Lisa Julianna

K1 - US Entry Process

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!!!

Next Saturday, December 31st my fiance travel to US... How is the process in the airport with USCIS? He will have an interview? How long it takes?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

There's no interview. He should let the person directing the line know that he is coming on a K1 visa, they will tell him what line to stand in (depends on the airport). They will take his sealed packet, open it and stamp his passport. They may ask a few questions, but usually just for the cause of conversation.It should only take a few minutes. It may happen in the main area or in a secondary inspection office (depends on the airport and how busy they are).

The majority of time will be spent standing in line and collecting luggage, just like when you usually enter.

Edited by A'n'L

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Where' s POE for you?

http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/poereviews.php

^^^ use this link to see reviews.

It's pretty simple. Fingerprints, photo, reminder that you have 90 days to marry, goes into a room where they take brown envelope, welcome to America. Not an interview.

Filed: Timeline

Usually it is a non event. We had mutual friends fiance came on a K1 couple years ago and went thru POE at LAX. She was questioned about her fiance, about his age, etc. THey had her crying, they were telling her they were going to not allow her into the USA, it was a mess.

Since then she has been here 3 years, and it has been good we take vacations with them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's typically pretty straight forward, but in my experience they sure took their time with everyone else leading up to me...missed my flight because of them (POE is in Canada and not the U.S. in my case).

Your visa clearly outlines your intent to stay permanently so it's not like they're gonna drill you on how long you're staying or if you have ties to your country or anything like that. They'll just ask you some basic questions about your fiance (which you should already know) and other customs-related questions like making sure you're declaring everything you need to declare and such. Some people like to inventory their stuff by line item, but in my experience they didn't seem to care what was inside my luggage.

Edited by zilchfox

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

My fiancé port of entry was philly it was pretty easy we were directed to another room where they took the seal envelop and than stamp his passport and advise us we had 90 days to married.. we than walk out and collect our bags..

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

My fiancé port of entry was philly it was pretty easy we were directed to another room where they took the seal envelop and than stamp his passport and advise us we had 90 days to married.. we than walk out and collect our bags..

So they allowed you to accompany your fiance to the other room?

April 22, 2020 - I-751 sent

April 23, 2020 - I-751 received at Lockbox 

April 29, 2020 - Check cashed
??? - didn’t receive text or email confirmation. Ugh!

Filed: Timeline

I accompined my fiance on the flight to USA. We stood in line, the immigration person took her paper work and then she for some odd reason asked me if I had filed my taxes last year, I told her of course I did it was part of the interview process to show taxes.

Then she told me once we were married to go to our local USCIS office in Dallas and file for AOS, which was incorrect. I just looked at her and said sure thing.

She was a borderline idiot.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.