Jump to content

Activating VISA/ GC

9 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi, i have a question to activating the Visa/ GC after the final Processing.

Does anyone know if the 6 Month timeframe also applies to DoD Civilian Spouses in Germany ??

Background to this is, that my Husband is an civilian employee currently on PPP ( priority Placement Programm for federal employees )

We filed for my GC as soon as we found out that he did not get extendet.

Approval of the Petition is pending.

I would like to know, if i still have to activate my GC in the US in Case my Husband has no official Orders for PCS by Time I receive my Visa.

TIA and merry Christmas to all of you

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you,

We won´t know when we leave until my Husband has a Hit on his PPP. Once this happens , he might has only 45 Days to report to the Job.. and there is no telling as to when he will be picked up.

What is the Procedure on delaying the Interview in case i have to ?

would it not be better, to activate the GC in the US and return to Germany after ???

Which is easier??

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You would just ask for an interview X months out, or re-schedule the interview if you already have a date. As long as you keep in touch with them at leats once a year, your approved I-130 will stay valid.

There are two issues with your plan of "activating visa, get GC, return to Germany".

- The petitioner, ie your USC husband, is supposed to move before or at the same time as you. So your husband remaining in Germany, even if he comes with you for a short vacation in the USA, is illegal, or a grey area at best (the issue between illegal and grey area being whether he still holds domicile in the USA, or is re-establishing it).

- The greencard is more accurately called the permanent resident card; you are supposed to live in the USA with it. Now, if you get your greencard and then go back to Germany for 3-4 months, you will probably be ok (notwithstanding the above issue). But if you stay abroad longer than 6 months, it will be on you to prove you did not abandon your US residency, and if longer than a year abroad, your greencard is considered abandoned.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Once more about this topic:

I just found an information on the USCIS Website, stating that Government Employees are considered domiciled in USA even when they are living abroad ( Germany in our Case )

" Some individuals employed overseas are automatically considered as domiciled in the United States because of the
nature of their employment. The qualifying types of employment include employment by:
A. The U.S. Government;"

Would this make a difference in Activating the Visa for me ???

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.