S Mehdi

Need VAWA help: A girl in abusive marriage, K1 visa status expired

40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I find this conclusion a little surprising. When my husband had his cr-1 interview, he said they didn't really ask him any questions, it seemed they had already decided to approve the visa ahead of time. I would imagine a k-1 could go the same way? Although probably they are stricter in Pakistan.

It also seems to me that if the description of her situation is close to accurate, she could be considered a victim of human trafficking, and I am surprised to hear that there is no legal protection available for someone who was brought to the country under false pretenses, and then severely abused, regardless of whether she understood that she was participating in fraud. It sounds (again, if her story is true) that she didn't have a lot of choice in either the marriage or the immigration even when she was in her home country. I am also surprised by the number of people saying that she SHOULD be deported, regardless of the circumstance she might face in her home country. Perhaps they just don't believe that severe abuse and human trafficking really exist?

Please note, I am not claiming to be an expert. I am only posing the questions above in an attempt to learn more about the legal implications of the situation.

i went through the K1 process, simply do not believe she could have done clueless.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Every story has two sides.It's hard to believe her in laws brought her here to beat her up and hold her against her will.I am sure they are aware of the consequences of domestic violence and holding someone against their will.You better get the true and exact story from her first and then look for the correct advice.

If you really believe that she's imprisoned as you described it, call the police and if nothing happens contact the FBI. This is no longer an immigration issue. Unlawful imprisonment, slave labor, etc, what are you even thinking? Call the Law.

03/04/2016 AOS (EB2-NIW concurrent with I-485) mailed to Lewisville TX Lockbox
03/07/2016 AOS delivered to USCIS and signed
03/12/2016 Case received by Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
03/14/2016 Text notification received for I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131.
04/08/2016 Biometrics notice received for 04/21
04/13/2016 Biometrics early walk-in completed.
04/15/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Long wait begins...

11/04/2016 I-140/485 cases transferred from Nebraska to TCS
12/01/2016 Prepared package for EAD/AP renewal (expires 04/09/2017)
12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
02/23/2017 USCIS slowly starts adjudicating NIW cases again.
04/21/2017 Extended EAD/AP received in mail. Valid for 2 years. 
05/06/2017 Received a massive RFE on I-140 NIW case.
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
09/14/2017 I-140 NIW approved!!! 
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)
12/04/2017 RFE received in mail
12/07/2017 repeated medical exam for I-485
12/08/2017 Attorney receives documents for responding to I-485 RFE
12/21/2017 Response to RFE received by USCIS 
02/09/2018 I-485 approval (text, email) :)
02/08/2018 I-485 approval notice issued (the "welcome letter") - I'm LPR now
02/16/2018 Green card received

11/14/2022 Filed N-400 online; receipt and biometrics reuse form received online
03/07/2023 N-400 Interview scheduled 
04/xx/2023 N-400 approved, same-day Oath ceremony completed. I'm a US citizen.
05/xx/2023 US passport in hand

I just tried it, it only show's city

Yep, I did too and it only shows the zipcode area, and it's the zipcode area I'm next too, not the one I'm in.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Don't they hand out those domestic violence pamphlets at the embassy?

Applicant, esp female, is specifically made aware of the information, they get to keep the pamphlet. They're precisely for situations OP described.

Have a feeling we're not getting the full story here

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I am sorry but i feel this story is flawed. In my honest Opinion, USC specially from Asian countries are usually very skeptical in sponsoring some one from those part of the world. Honestly, think about that gentleman went all the way and filed K-1- which is itself 7-8 months process and then brought her here to just beat her up ? and get himself into domestic violence issues. Seems kind of difficult to swallow. U visa is very difficult to get and since she is on K-1 She cannot change her visa status to F-1. Her best bet is to secure her religious divorce on piece of paper and go back.

I understand where you're coming from - but you'll be surprised if you've seen what I've seen. This is not an isolated incident, this is a pattern. Men with control issues marry a woman back home in Pakistan, pressure, manipulate or love-talk her into filing a wrong visa (such as F1 or K1) to make sure their spouse is not empowered. Some are smart enough to see through the wrong visa, but others, sadly, are very naive. It's not that they bring their wives just to beat them up, they just want a wife that they have complete control over and if they don't like the wife they just imported, they can just ship her back without having to go through a divorce lawsuit.

I even know someone who's parents forced her to drop out of university and told her that the only way she can complete her education is if she agrees to marry a man of their choice and go to the US on a student visa to live with him. It puts you in a tough situation when your own support network gives you a choice between lying to USCIS or forcing you to stop your education, so I'm not going to judge her until we have the full story.

I want to thank everyone for their opinion. It gives me a very clear direction on how to help her out. Maybe she herself wants to go back and maybe it's for the best. I will just try to make sure she is able to figure out her address and we can get the right authorities involved and have justice delivered, whatever it may be.

Timeline

The one thing not mention is contacting the Consulate, perhaps they could help her.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Does demonstrate what is so wrong with VAWA and the need for reform. I have little hope in that direction..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.