meauxna

DCF Canada: Yes Virginia, You Can

136 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

THANKS, Birdnerd, for the quick response.

I thought a NAFTA work permit would make the cut too but just wanted confirmation from other members. Do you know (or read about) any NAFTA temp. worker who actually successfully went through with DCF?

So it will take four months from filing the I-130 to getting the immigrant visa (ready to travel)? That is still faster than filing in the US. Would you still recommend DCF after the fact?

Thanks again!

I also don't know of anyone who was resident in Canada on a NAFTA visa and filed DCF, but that certainly shouldn't stop you from trying. They are trying to weed out people who are only in Canada temporarily, say with (or without) a tourist visa. IE: Don't come to Canada to visit and expect to file DCF.

You should be fine.

• 3 months later...
Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Submitted I-130 package in Toronto without marriage certificate 9/8 with intent to follow up with the certificate when we got it. Got a phone call 9/22 that they want the Ontario marriage certificate and can't proceed without it. Hired Certificates Express to get the damn marriage certificate in a hurry and submitted it via email 9/30. Today I got this email:

Dear Mr. BadAss,

In reference to an I-130 petition, this is to acknowledge receipt of the Marriage Registration Certificate for you and your spouse, Mrs. BadAss.

You should be hearing from us if we still need additional information or documents. If the I-130 petition package is in order, we will send an appointment schedule via email for both you as the Petitioner and your beneficiary to meet with the Consular Officer in Toronto and at the same time present all the original documents that were included in the petition package, as well as additional document/s provided recently. The appointments are generally done every Friday mornings only and currently, we are booked up to October 2010. There is a possibility that you and your wife will be scheduled either in November or December, however, as of to date, we still do not have final dates of interview schedules for November and December 2010. An email will be sent to you again once interview schedules are available. Please note that this not the visa interview yet.

Thank you and hope this is useful..

Is this normal? I haven't heard about this interview.

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

The consulates websites do not really say anything about the U.S. citizen's Canadian residency requirement. I have read 6 months and 12 months, so I am utter confused and cannot find info on the official website...

Does anyone have links to official website(s) statement the requirements? Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The consulates websites do not really say anything about the U.S. citizen's Canadian residency requirement. I have read 6 months and 12 months, so I am utter confused and cannot find info on the official website...

Does anyone have links to official website(s) statement the requirements? Thank you.

Hi,

From the website of the US Consulate in Toronto:

Copies of multiple evidence of the petitioner's & beneficiary's lawful residence in Ontario, Canada, e.g. immigration documents, provincial health card or driving license, lease, utility or banking statements over time. The petitioner must also show a long term visa or other permission from Canadian immigration authorities to reside in Ontario, Canada and have done so for at least 6 months before filing the I-130.

I presume it would say the same thing on the other consulate websites. :)

Edited by birdnerd

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I'm new. My husband, USC and me, Canadian citizen. We filed the I-130. I need help. My husband is employed in the US, makes 44k annually. We do not have kids yet. He does have an apartment, he does not own a home. Will we need a joint sponsor for the 864? He has not filed US taxes for 3 years cause he was living in Canada with me. This is his first year in the US since 2007. The poverty guidleines are confusing me. He has 3k in savings and my RSVP is at 10k, Canadian. Please help. I am overwhelmed. Trisha

• 4 months later...
Timeline

I'm a USC and I was just offered a job in the states which starts August 18. I've lived in Montreal for two years, and I lived in Toronto six years before that; my wife of five years is a Canadian citizen, and she's two months pregnant with our second child. Am I understanding this forum correctly, that even with six months lead-time on a DCF, there's a good chance that she'd have to give birth in Canada without me? Is this really our best option, or is there anything about our circumstances that gives us another choice?

• 1 month later...
Timeline

I'm a USC and I was just offered a job in the states which starts August 18. I've lived in Montreal for two years, and I lived in Toronto six years before that; my wife of five years is a Canadian citizen, and she's two months pregnant with our second child. Am I understanding this forum correctly, that even with six months lead-time on a DCF, there's a good chance that she'd have to give birth in Canada without me? Is this really our best option, or is there anything about our circumstances that gives us another choice?

We are all in the same boat, many have been married for 10+years, kids, no kids, currently pregnant, you name it, there are a lot of stories, but no one has preference over anyone else. Sorry, no other choice.

March 1999 - Met online

July 5th, 2001 - Met in person

December 19, 2003 - Got engaged

September 26, 2004 - Got married in Canada and husband (USC) becomes a PR

July 5, 2007 - Our daughter Samantha is born

April 5th, 2011 - I-130 Submitted to Toronto Consulate

April 29th, 2011 - Interview at Toronto Consulate

June 8th, 2011 - Packet 3 received via email

June 9th, 2011 - Packet 3 returned via Expresspost overnight

June 13th, 2011 - Packet 3 received by Consulate

June 16th, 2011 - Packet 3 Logged

June 16th, 2011 - Packet 4 Dated

June 22nd, 2011 - Packet 4 Logged

September 12, 2011 - Medical in Toronto

September 29, 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!

