Theophane

Demand of K1 while we are both living abroad

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

My girlfriend and I are currently living in France. She is american and I am french. She has a student VISA in France which will end in July, because she will have to pursue her studies in San Francisco then.

We would like to get married, and I would obviously like to follow her in San Francisco, which means that I would also need a permission to work there (since I finished my studies already).

We are considering asking for a K1 VISA while being in France, and come live in the US next July, considering our request would have been approved by that date.

My questions are :

- what is the risk of filing for a K1 VISA while she is living in France on a student VISA ?

- how long could it take to have our request approved ?

- is there a risk of non approval ? even if we are in love, and actually living together for more than 6 months ?

- is it true that I will be able to work once I move to the US with this VISA while waiting for the wedding and the status change approval ?

Any information would be very appreciated and helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Théophane

If you want to work right away, get married and file for CR-1 visa. This is an immigrant visa which will give you a greencard right away so you can start working as soon as you come to the US and find a job.

@Eric-Pris: When you say that we should get married, do you mean in France or US ? What do you think would be preferable ? Initially, we would have preferred to get married in the US where her family is, but if it's easier doing so in France for the process...

@LORIEandPHIL: We are actually about to ask her parents (who I hope would be ok), but we want to be sure of what would be the best option for us first.

@Eric-Pris: When you say that we should get married, do you mean in France or US ? What do you think would be preferable ? Initially, we would have preferred to get married in the US where her family is, but if it's easier doing so in France for the process...

@LORIEandPHIL: We are actually about to ask her parents (who I hope would be ok), but we want to be sure of what would be the best option for us first.

Get married in the US or France, but do it soon so you can apply for the CR1 visa- which is a spousal visa. With a CR1 you will be able to work as soon as you enter the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.