Laura & Seth

HELP - FL Driver's License

11 posts in this topic

Hello All, 

Wondering if any one can help me with this topic.  I am looking to apply for a Florida Driver's License.  I am from the UK and already have had my UK driver license for 4 years.   I applied on a K1 Visa and we have now completed our AOS - EAD - AP Process and just had my Biometrics appointment a week ago so at the ending now well for that part anyway.  

My questions are -

Can I get a Florida Driver's License now?

Will I have to take the whole test again?

What will I need to bring with me to DMV Office?  

How long will my FL Driver's License be vaid for now that I have my green card on the way?

(I have looked at website in regards to this but I just want to confirm with people that have been through this stage)

Thank you :)

Why confirm?  The stated requirements are the required information set forth to receive a  DL. Since 911 all DMV state offices have very stiff requirements.  Meet them and you're rewarded with your license. License will be valid as long as GC is valid.

11 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

Why confirm?  The stated requirements are the required information set forth to receive a  DL. Since 911 all DMV state offices have very stiff requirements.  Meet them and you're rewarded with your license. License will be valid as long as GC is valid.

K

Edited by Laura&Seth

Laura, 

to my understanding, as soon as you enter the states, you are able to apply for a social security. The card will arrive within a week and it will stamped that it is necessary to show with working papers for work. However, as soon as you receive the social security, you don't need to wait for the green card to obtain a drivers lisence.

Please tell me if otherwise, my fiancée is coming end of January and I was going to have him apply for social the next day he enters so he can take the drivers test exam. I would love a better insightz

Shortly after you have arrived in the US (wait a couple of days to allow the SAVE data base to be updated from immigration), then take your BC, passport and I94 to SS. Fill out the SS-5 for application for SSN in your maiden name and present it along with your other documents. You should then receive your SSN in your maiden name in about 2 weeks if not sooner. Once you have that you can begin to apply and open a checking account or be added to your fiancé's account.  You are not authorized to work till you receive your EAD (approx. 2 months after you apply).

After you get married then you do your AOS paperwork. When you get your EAD then return back to SS, with your marriage certificate showing your new name. Now you are able to begin looking and accepting work using your new SSC (same number as old, but authorized to work).

2 hours ago, MyMistaLovaLova said:

Laura, 

to my understanding, as soon as you enter the states, you are able to apply for a social security. The card will arrive within a week and it will stamped that it is necessary to show with working papers for work. However, as soon as you receive the social security, you don't need to wait for the green card to obtain a drivers lisence.

the licence will expire with thei94 expiry date

Edited by Transborderwife

Hi Laura,

Speaking from experience after arriving in the US only in August of this year, you can go with your passport, social security card, proof of address and your UK driver's license. Please have your UK license with you as this allows you to forego the mandatory four-hour Drug and Alcohol Traffic Awareness (DATA) course.

They process your info, allow you to take the Road Rules and Road Signs test and vision screening, once you pass that test then you are allowed to go on the course for your driving test. All of this costs $48. so I recommend you take change with you as they do not always have change or you can pay with a credit/debit card.

My license showed expiry in 8 years and on my birthday in 2024.

I hope this answered your question and good luck!

Edited by Amadia

On 12/31/2016 at 8:02 PM, Amadia said:

Hi Laura,

Speaking from experience after arriving in the US only in August of this year, you can go with your passport, social security card, proof of address and your UK driver's license. Please have your UK license with you as this allows you to forego the mandatory four-hour Drug and Alcohol Traffic Awareness (DATA) course.

They process your info, allow you to take the Road Rules and Road Signs test and vision screening, once you pass that test then you are allowed to go on the course for your driving test. All of this costs $48. so I recommend you take change with you as they do not always have change or you can pay with a credit/debit card.

My license showed expiry in 8 years and on my birthday in 2024.

I hope this answered your question and good luck!

Thank you :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.