? - Visa Received

? - POE

Hi.

I have a question, which I hope someone can assist with.

I am a foreigner living in Canada with my family (USC) for 10 months. I have been invited to study at a US University for end Sept11, and it is now May22nd. I would like to immigrate to the US using the I-130 but not sure on the timing. My classes in the US starts end September. The other alternative is to get a F-1 visa, as the school is sending me an I-20.

A follow up question: my of 9 years does not work, and she is USC who has been here in Canada with me. She is here in Canada, vancouver, without a working permit. She is here as an accompanying spouse, and I am here on a study permit.

Timing is key, and if I don't apply for the GC, then I would have to come back to Canada end of the year and then apply, which would be really inconvenient.

The other alternative is to apply for the F-1 and then in August/ September apply for the I-130, but then I am concerned about crossing the border, and the questioning of my intent with going to study in the US.

Thanks for any advice.

adv

• 2 weeks later...

Please read the following link first if you are interested in DCF in Canada:

http://www.amcits.com/immigration.asp

The USC must be legally resident in Canada, possibly for as much as one year.

The USC may file I-130 to any Consulate in Canada except Quebec City.

The I-130 is typically approved on the spot and the file sent to Montreal.

Montreal is the only Immigrant Visa post in Canada and the visa application MUST go through them.

There is no estimated timeline yet; there are two VJ users currently in this process (calgal1125 thru VAN and

Helpful resources

calal's comments on her I-130 filing in Vancouver (Jan 27 06):

tawney's comments on waiting for an interview date (Jan 19 '06):

flames9 contributes:

tawney's comments about her actual I-130 filing:

more from Tanya:

calgal's comment's on gaining Canadian PR:

Ya,I'm also interested in DCF in canada and your link provided me a more information about it.

• 1 month later...

Has anybody recently gone through DCF? Did you have any issues regarding Domicile at your interview? Did they ask for your 2 passport photos?

Started LDR with hubby July '04, married Nov '06

He moved and became permanent resident of Canada Nov '07

Now, we want to move back to his hometown in Illinois!

Filed DCF for IR1 Visa

I-130 sent to Toronto Embassy: September 12, 2010

Initial approval at Toronto Embassy: November 19, 2010

Packet 3 rec'd January 28, 2011

Packet 4 rec'd March 21, 2011

Medical May 16, 2011

Interview July 12, 2011 - Approved!

Visa/Passport picked up DHL July 22, 2011

POE date August 26, 2011

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody recently gone through DCF? Did you have any issues regarding Domicile at your interview? Did they ask for your 2 passport photos?

I'm wondering the same thing about domicile for my USC hubby who still lives in Canada with me! We don't want to split up and have him move before me. What do we need to show

if we have no kids to register in school, no house in Canada to sell, and we are both self-employed so no job offers to get in the US?

Luv - You will need your 2 passport photos at the interview, yes

I'm wondering the same thing about domicile for my USC hubby who still lives in Canada with me! We don't want to split up and have him move before me. What do we need to show

if we have no kids to register in school, no house in Canada to sell, and we are both self-employed so no job offers to get in the US?

Luv - You will need your 2 passport photos at the interview, yes

Sorry, I answered your question about domicile in your other post, but it may be likely they will ask him to move back before you. And regarding my photos, they actually didn't ask me for my 2 photos, since I gave 3 at my medical. I was worried that they forgot at the interview!

Edited by LuvIllinois

Started LDR with hubby July '04, married Nov '06

He moved and became permanent resident of Canada Nov '07

Now, we want to move back to his hometown in Illinois!

Filed DCF for IR1 Visa

I-130 sent to Toronto Embassy: September 12, 2010

Initial approval at Toronto Embassy: November 19, 2010

Packet 3 rec'd January 28, 2011

Packet 4 rec'd March 21, 2011

Medical May 16, 2011

Interview July 12, 2011 - Approved!

Visa/Passport picked up DHL July 22, 2011

POE date August 26, 2011

• 1 month later...
Timeline

So I recently found out that I can no longer file at the local vancouver US consulate and that the I-130 will need to go via the Chicago lockbox. This to me in no problem, other than it might now add some time. My question though, is the process still the same as before, and the file/case will be handled by Montreal (after the lockbox processes)? Will the interview still be in Montreal?

I'm just about to start gather for the I-130, and am trying to understand if the process has changed other than the initial filing location for Canada.

thanks all

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Montreal is the only place that does spousal visa interviews in Canada.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

• 6 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So I recently found out that I can no longer file at the local vancouver US consulate and that the I-130 will need to go via the Chicago lockbox. This to me in no problem, other than it might now add some time. My question though, is the process still the same as before, and the file/case will be handled by Montreal (after the lockbox processes)? Will the interview still be in Montreal?

I'm just about to start gather for the I-130, and am trying to understand if the process has changed other than the initial filing location for Canada.

thanks all

So no more DCF filing in Vancouver anymore for anyone ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.