or two pieces to back that timeline. Some ppl will say it's not required, however with Nigeria being a tough consulate it won't hurt. We had a pretty easy consulate but still did just a one page timeline with a few items to back it. 

For example "2014-xx-xx met online (see chat logs).... became a couple then and then......2015-xx-xx met for the first time in person (see boarding passes, receipts).... bla bla..." you get the idea...

 

I don't think it's a bad thing with that consulate that you can show that you guys were going to get married and the decision not to was out of your hands and especially not your Nigeria fiancés decision, since it could strengthen your intents of actually marrying.

 

Good luck to you :)


K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

 

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more facetime you can get in with your fiance the better.  Honestly if you can do another trip before the interview, and/or be there at interview, that would be better.  


You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NikLR said:

The more facetime you can get in with your fiance the better.  Honestly if you can do another trip before the interview, and/or be there at interview, that would be better.  

The additional visit would certainly be good for showing a bonafide relationship, but be aware that the Consulate in Lagos probably will not allow you to go inside for your fiancé's interview. 


CR-1 Visa

Married in Akure, Ondo State, Nigeria on 29 September 2016 - Civil Marriage
** USCIS **

Service Center: Potomac

Consulate : Lagos, Nigeria 

I-130 Sent: 2016-12-03

I-130 Delivered to Chicago Lockbox: 2016-12-05

I-130 NOA1: 2016-12-08

Oko mi was baptized, confirmed, and received into the Catholic Church in Akure, Nigeria: 2017-04-15 at the Easter Vigil Mass!

Marriage Convalidated in the Catholic Church, Akure, Nigeria: 2017-04-16 Easter Morning! 

I-130 Approved : 2017-05-19

** NVC **

NVC Received : 2017-06-01

NVC Case Number Assigned: 2017-06-15
Received DS-261/AOS Bill: 2017-06-21

Pay AOS Bill: 2017-06-21
Receive IV Bill : 2017-06-23
Pay IV Bill : 2017-06-23

Receive I-864 Package : 2017-06-28

Send AOS Package : 2017-07-01

Submit DS-261 :  2017-06-21

Send IV Package : 2017-07-01
Scan Date: 2017-07-07

Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter : 2017-09-30

Case Completed at NVC : 2017-09-01

----------------------------

 

Interview Date : 2017-11-22

Interview Result : Approved! Thanks be to God!

Visa Received : 2017-11-27
US Entry : 2017-12-08 Atlanta

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Kosi Wahala said:

The additional visit would certainly be good for showing a bonafide relationship, but be aware that the Consulate in Lagos probably will not allow you to go inside for your fiancé's interview. 

No they don't allow them inside, but being outside is a very good thing and really does help. 


You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I emailed their office a few weeks back about me being at the Interview and they said because of the large number of applicants I wouldn't be allowed in. But I will be making an effort to be at the Interview as suggested so they will know that we are serious about this relationship. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, OImMe said:

Yes I emailed their office a few weeks back about me being at the Interview and they said because of the large number of applicants I wouldn't be allowed in. But I will be making an effort to be at the Interview as suggested so they will know that we are serious about this relationship. Thanks 

I would guess that another reason they don't allow the petitioner to be present is so that the Consulate officer can conduct a Stokes interview, if they feel the need. That is when they get the petitioner on the phone or otherwise interviewed so that they can compare answers to common questions, in order to ascertain whether or not a relationship is indeed bonafide. If you were to be standing next to your fiancé during the interview, that would take the Stokes option out of the CO's toolkit. 


CR-1 Visa

Married in Akure, Ondo State, Nigeria on 29 September 2016 - Civil Marriage
** USCIS **

Service Center: Potomac

Consulate : Lagos, Nigeria 

I-130 Sent: 2016-12-03

I-130 Delivered to Chicago Lockbox: 2016-12-05

I-130 NOA1: 2016-12-08

Oko mi was baptized, confirmed, and received into the Catholic Church in Akure, Nigeria: 2017-04-15 at the Easter Vigil Mass!

Marriage Convalidated in the Catholic Church, Akure, Nigeria: 2017-04-16 Easter Morning! 

I-130 Approved : 2017-05-19

** NVC **

NVC Received : 2017-06-01

NVC Case Number Assigned: 2017-06-15
Received DS-261/AOS Bill: 2017-06-21

Pay AOS Bill: 2017-06-21
Receive IV Bill : 2017-06-23
Pay IV Bill : 2017-06-23

Receive I-864 Package : 2017-06-28

Send AOS Package : 2017-07-01

Submit DS-261 :  2017-06-21

Send IV Package : 2017-07-01
Scan Date: 2017-07-07

Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter : 2017-09-30

Case Completed at NVC : 2017-09-01

----------------------------

 

Interview Date : 2017-11-22

Interview Result : Approved! Thanks be to God!

Visa Received : 2017-11-27
US Entry : 2017-12-08 Atlanta

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Kosi Wahala said:

I would guess that another reason they don't allow the petitioner to be present is so that the Consulate officer can conduct a Stokes interview, if they feel the need. That is when they get the petitioner on the phone or otherwise interviewed so that they can compare answers to common questions, in order to ascertain whether or not a relationship is indeed bonafide. If you were to be standing next to your fiancé during the interview, that would take the Stokes option out of the CO's toolkit. 

Yes it makes since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×