meauxna

DCF Canada: Yes Virginia, You Can

136 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Hi, I am just getting started on my journey. My wife is an American citizen living here in Canada as a permanent resident and she is petitioning so that I can immigrate on a K-3. We just sent in our I-130's, G-325's, $190 USD and all of the supporting documents to the consulate here in Vancouver. I got a phone call from the consulate explaining that I had done everything wrong. First, she said the fee was $355. Then she said that the consulate does not accept the applications and I should send it to Nebraska. She is right now sending everything back to me.

From everything I have read here and on the instructions I have downloaded from the USCIS website, she was wrong? Am I correct? I'm thinking from what I am reading in this thread up to the last post that my wife and I should just go into the consulate here. Does that sound right?

Thank-you for anyone who might help.

Aaron, since you both live in Canada, you are elegible for Direct Consular Filing; which results on an immigrant visa. You need to apply in person at the nearest consulate with your I-130 and G-325's (and the fee), and ALL DCF processing has to be interviewed at Montreal.

Good luck, L.

• 2 months later...

Hi

Did you ever get your interview date? We are in the same boat as you. We are still awaiting our interview letter via mail for Montreal for usa embassy.

Write me back if you get a chance. Our case was closed on Dec. 18th.

Thank you so much,

Debbie

debby4wav@aol.com

debby4wav@aol.com :crying:

Debbie and Bernhard

debby4wav@aol.com

• 1 month later...
Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Everyone

We just got married on the 14th of March...

Once we get our papers together (actual marriage cert. from the province, I-130, 3-g25a) we will be DCFing in Toronto.

Any updates would be great on the open cases... I love reading the stories though it is frustrating at times knowing we will be facing the same hurdles.

Rena

Our Journey

6 June 2008- Mailed I130 to Toronto (DCF)

7 Nov 2008- I130 approved in Toronto!!

21 Nov 2008- Received Packet 3 from Montreal

4 Jan 2009- Mailed Packet back

9 Feb 2009- Medical in Toronto

24 Apr 2009- Interview in Montreal...Approved!!!

30 Apr 2009- Received Visa... few hours later crossed to border for the 6 day drive to Utah!!

6 Apr 2009- Arrived at our new HOME!!

13 May 2009- Welcome letter received

19 May 2009- Went to social security office and "applied" for SSN

22 May 2009- SS Card arrived in mail!! (I guess they did send in the paperwork at the interview...)

???????<<<<waiting for GC>>>>>>

• 1 month later...

Hi reena

We just did a DCF in Calgary last week, APril 23/2008 . When you go to Toronto, make sure you have the originals of everything. We had a certified copy of my husbands divorce certificate from Arkansas, but because it didnt have an actual court seal on it, they made us send to AR for another one direct from the court. Fortunately , we had that Fed'exd directly to Calgary consulate, and the i-130 was approved . It is on its way to Montreal .

I am not holding out a lot of hope that this will be done quickly. My husband, the US citizen, is a permanent resident of Canada, but was offered a fantastic job in Phoenix. His company offered to pay an immigration lawyer to do all of this for us, and we consulted with her, only to find the estimate of time is 8 months. She says the consulate in Montreal takes forever to set an appointment, and it really slows down the process.

My husband had to leave yesterday to start his job in Phoenix, so we are faced with months of being apart, and having to run two households, while we wait for this. I am afraid to sell the house here, because it would mean I will end up living in a hotel until this is approved. But we cant buy a home there til we sell this one. To top it off, my 14 year old, who is also immigrating, is starting high school in the fall, and the rules in Arizona are that if you dont register within thirty days of the start of classes, you may audit the class but you cannot get credit for it. I dont want my son losing a whole year!

There should be a less time consuming way to do this for people who are actually married.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi reena

We just did a DCF in Calgary last week, APril 23/2008 . When you go to Toronto, make sure you have the originals of everything. We had a certified copy of my husbands divorce certificate from Arkansas, but because it didnt have an actual court seal on it, they made us send to AR for another one direct from the court. Fortunately , we had that Fed'exd directly to Calgary consulate, and the i-130 was approved . It is on its way to Montreal .

I am not holding out a lot of hope that this will be done quickly. My husband, the US citizen, is a permanent resident of Canada, but was offered a fantastic job in Phoenix. His company offered to pay an immigration lawyer to do all of this for us, and we consulted with her, only to find the estimate of time is 8 months. She says the consulate in Montreal takes forever to set an appointment, and it really slows down the process.

My husband had to leave yesterday to start his job in Phoenix, so we are faced with months of being apart, and having to run two households, while we wait for this. I am afraid to sell the house here, because it would mean I will end up living in a hotel until this is approved. But we cant buy a home there til we sell this one. To top it off, my 14 year old, who is also immigrating, is starting high school in the fall, and the rules in Arizona are that if you dont register within thirty days of the start of classes, you may audit the class but you cannot get credit for it. I dont want my son losing a whole year!

There should be a less time consuming way to do this for people who are actually married.

That question (argument) about married couple versu s fiance has been hashed out a zillion times on VJ,lol I tend to agree with ya! best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Good luck Kathy.

How are things going so far?

We should be sending stuff to Toronto in the next couple of weeks.

Rena

Our Journey

30 Apr 2009- Received Visa... few hours later crossed to border for the 6 day drive to Utah!!

22 May 2009- SS Card arrived in mail!! (I guess they did send in the paperwork at the interview...)

• 4 weeks later...

