Aussieinsocal

Does anyone else hate it here?

100 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If you want benefits them major corporate of Government.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
6 minutes ago, N-o-l-a said:

I think there is a culture difference between upper Midwesterners and WASPy or Italian/Irish-American culture in the area you live now.  Yes, Minnesotans are outwardly friendly, but getting into their inner circle is hard.  WASPs, in my experience as a former shoreline CT resident and WASP, will initially be a little colder, but if you seem decent, you'll get closer quickly.    Any new place will take some adjustment, I think.  Personally, I've been missing CT lately.

Yes that's quite true. It's the outward friendliness that seems to be lacking here. In Midwestern states and Canada, you're right that it's tough getting into their inner circles. I feel like those people assume everything's fine the way it is, they have their friends and you should have yours. Ive experienced that  mainly in the remote areas up north. Totally different culture. 

6 minutes ago, Boiler said:

If you want benefits them major corporate of Government.

My husband pays less for benefits than we would otherwise, but it's not like they're "included"... We still pay $250+ a month for our benefits (health, dental, vision.)  But he makes better than normal into retirement and has job security that he wouldn't as a non-government employee.  Planes certainly aren't becoming scarce anytime soon! 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
14 minutes ago, amicablebride said:

Canada is kind of in between. Tips are normal, but you also get $13.50 / hour base pay rather than the American $2 / hour base pay. That's what makes me so reluctant to work as a server. Also in Canada you don't have to worry about health insurance.. I feel like here in the states you need to have a job that offers a good health plan and serving jobs most definitely don't offer that. 

then make sure your husband has insurance and u dont need insurance.

families u work for you will defintely get insurance - i would def nanny in the USA over working for a school or anything like that! especially if you get a good family . u will be treated well. 

servers get like 6/hour but honestly, if you arent making 200/day i would find a new bar.. sometimdes the local dive bars are where you make the most money...

yeah, americans work long hours and forever! no one retires here.. u need to invest in some good stocks or something like that! it is quite different

my company would give me 3-4 months paid i think. but when i worked for a different company i remember being shocked u only got 6 weeks!!!! everyone i knew that got pregnant actually quit!!!!

also, having no family support to raise a kid would be an extra cost/burden.. and again, where i live no one would watch ur kid for under 15/hour!!! so if u have a kid its almost like why work? 

everyone who says money doesnt matter isnt too smart! u need money especially to live in america.  i am fortunate i made a decent salary and i have full benefits ect.  

if i was you, you live in vermont there has to be some rich upperclass families there willing to pay for your specialities!!! u can make some good money working for a family with a kid with special needs! i would highly highly consider lookiing into find a new job! families want people with experience and degrees including specialities.  i bet you could make 25/hour working for a family.  

tbh the best time of my life was when i bartended.. making 1k/week to work 3 shifts and traveling all the time.  what i would do to go back to that life lol

Timeline

i have full healthcare, dental and vision.. my company pays for my 1k/month plan and it covers my husband as well:) i have kaiser so its only 10/visit.. i have no complaints! i also get to email the dr 24/7 and that is free and if im sick i can just tell them my symptoms they will write me a perscription... i also had no health insurance for 3 years prior lol there are good women clinics around and if u go to the urgent care which i did once it aws only 100/visit.  

On 2/11/2017 at 0:53 PM, caliliving said:

i agree with most of this.  you need a very very good high paying job to survive in america.

however, most of my friends that are servers make more then college graudates! they bring home 300+ a shift! and most of it is untaxed. im not complaining, im just saying it is a very very good living (im assuming in big cities like LA, San Fran and NYC ect) so most people i know with college degrees cant find a job, and then end up serving/bartending and are stuck there many years later because the pay is so good!  it is hard in america to survive off of 10/hour (i mean its hard anywhere!) especially with rent, bills, cars ect. unless you are in a small town.  

Uh... you got to pay taxes on tips. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

A lot of tips are now on CC.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, caliliving said:

i have full healthcare, dental and vision.. my company pays for my 1k/month plan and it covers my husband as well:) i have kaiser so its only 10/visit.. i have no complaints! i also get to email the dr 24/7 and that is free and if im sick i can just tell them my symptoms they will write me a perscription... i also had no health insurance for 3 years prior lol there are good women clinics around and if u go to the urgent care which i did once it aws only 100/visit.  

Sounds like a dream! Ok so you're my new inspiration :D 

Questions -- how did you land a job that great? I mean, coming from Canada and all. People on this coast don't seem to think Canadians are very smart / educated.

And even with an amazing job like that, are you happy here? Or do you still miss home like crazy? Just wondering if a job change would really make a difference or not..

Timeline
4 hours ago, amicablebride said:

Sounds like a dream! Ok so you're my new inspiration :D 

Questions -- how did you land a job that great? I mean, coming from Canada and all. People on this coast don't seem to think Canadians are very smart / educated.

And even with an amazing job like that, are you happy here? Or do you still miss home like crazy? Just wondering if a job change would really make a difference or not..

I sent you an inbox message so check your inbox!!!

and YES a good job will make your life easier and less stress at home and im sure you would be happier!!!! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~As this OP of this thread hasn't been on since starting it and the topic has gone all over the place it is now closed to further discussion.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.