Yuda1718

Civic test questions

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Israel
Timeline

I am unsure about something. On some of the questions in the study guide, there are multiple answer choices. If the question does not specify to only give 1 or 2 answer choices, do you have to list them all or will one be fine? For instance:

What does the Constitution do?

- sets up the government

- defines the government

- protects basic rights of Americans

If I were to say only one or two of those, does that count as a correct answer?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Only give one answer unless is says give 2 or what ever #.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

At my interview they were really specific:

List 3 states that border Canada

List 2 Supreme Court Justices

Name 3 rivers in the U.S.

I suspect yours will be the same, don't stress. Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

At my interview they were really specific:

List 3 states that border Canada

List 2 Supreme Court Justices

Name 3 rivers in the U.S.

I suspect yours will be the same, don't stress. Good luck

Oh no So I guess I need to know all them now

Wen was yours ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Oh no So I guess I need to know all them now

Wen was yours ?

Those are old questions. Stick to the 100 Q&As listed on USCIS website. I know it is stressful but I have yet to come across someone who failed the civics test on this website. I don't think I have ever seen someone who failed more than one question.

Timeline

Those are old questions. Stick to the 100 Q&As listed on USCIS website. I know it is stressful but I have yet to come across someone who failed the civics test on this website. I don't think I have ever seen someone who failed more than one question.

Yes I am talking about the latest list

So I'll stick to one answer I guess

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

I am unsure about something. On some of the questions in the study guide, there are multiple answer choices. If the question does not specify to only give 1 or 2 answer choices, do you have to list them all or will one be fine? For instance:

- sets up the government

- defines the government

Yes, you are correct. If the question doesn't specify, you only need to say one of the listed answers. My husband just had his interview a couple of weeks ago and that's how it was. He basically just chose one of the answer choices to memorize and passed the test easily. Also, a former USCIS officer confirmed that recently on a thread on here. I'll see if I can find that and link it.

Edited by okramango

Husband's Naturalization Journey: (NBC number)

9/2/16: N-400 mailed to Dallas office via UPS Ground
9/6/16: Arrived to office per UPS tracking
9/14/16: NOA1 received in mail (dated 9/6/16)
9/21/16: Biometrics notification received in mail
10/6/16: Biometrics completed
11/10/16: Notification for interview received in mail
12/15/16: Interview ("Recommended for approval")
12/20/16: In line for oath ceremony (online status)
12/27/16: Received oath ceremony letter in mail
1/17/17: Oath ceremony
Hubby is now a US citizen! :) 133 days from NOA date to Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

Yes, you are correct. If the question doesn't specify, you only need to say one of the listed answers. My husband just had his interview a couple of weeks ago and that's how it was. He basically just chose one of the answer choices to memorize and passed the test easily. Also, a former USCIS officer confirmed that recently on a thread on here. I'll see if I can find that and link it.

Found it!

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/189336-new-free-tool-for-studying-the-100-questions/?p=8405445

Husband's Naturalization Journey: (NBC number)

9/2/16: N-400 mailed to Dallas office via UPS Ground
9/6/16: Arrived to office per UPS tracking
9/14/16: NOA1 received in mail (dated 9/6/16)
9/21/16: Biometrics notification received in mail
10/6/16: Biometrics completed
11/10/16: Notification for interview received in mail
12/15/16: Interview ("Recommended for approval")
12/20/16: In line for oath ceremony (online status)
12/27/16: Received oath ceremony letter in mail
1/17/17: Oath ceremony
Hubby is now a US citizen! :) 133 days from NOA date to Oath Ceremony

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

For questions that all the answers have similar meaning, you can remember just 1. You will have to remember some questions with different answers, e.g. why did the colonist fight the British question. Some questions that have different answer but you can pick one, I do recommend you to remember all. Here is my experience. 

The IO asked me "where is the Statue of Liberty?" during the interview. When I studied, I could answered New York, New York Harbor, Liberty island, and so on that list on there. I answered New York. To my surprise, he said I had to be more specific. Thankfully, I remember all of the answers so I gave him a new answer and he said correct! 

Filed: Timeline
On 12/28/2016 at 10:43 AM, Yuda1718 said:

- sets up the government

- defines the government

For all questions that don't specifically ask you to name 1 or name 2 and the there are multiple choices you are required to only give 1 answer, you do not have to list all of the choices.  So all of those questions just pick 1 answer and memorize that one.   The test is administered the same way across the U.S. in all of our offices.  I did N-400 interviews for 10 years.  The Officer cannot require you to elaborate on those questions and ask you to name more or give another answer.   

13 hours ago, prettypass2000 said:

For questions that all the answers have similar meaning, you can remember just 1. You will have to remember some questions with different answers, e.g. why did the colonist fight the British question. Some questions that have different answer but you can pick one, I do recommend you to remember all. Here is my experience. 

The IO asked me "where is the Statue of Liberty?" during the interview. When I studied, I could answered New York, New York Harbor, Liberty island, and so on that list on there. I answered New York. To my surprise, he said I had to be more specific. Thankfully, I remember all of the answers so I gave him a new answer and he said correct! 

I'm sorry that Officer did that to you!!  That was Wrong and your answer of giving New York was correct, he was NOT allowed to ask you to elaborate. That makes me angry when I hear of other Officers not following the rules.  

Edited by ptm897

2 hours ago, ptm897 said:

I'm sorry that Officer did that to you!!  That was Wrong and your answer of giving New York was correct, he was NOT allowed to ask you to elaborate. That makes me angry when I hear of other Officers not following the rules.  

Why was the IO not allowed to ask to elaborate? Seems like a legitimate request. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

29 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

Why was the IO not allowed to ask to elaborate? Seems like a legitimate request. 

We can not ask them to elaborate on an answer if they give one of the answers that are on the list, so for that applicant's question, where is the Statue of Liberty, the 3 choices can be either,  New York, New York Harbor, or Liberty Island.  If you say any of those three answers that is sufficient to answer the questions correctly.  We are specifically told during our training that we cannot ask an applicant to elaborate if they provide one of the answers from the list of choices, unless the question asks them to name 2 and they only named one, or if one of their answers was not in the choices provided.  That training is grilled into us and we are to abide it exactly the same across the board. All offices are instructed to follow these directives.  So since the Applicant clearly said "New York" that answer was sufficient and there was no need to elaborate and the Officer should NOT have asked her to elaborate since New York was one of the choices.  

Edited by ptm897

Timeline

It is insane that every IO does whatever they want I think they should have a same policy on the civic questions 

Edited by Yuda1718

37 minutes ago, Yuda1718 said:

It is insane that every IO does whatever they want I think they should have a same policy on the civic questions 

They do have the same policy on the civics questions across the board across all of the offices, that is why I am so frustrated to hear this info because the policy is the same at all of our offices :-(  The Officers are NOT allowed to ask for someone to elaborate on any of the questions if they give an answer that is listed in the choices.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.