Caffelatte

F1 to stay with my boyfriend

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

So I have a tricky situation. I studied in California on an f1 and received an associates degree (ready to transfer) and I also met my boyfriend who is a USC (we have been together for over three years now). Unfortunately, I could not afford transferring to get my BA, so I moved home to Sweden in may of 2015.

Since I moved home I've been in U.S for almost seven months, six months in 2016. Last time I entered was in September, and since I was talking classes online and receiving financial aid from Sweden - I thought it would be a good idea to stay as long as possible, hence 90 days.

The USBP officer started asking me questions; who I was visiting, what kind of nationalities my friends have, how I'm able to leave my part time job for three months etc. (they never really asked me this before). I told him the truth, that my boyfriend lives here, that I'm an online student receving financial aid from Sweden and that my part time job doesn't give a damn about it. However, he was skeptic and said I can't stay here for more than I stay in my home country (that's not quite true, I stayed two more weeks in Sweden than in the U.S).

I just found out that NON of the classes a took during community college will be possible to transfer to my Swedish school, which feels like a waste. I found a school that I'll be able to afford in California and that admits students every month, which means I could start in March and stop wasting my time. I'll be done in 14 months instead of three years.

Do you think it will be an issue to enter mid February on an F1 after leaving on an esta Dec 18?

We have no intentions to get married (I guess that's what they're worried about), I just want to get my degree as fast as possible. Should I avoid telling USCP about my romance next time, and should I wait longer to come back? The reason I don't want to wait is because I hate my part time job and want to get my degree so I can apply for better jobs in the future...

´

Hi,

So I have a tricky situation. I studied in California on an f1 and received an associates degree (ready to transfer) and I also met my boyfriend who is a USC (we have been together for over three years now). Unfortunately, I could not afford transferring to get my BA, so I moved home to Sweden in may of 2015.

Since I moved home I've been in U.S for almost seven months, six months in 2016. Last time I entered was in September, and since I was talking classes online and receiving financial aid from Sweden - I thought it would be a good idea to stay as long as possible, hence 90 days.

The USBP officer started asking me questions; who I was visiting, what kind of nationalities my friends have, how I'm able to leave my part time job for three months etc. (they never really asked me this before). I told him the truth, that my boyfriend lives here, that I'm an online student receving financial aid from Sweden and that my part time job doesn't give a damn about it. However, he was skeptic and said I can't stay here for more than I stay in my home country (that's not quite true, I stayed two more weeks in Sweden than in the U.S).

I just found out that NON of the classes a took during community college will be possible to transfer to my Swedish school, which feels like a waste. I found a school that I'll be able to afford in California and that admits students every month, which means I could start in March and stop wasting my time. I'll be done in 14 months instead of three years.

Do you think it will be an issue to enter mid February on an F1 after leaving on an esta Dec 18?

We have no intentions to get married (I guess that's what they're worried about), I just want to get my degree as fast as possible. Should I avoid telling USCP about my romance next time, and should I wait longer to come back? The reason I don't want to wait is because I hate my part time job and want to get my degree so I can apply for better jobs in the future...

´

ESTA and a Visa are completely different things, you can most definitely leave on one and enter soon after with the other (I did the same with my L1-B).

However...

Never lie or omit the truth when talking to any immigration official... Ever!

Always be honest and you will be fine.

AOS Timeline

• 10/23/2016 - I-130/I-485 Concurrent packet posted
  • 10/25/2016 - Packet signed for at Chicago lockbox
  • 11/09/2016 - E-Notifications received
  • 11/15/2016 - NOA's received in post
  • 11/18/2016 - Biometric appointment received (set for 11/30)
  • 11/30/2016 - Biometric appointment completed
  • 01/25/2017 - EAD Approved
  • 01/25/2017 - AP Approved
  • 02/01/2017 - Combo Card arrived in the post

>>THIS IS WHAT I PUT IN MY PACKET<<

Spending half your time in the US is a red flag. Don't play semantics with the two weeks more in Sweden than the US.

If you have a valid F-1 visa, you should have no problem entering the US.

Don't lie to CBP. You've already told them that you have a US boyfriend. They record things like that. You need to tell the truth. Lying or omitting facts will hurt your credibility and you could be denied entry.

Yeah I know, that's why I'm worried. The two weeks comment had e bit of irony in it ;)

Thank you for your reply!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Definitely don't lie about it. I don't think they are worried about you guys getting married, they're worried about you guys getting married on the wrong visa. 

When I applied for my F1 visa I was honest when they asked if we were planning on getting married, I said "we're not planning anything" and then he said if I wanted to come live in America I needed an immigrant visa. So they just want to make sure that you do it the right way if you want to come and live here. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Do you have a F1?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.