Jump to content
From Ukraine

When can we get a driver's license?

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

It may differ in your state.

In North Carolina I was able to get a drivers license when I applied after getting married. However in NC (and many other states) they only ever issue a license with an expiry date up to your legal presence. So each time this is extended (EAD, GC, etc) I have to go back and get a new license. I've probably have 4 or 5 now. I don't need to redo the test however.

The good thing with getting it early is that I was still legal to drive on my UK license as I'd been in NC for less than 60 days. So I could drive on that during the test, and to and from the test center (and could show insurance that covered me). If it was past 60 days I don't think I could have driven on my UK license, so would have had to have learner insurance etc.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.