The evidence of physical presence is probably as easy as a Driver License, utility bill or bank statements...

What about W-2s or evidence of US employment?

Hi there how are you. I was reading ur detail. Very interesting and congratulations.

Please help me out on the following.

I live in Toronto Ontario. I am Canadian citizen. My father who is greed card holder also sponsored me for US immigration which will take around 6 years.

I am getting married with US citizen in July 2008 here in Toronto Ontario.

Please suggest.

For DCF...USC must be legally living in Canada so i will sponser her first for Canadian PR which will take almost 1 year.

So rather we start CR-1 now cuz at the end we will be living in US.

Do u want us to consult with any lawyer.cuz first we need to withdraw my father application which is on half way....so that we can re-apply for CR-1...

Q.Does Toronto US consulate offers DCF

Thanks and much appreciated.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

The evidence of physical presence is probably as easy as a Driver License, utility bill or bank statements...

What about W-2s or evidence of US employment?

Hi there how are you. I was reading ur detail. Very interesting and congratulations.

Please help me out on the following.

I live in Toronto Ontario. I am Canadian citizen. My father who is greed card holder also sponsored me for US immigration which will take around 6 years.

I am getting married with US citizen in July 2008 here in Toronto Ontario.

Please suggest.

For DCF...USC must be legally living in Canada so i will sponser her first for Canadian PR which will take almost 1 year.

So rather we start CR-1 now cuz at the end we will be living in US.

Do u want us to consult with any lawyer.cuz first we need to withdraw my father application which is on half way....so that we can re-apply for CR-1...

Q.Does Toronto US consulate offers DCF

Thanks and much appreciated.

You may want to post this in the Canadian forum for more people to see it.

The post you quoted is from 2006.

I think it might be quicker if your wife files in the states after you guys get married.

Our Journey

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
You may want to post this in the Canadian forum for more people to see it.

The post you quoted is from 2006.

I think it might be quicker if your wife files in the states after you guys get married.

^^^^ However if you decide to just do an adjustment of status you would need to speak with an immigration attorney as it's not exactly kosher to have immigration intent and then just try to adjust status - if it were, none of us would be applying for these visas, we would just relocate to the U.S. and file an adjustment of status.

I doubt you need a lawyer to cancel your Father's application for you, I believe he would simply need to write to them and explain that he is cancelling and why, then follow up to make sure they received and recorded his correspondence.

Yes Toronto does offer DCF - you mail your documents in to them first and then they will set up an appointment for you to come in to file your I-130. However there are residency requirements - ie: that the U.S. citizen has lived for at least 6 months in Canada.

Copies of multiple evidence of the petitioner's & beneficiary's lawful residence in Ontario, Canada, e.g. immigration documents, provincial health card or driving license, lease, utility or banking statements over time. The petitioner must also show a long term visa or other permission from Canadian immigration authorities to reside in Ontario, Canada and have done so for at least 6 months before filing the I-130.

Much more info about this can be found where I found the above, on the Toronto U.S. consulate website: http://toronto.usconsulate.gov/content/tex...igrant_petition

Note that your wife's interview, for visa issuance (ie: after all the paperwork is done) will take place in Montreal, not Toronto.

• 5 months later...

Hi, I'm looking to DCF at the calgary office. For some reason I can't find any information about needing to make an appointment or not for when I bring in my I-130. I've called the automated number for the consulate, the pricey 900 number, checked amcits, the consulate website, uscis, browsed numerous forums, asked on yahoo answers, and yet still can't get a clear response to my question. So, it would be great if someone who's done this could simply say "yes, I had to make an appointment" or "no, there's no appointment required".

Thanks

Hi, I'm looking to DCF at the calgary office. For some reason I can't find any information about needing to make an appointment or not for when I bring in my I-130. I've called the automated number for the consulate, the pricey 900 number, checked amcits, the consulate website, uscis, browsed numerous forums, asked on yahoo answers, and yet still can't get a clear response to my question. So, it would be great if someone who's done this could simply say "yes, I had to make an appointment" or "no, there's no appointment required".

Thanks

To bring in your I-130 you do not need an appointment - just make sure it is during the hours they have for services to US citizens. You will eventually interview in Montreal. Make sure to bring in all supporting documents, including those that state your legal status in Canada. USC tourists are not eligible for DCF. Good luck!

To bring in your I-130 you do not need an appointment - just make sure it is during the hours they have for services to US citizens. You will eventually interview in Montreal. Make sure to bring in all supporting documents, including those that state your legal status in Canada. USC tourists are not eligible for DCF. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your great response, and thanks for reminding me to bring my P.R. proof, it had slipped my mind when I put the rest of my documents together.

Thank you so much for your great response, and thanks for reminding me to bring my P.R. proof, it had slipped my mind when I put the rest of my documents together.

Hey I received an RFE because I didn't include my work permit :blush: so remember to bring a copy chica!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks

Thank you both - I have been looking for this information all day!

• 3 weeks later...

My hubby and I are going to the US Consulate in Vancouver today to file our I-130...

I'll post later tonight/tomorrow to let everyone know how it went... (fingers crossed)...

Since I the last post from someone on this thread doing DCF via Vancouver was AGES ago, thought it would be good to have an update:-)

Wish us luck.....

:-)

Edited by simistar

[u][url="http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=224630&hl=simistar"][font="Garamond"][size=2]My Montreal Interview Review[/size][/font][/url][/u]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.