S Mehdi

Need VAWA help: A girl in abusive marriage, K1 visa status expired

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

On your second note you said that her in-laws filed, and if she came on a K-1, then her "fiance"/Guyshewassupposetomarry was the one who filed. Who did the paperwork on her end over in Pakistan? The police report, the writing and signing of the letter of intent stating she was single, legally able to marry, and will marry the guy who petitioned for her within 90 days of coming into the country? She went and did medical.

There's a lot of things she did on her own and she talked to the CO's who explained the visa, even at POE the CBP officer usually explains the purpose of the visa. It seems very strange that she knows so little about a process she was pretty involved in, especially in the later stages.

With that said, her story sounds odd for a K-1. Either your not understanding something or she's not saying everything or she literally is that oblivious, but either way, without her marrying her fiance that she promised to marry she has no route to the US and should leave/will be told to leave at some point. Even with VAWA she would have had to have married him, which she didn't. She has no path to stay in the US, regardless of her situation in Pakistan, USCIS doesn't really care.

Technically you could just call the cops and say you know a woman is being held against her will once you find her location, but then you would have to hope your friend cooperated with the cops to get her out of there and from what you say she probably wouldn't. But either way, it will all end in her going back to Pakistan.

I see. I only have information in bits and pieces for now, but this is helpful.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I doubt your friend will be able to stay here for any reason. Even people who are at risk of persecution back in their home country are sent back because they broke the law.

"The law of clean hands", she did the wrong thing and expecting the law to be on your side after disregarding it does not work.

It may sound harsh but any good immigration law will tell you the same thing.

She swore at the embassy before her interview began, to tell nothing but the truth. No one forced her at the embassy to lie.

She can't put that blame on anybody.

But in the meantime, i hope she can get help at a shelter.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Yes, I know the city and I know shelters there too. Problem is, she can't leave on her own so we are trying to find a way to intervene on her behalf. Abusive families literally keep the victim imprisoned. I've seen cases where the mother-in-law would even force the victim to ask permission to use the restroom and keep the restroom door open and stand outside to make sure the victim is unable to use a phone or anything. It's not like she can just walk out of there.

Current status: she's basically their slave labor for now until they decide to ship her back to Pakistan and drop her to the airport.

I was not trying to imply that she could "just walk out of there" more I was thinking maybe I know a resource to help her

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I see. I only have information in bits and pieces for now, but this is helpful.

Exactly. As was stated for the K-1 the beneficiary, that's her in this case, has a fairly hands on part in the process...so at some point she had to have known..

Also you said she was told you she has married the USC in Pakistan before coming here... did she?

Again, if she did marry him in Pakistan then proceeded with the K-1 she could be deported just for that misrepresentation because she should never have received that type of visa.

If she did not marry the USC(or it is not 'valid' marriage), then again she also has no real route into staying in the US because she an the USC failed to follow through on marrying within the 90 days, or at all so far.. only through the marriage could she really use the VAWA as a way to stay.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Her US stay is likely to be short, regardless of her current situation. Being already married and subsequently going for the K1 process is willful immigration fraud. She lied her way through the entire K-visa process, prior to all the bad stuff happening to her in the US.

If she traveled all the way from Pakistan to the US, was interviewed while exiting pakistan (which takes effort) AND interviewed by CBP upon entry to the US, and uses Facebook, there is no way she doesn't know the address she's at.

Your best bet is to call the cops if she's being abused, and let the legal process take over.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Incomplete. You don't go through an interview without knowing what's going on. Get help for the abuse, but she shouldn't even be in the US.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

She would have had to be schooled to get through a K1 when married.

Big time.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

She would have had to be schooled to get through a K1 when married.

Big time.

I find this conclusion a little surprising. When my husband had his cr-1 interview, he said they didn't really ask him any questions, it seemed they had already decided to approve the visa ahead of time. I would imagine a k-1 could go the same way? Although probably they are stricter in Pakistan.

It also seems to me that if the description of her situation is close to accurate, she could be considered a victim of human trafficking, and I am surprised to hear that there is no legal protection available for someone who was brought to the country under false pretenses, and then severely abused, regardless of whether she understood that she was participating in fraud. It sounds (again, if her story is true) that she didn't have a lot of choice in either the marriage or the immigration even when she was in her home country. I am also surprised by the number of people saying that she SHOULD be deported, regardless of the circumstance she might face in her home country. Perhaps they just don't believe that severe abuse and human trafficking really exist?

Please note, I am not claiming to be an expert. I am only posing the questions above in an attempt to learn more about the legal implications of the situation.

Hi, you should try http://www.thehotline.org/.

I've once tried to help out a domestic violence victim (she was also an immigrant, didn't know her phone number, basically forced to live in a garage) through this national hotline and they were greatly helpful, providing lots of legal resources. I've talked to them via live chat but you could call them if you prefer.

AOS Packet (I-485, AP, EAD)

2016.10.11 Documents sent

2016.10.12 Documents received to Chicago lockbox

2016.10.25 NOA1 text & email / Biometrics fee received

2016.10.29 NOA1 letters in mail

2016.11.04 Biometrics Letter received & Biometrics done! (originally scheduled for 2016.11.14)

2016.12.09 I-485: Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

2016.12.23 Interview scheduled to 2017.1.31

2017.1.12 EAD and AP approved (EAD status was first "New card being produced" then soon changed to "Case Approved")

2017.1.17 EAD and AP approval letter in hand 

2017.1.31 I-485 Interview & Status says "'New card being produced" :)

ROC

2018.11.03 Documents sent via USPS Priority Express

2018.11.05 Documents delivered to Texas

2018.12.11 NOA1 Extension Letter received

2019.07.12 Biometrics Letter received - appt date 07.25

It also seems to me that if the description of her situation is close to accurate, she could be considered a victim of human trafficking, and I am surprised to hear that there is no legal protection available for someone who was brought to the country under false pretenses, and then severely abused, regardless of whether she understood that she was participating in fraud. It sounds (again, if her story is true) that she didn't have a lot of choice in either the marriage or the immigration even when she was in her home country. I am also surprised by the number of people saying that she SHOULD be deported, regardless of the circumstance she might face in her home country. Perhaps they just don't believe that severe abuse and human trafficking really exist?

I concur. That said, I'm not aware of the legal implications of human trafficking. I think that's an issue beyond what a DIY forum can properly address other than she needs to seek out a shelter and good legal counsel as a first step.

Some things about the story sound a little...off or incomplete. I think that's part of the source of skepticism. If true, it's definitely one of the more severe cases I could find here on VJ. Nobody wants to believe that it's as straightforward awful as it has been explained...that there's something else going on. Maybe there is and maybe there isn't. Either way, I think guessing at it isn't doing anybody any good. What's important is that she is directed to where to get help if it's true.

I think a bunch of the comments are more along the lines that they believe she WILL be deported, not that she should be deported. Not all of them...and I'll save my opinion on that subject as I can't bring what I want to say out and stay civil. :) But anyway, deportation is potentially a death sentence here, so I really hope there is another option.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Timeline

I am sorry but i feel this story is flawed. In my honest Opinion, USC specially from Asian countries are usually very skeptical in sponsoring some one from those part of the world. Honestly, think about that gentleman went all the way and filed K-1- which is itself 7-8 months process and then brought her here to just beat her up ? and get himself into domestic violence issues. Seems kind of difficult to swallow. U visa is very difficult to get and since she is on K-1 She cannot change her visa status to F-1. Her best bet is to secure her religious divorce on piece of paper and go back.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.