hatadese

changing martial stutus

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

I had submitted I-130 to USCIS, on the application I-130 the martial stutus was single. After I applied for citizenship, on interview time The USCIS officer changes to married. After that the USCIS send me last decision about I-130 case they denied. Finally On ceremony for naturalization marital stutus is married. I need to change martial stutus to single. What can I do?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Need more information:

- Are you filing a I-130 (for who?), or are you refering to the I-130 originally filed for you?

- Are you married?

- If not married, why do they think you are?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

I had marriage certificate then I submitted I-130 to USCIS for my wife back home to bring her to US, when I filled for the first time the application I-130 the martial status was single by mistake. After I applied for citizenship, on interview time The USCIS officer changes to married. After that the USCIS send me last decision about I-130 case they denied. Finally, on ceremony for naturalization marital status is married. Since the case denied and they ask me to start over new process I do not need any more this case. Since I am living in US and my wife is back home I need to change marital status to single. Being married without having wife here in US is meaningless for me. Did the USCIS will change my status or they will ask me to go back home and divorce there first? Can you give me information about this What can I do to be a single marital status? Thank you.

Timeline

You are currently married. if you state anywhere you are single, you would be lying.

You need to get divorced first, before changing any documents.

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Thank you for answering, even they denied do you think I am still married here in US? so, I must go back home and get divorce and bring a divorce paper to USCIS? I was planning to go to USCIS office to ask them to change my marital status. Please help me with exact information?

Thank you for answering, even they denied do you think I am still married here in US? so, I must go back home and get divorce and bring a divorce paper to USCIS? I was planning to go to USCIS office to ask them to change my marital status. Please help me with exact information?

If you are legally married then you are legally married, regardless of where you are. If you are legally divorced then you are legally divorced regardless of where you are. You can't just change a marital status on paper without actually going through the legal process of changing it. :no:

So because you were denied the i-130 for your wife you are divorcing her? Why did they deny you? If you divorce her for such a thing I can't imagine that you were much in love in any case.

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

Timeline

Thank you all, you said you can divorce in the US can you tell me the steps to do this in US? the denied they said because of not having more proof of relationship.

Thank you all, you said you can divorce in the US can you tell me the steps to do this in US? the denied they said because of not having more proof of relationship.

Google "divorce from international marriage" and you'll find plenty of help :)

You say they also told you to refile, I guess my wonder is how come you're not doing this?

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

Timeline

it has been 7 years after i filled I-130 long time, trying for nothing, i will search "divorce from international marriage" thank you.

Filed: Timeline

Bit confused, did you mention yourself single in N-400 application? How long have you been married? When did you file your I-130? A lot of information in the conversation above is bit confusing so just trying to get a clear picture as to what could be your best option.

Timeline

For vjjmember111,

I had marriage certificate then I submitted I-130 to USCIS for my wife back home to bring her to US, when I filled for the first time the application I-130 the martial status was single by mistake. I mention myself single in I-130 not N-400 application. After I applied for citizenship, on interview time The USCIS officer changes to married. After that the USCIS send me last decision about I-130 case they denied because of not having proof of strong relationship. Finally, on ceremony for naturalization certificate marital status is married. Since the case denied and they ask me to start over new process I do not need any more this case. Since I am living in US and my wife is back home I need to change marital status to single. I do not live back home any more I must have married in US, being married without having wife here in US is meaningless for me. Me and my wife we do not have any child. I had been married for almost 7 years. Did the USCIS will change my status or they will ask me to go back home and divorce there first? Can you give me information about this What can I do to be a single marital status? Thank you.

Filed: Timeline

hatadese,

well you can be married anywhere in the world and still considered as married regardless of your residence if you have disclosed in immigration benefit applications. so i don't think you have to divorce and re-marry if the marriage certification info matches with whatever you submitted/provided in N-400. So if your wife's name, date of birth and marriage date matches with your marriage certificate, re-apply i-130 as USC spouse.

Can you confirm your marital history in N-400 application matches with your marriage certificate?

Timeline

Can you confirm your marital history in N-400 application matches with your marriage certificate? yes marital history in N-400 application was married changed by the USCIS officer , however , after that they denied my case for I-130. also it says married on naturalization certificate.

Timeline

OP, you have been told what to do. You MUST get legally divorced first before declaring yourself single on any documents. Even if you do not live with your wife, and do not want to be with her anymore, you are still married until you divorce. There is NO way around this.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.