meauxna

DCF Canada: Yes Virginia, You Can

136 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi All,

I have a few questions about the DCF process in Canada and was hoping I could get some info cleared up.

First, my situation:

I am a dual US/CAN citizen (Born in Canada to US parents)

I have lived in Canada for the last 35 years. However, I have just relocated (within the last month) to the USA for a job.

My Girlfriend and I were living together since 2010 until I moved to the US.

We both want her to come down and live here so we got engaged about 6 weeks ago (just before I moved).

Our original intention was to file for a K1 visa, but in getting the paperwork ready I've seen that with the visa + EAD and AOS paperwork she won't be able to get down here and start working for like 12 months.

It looks like it will be quicker for her to get down here and allowed to work with an IR1/CR1 visa application, and possibly even quicker using the DCF over filing in the USA.

So, My questions are:

Can I file an I-130 for a common law spouse given we were co-habitating with shared financial resources for 2 years?

Would I be able to file via DCF at the Montreal Consulate given that I have already moved to the US?

Does anyone know what the approximate processing time for a DCF Visa through the montreal consulate is? I'm looking to know what it roughly is from date of filing the I-130 to the visa being granted.

Any help would be appreciated.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.