Jump to content

F1 visa for 6 month or 1 year education?

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Can you get an F1 visa for education to study if the course only goes on for 6 months or a year, say? If you can, could you then transfer from an F1 to an OBT, after such a length of study using the F1? 

Edited by Karlam

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I studied only 1 year in the US and I don't remember what they said about OPT but it certainly sounded like it was an option for me and the others who was only there for 1 year though I don't think any of the one year students used that opportunity. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to know that there are different OPT types: post-completion and pre-completion. Both come with certain requirements and restrictions. Read up: https://www.uscis.gov/eir/visa-guide/f-1-opt-optional-practical-training/understanding-f-1-opt-requirements


Also remember that the visa in itself is not the same as status duration. OPT requires program "owner" sign-off, so in this case your college has to recommend OPT on the I-20 before the application can be processed by USCIS.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.