Groogrux108

Police Certificates, Court and Prison Records (Brazil)

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi guys, so my wife has lived in Natal and João Pessoa between 2007 and 2010... she has lived in Pernambuco for over 6 years straight. Our interview is next month (we filed 1-130 on Feb 22nd)... upon reaching the NVC I sent:

-Federal Police Cert.

-Pernambuco Police Cert

-Rio Grande do Norte Police Cert.

-Paraíba Police Cert

Though we have already been approved, we actually sent in online issued Police Certificates which we've read could not be used (is this true?).. the ones issued by SDS which are required can only be obtained personally in each state...

So... Reading up on this today I found that:

Applicants in Brazil will need to provide a police certificate from each state in which they have lived for over six months during the last five years as well as a federal police certificate. (https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/BR.html)

This means that, in our case, we will only have to take to the interview the Federal Police Records and Pernambuco State Police Records.

Are we taking a risk by not taking the police records of places she has lived many years ago? Seeing that we did send them in to NVC although they apparently were not required?

As a second question: What do we need in terms of Court or Prison records if she has never been charged with any crime? Do we just take no documents related to this (besides the police certificates of course), or do we have to provide documents that clearly state we have no Court or Prison records (nada-consta)?

Thanks you guys!

Filed: EB-5 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi Groogrux,

online police certificates are fine IF they are "Atestado de Antecedentes Criminais" issued by the State Secretaria de Segurança Pública. Normally, for a Brazilian State to be able to issue this certificate you will need that state issued ID (RG). However, as you state below, you'll need only certificates for the last five years, so if your wife lived on those states in 2007 and 2010, as per the text on US Consulate in Rio, you would not need police certificates from Rio Grande do Norte and Paraíba. You would need a certificate from Pernambuco though. Does she has a RG issued in Pernambuco? If not, probably she will need one before they would issue the certificate.

The Federal Police is very straightforward as you can get it online in a few minutes.

If she never been arrested, prosecuted or convicted she won't need to present any court records. The police certificates will show a clean record (they are the nada-consta).

Joster

Hi guys, so my wife has lived in Natal and João Pessoa between 2007 and 2010... she has lived in Pernambuco for over 6 years straight. Our interview is next month (we filed 1-130 on Feb 22nd)... upon reaching the NVC I sent:

-Federal Police Cert.

-Pernambuco Police Cert

-Rio Grande do Norte Police Cert.

-Paraíba Police Cert

Though we have already been approved, we actually sent in online issued Police Certificates which we've read could not be used (is this true?).. the ones issued by SDS which are required can only be obtained personally in each state...

So... Reading up on this today I found that:

Applicants in Brazil will need to provide a police certificate from each state in which they have lived for over six months during the last five years as well as a federal police certificate. (https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/BR.html)

This means that, in our case, we will only have to take to the interview the Federal Police Records and Pernambuco State Police Records.

Are we taking a risk by not taking the police records of places she has lived many years ago? Seeing that we did send them in to NVC although they apparently were not required?

As a second question: What do we need in terms of Court or Prison records if she has never been charged with any crime? Do we just take no documents related to this (besides the police certificates of course), or do we have to provide documents that clearly state we have no Court or Prison records (nada-consta)?

Thanks you guys!

• 2 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

How did the interview go?

im curious about your police certificate situation.

I born in Brazil and have lived in the U.S since I was 14 and have never left/lived anywhere else. So I don't need to get a police certificate according to the instructions but I just wanted some peace of mind and tripple check. Emailing the consulate was no help .

and I won't need one from the US either according to the instructions since I was finger printed already here. My waiver was approved and my interview is April 14th

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.