Voice of Reason

In Wake of Trump, Democrats Suddenly Discover Freedom of Association

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

"Meanwhile, Anthony Bourdain has announced that he wont eat at any restaurant hosted at Trump Tower; fashion icon Andre Leon Talley has said he wont dress Melania anymore; artists whose products hang in Ivanka Trumps apartment have asked her to remove their art.

Well, well.

Suddenly, it seems, the left has discovered freedom of association. After years of telling religious people that they had a moral and legal obligation to throw out their religion and serve same-sex weddings, provide contraception, and fund abortion, the left now realizes that the ability to pick and choose those to whom you give your services is actually rather vital.

Dont expect it to last.

Of course artists should be able to turn down clients. So should religious bakers. But you wont see the left acknowledge that. The only freedom to turn down clients is the freedom for leftists to turn down conservative and religious clients, not the other way around."

http://www.dailywire.com/news/11861/wake-trump-democrats-suddenly-discover-freedom-ben-shapiro

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You don't quite understand how the low works. I suggest you look up the term 'protected class' and see what it means.

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

Filed: Timeline

Yeah. That's it. My purported lack of understanding caused that article to be written. Just like your confidence that Hillary would get elected led to her being president.

You don't quite understand how the low works. I suggest you look up the term 'protected class' and see what it means.

How does the low work

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

How does the low work

it's well documented in the op.......

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

A vendor discriminating against a customer on the basis of sexual orientation is not the same thing as a customer "discriminating" against a vendor for being a jackass. They are opposite scenarios, and failure of the article to realize that is either purposefully misleading or willfully stupid. I would guess the latter.

There is no law that I know of that prevents a customer from discriminating against a business. You can have any reason for not shopping at Walmart (for example) and there's nothing that can be done legally. The same is not true in reverse. In some instances a business will suffer legal consequences for refusing services, in others they will not. Most businesses that operate successfully and within the scope of the law get this. It's not that hard to understand. I'm not sure why people are intent on making it so.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Timeline

Yeah. That's it. My purported lack of understanding caused that article to be written. Just like your confidence that Hillary would get elected led to her being president.

Don't be silly, your lack of understanding, obviously didn't cause the article to be written. Great minds think alike, but fools never differ.

June 14, 2013 RFE

A vendor discriminating against a customer on the basis of sexual orientation is not the same thing as a customer "discriminating" against a vendor for being a jackass. They are opposite scenarios, and failure of the article to realize that is either purposefully misleading or willfully stupid. I would guess the latter.

There is no law that I know of that prevents a customer from discriminating against a business. You can have any reason for not shopping at Walmart (for example) and there's nothing that can be done legally. The same is not true in reverse. In some instances a business will suffer legal consequences for refusing services, in others they will not. Most businesses that operate successfully and within the scope of the law get this. It's not that hard to understand. I'm not sure why people are intent on making it so.

I am guessing you missed (or chose to ignore) this part:

"artists whose products hang in Ivanka Trumps apartment have asked her to remove their art."

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that a case of a vendor discriminating against a customer?

Edited by jg121783

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Timeline

I am guessing you missed (or chose to ignore) this part:

"artists whose products hang in Ivanka Trumps apartment have asked her to remove their art."

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that a case of a vendor discriminating against a customer?

Reread my post. I didn't say vendors can't discriminate. I said they can't in certain circumstances. Those circumstances are well defined legally under federal and state law.

Artists asking Ivanka Trump to remove art is neither here nor there. If she owns it she can do what she wants with it, including leaving it up.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Reread my post. I didn't say vendors can't discriminate. I said they can't in certain circumstances. Those circumstances are well defined legally under federal and state law.

Artists asking Ivanka Trump to remove art is neither here nor there. If she owns it she can do what she wants with it, including leaving it up.

Isn't that the rub, let the people decide and keep the government out of it. If a vendor chooses to make their religious beliefs known then stop shopping there. Do we need the government to punish people for expressing their protected religious beliefs?

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Isn't that the rub, let the people decide and keep the government out of it. If a vendor chooses to make their religious beliefs known then stop shopping there. Do we need the government to punish people for expressing their protected religious beliefs?

Or like in GA you cant allow people to smoke in a Restaurant, don't get me wrong I really enjoy the smoke free restaurants and probably would not eat at a place that allowed smoking

Seems to me however if I want to build a place to eat, and allow customers to smoke in it, then if you don't like it go elsewhere.

Timeline

Religion can't be used as an excuse for discrimination. At any rate, I don't think anyone is going to Hell for baking a cake, it's not a tenet of any religion. It's a personal decision to discriminate using religion to justify that. If God exists, I think he has bigger fish to fry.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Religion can't be used as an excuse for discrimination. At any rate, I don't think anyone is going to Hell for baking a cake, it's not a tenet of any religion. It's a personal decision to discriminate using religion to justify that. If God exists, I think he has bigger fish to fry.

I agree not serving gays is absurd.. but playing the devils advocate

If a Muslim owned catering service did not want to serve roast pork at an event, could they refuse

Timeline

If a Muslim owned catering service did not want to serve roast pork at an event, could they refuse

So long as they aren't changing policies just to discriminate against a protected class. Next question. Edited by Póg mo

June 14, 2013 RFE

Timeline

A Muslim owned caterer wouldn't have pork as a menu item. You wouldn't hire them if you need pork. However if a Muslim owned bakery refuses to bake a cake for your same sex wedding, you could sue.

QCjgyJZ.jpg