xillini

Is it recommended to send proof of bona-fide marriage documents upon initially sending AOS?

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am married to USC and about to apply AOS with an experienced immigration attorney. So I have been working on documents based on the law firm's preparation documents, including all legal documents and applications, but I have found some proof of bona fide marriage documents such as joint bank statement, joint credit card bill, insurance card, or utility bills that have both my and spouse's name on it are missed.

While I talk to the attorney, he said it would be better to bring the proof of bona fide documents during AOS interview because that will give the officer more credits. By showing all these joint documents together at the interview, the officer will be more able to determine if the documents really belong to them, and have more likehood to ask questions, by which the officer will be more convinced of bona-fide marriage as long as interviewee answers naturally instead of sending all souless joint documents upon initially sending AOS application, in which case officers just read the joint documents but can't really tell whether it is true or not. 

Yet, I have seen other couples sending all these joint documents together upon applying to AOS. 

Does it make difference? Of course, I do have all joints documents to bring to interview and no problem to prepare as well as the attorney also agrees that he will be more than happy to accomodate sending all these joint documents upon my requests.

How do you think in this forum?

Thank you for any comments!

I think what you might have seen are K1 couples front loading their petitions with this sometimes in the hopes of not being required to have an interview. K1's are interviewed at the overseas consulate and so many never get interviewed at this point.

In your case you will have an interview regardless and I don't think either way will matter. I guess if you do send it the IO will have time to review them and might ask specific questions about it at interview and you will still be required to bring the originals to the interview. If it would help you or not either way, I don't think so unless you have specific circumstances for some reason that we don't know about.

I think you're good no matter what you choose.

We (also AOS from F-1) interpreted it as send proof in the initial packet, which we did. The interview was then basically a  formality; because we had sent in so much info with the packet, the officer had clearly already made up his mind before we walked in the room, and literally the only question he asked us was, "When did you get married?"

As long as you do have your proof ready -- to bring to the interview, or send in if there's an RFE before that -- seems like you should be ok in the end.

We frontloaded ours, and after send it all off, we started a new evidence box of things to take with us, such as pics, and the Christmas cards we received addressed to us,   New Joint credit cards, and soon another year of filing our taxes jointly.    Any kind of new evidence of a on going marriage we will bring with us to interview.

Edited by Beth & Achraf

I chose to send all of them, though I've definitely seen many people wait to just bring them to the interview. I just decided it was easier for me to include as much as I could now, then bring anything additional I put together to the interview. 

On 12/31/2016 at 2:46 PM, xillini said:

Hello,

I am married to USC and about to apply AOS with an experienced immigration attorney. So I have been working on documents based on the law firm's preparation documents, including all legal documents and applications, but I have found some proof of bona fide marriage documents such as joint bank statement, joint credit card bill, insurance card, or utility bills that have both my and spouse's name on it are missed.

While I talk to the attorney, he said it would be better to bring the proof of bona fide documents during AOS interview because that will give the officer more credits. By showing all these joint documents together at the interview, the officer will be more able to determine if the documents really belong to them, and have more likehood to ask questions, by which the officer will be more convinced of bona-fide marriage as long as interviewee answers naturally instead of sending all souless joint documents upon initially sending AOS application, in which case officers just read the joint documents but can't really tell whether it is true or not. 

Yet, I have seen other couples sending all these joint documents together upon applying to AOS

Does it make difference? Of course, I do have all joints documents to bring to interview and no problem to prepare as well as the attorney also agrees that he will be more than happy to accomodate sending all these joint documents upon my requests.

How do you think in this forum?

Thank you for any comments!

Well you can do it either way or both if you choose. I sent all my evidence with my package but I also made copies and putting together new evidence to take along with me  to the interview as with the old ones!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.