Jimfwilliams42

Duterte support, Immigration and EJK

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello all,

My asawa and I are at NOA1 K1 Visa status. Putting political opinions aside, I'm hoping for some insight into forms we will be processing in the future that ask about Extra Judicial Killings. When obtaining a green card I-485 asks, Have you EVER ordered, incited, called for, committed, helped with, or otherwise do any of the following: a. Acts involving torture or genocide? b. Killing any person?…

The auther of the following article makes the argument that supporting Duterte can be categorized as helping with the Extra Judicial Killings being reported out of the Philippines. A similar question is asked during the naturalization process as well.

https://globalnation.inquirer.net/150954/dutertes-ejk-supporters-violate-us-immigration-laws

Does anybody here have experience with the Greencard and citizenship process? Does the process just involve a simple yes/no on a form or is this an interview process? Is it possible that facebook would be investigated of persons applying for the Greencard and citizenship process?

She's a supporter of Duterete and has a minor mention of her support on her facebook. I advised her to avoid political references on Facebook, but I'm wondering if I should have her delete any political stances completely.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Merry Christmas!!!

Filed: Timeline

Plenty of people here have experience with the green card (and subsequently citizenship process). There are a series of questions similar to what you've cited above, based on US law and meant to bar individuals with backgrounds that run contrary to US law (e.g., association with totalitarian parties, etc.). You need to determine the extent of her support - the question is a simple yes/no. If you answer yes, you'll have the chance to explain further. Depending upon the circumstances, US law allows for waivers. In no case should you try to hide anything - you need to be prepared to work thru the consequences of your Fiance's background.

Your advice to avoid any and all political groups, statements of support, leadership positions, etc. is sound. While I initially don't think this will be an issue, you need to decide for yourself, after researching. If you think you have a problem, there are lawyers well versed in sticky immigration issues that can assist. They should understand the law, understand the waivers, and understand the extended review process (e.g., AP).

And yes, they will look at Facebook. While she can delete postings, it's cached somewhere, never goes away.

Best of luck.

BTW, if you have questions, please IM me.

Edited by JRF

I agree with JRF. Your advice regarding political statements and such on social media (or other public forums) is sound. The US is a free country, but I would still recommend not potentially pushing buttons that don't need to be pushed. :)

Yes, it's a simple Yes/No. Yes, you need to take into account all the circumstances surrounding the issue. That said, merely supporting a candidate or president is very likely not a justifiable cause for rejection. Explicitly showing support for EJKs would (IMHO) likely cross the line into something that would need to be explained. And always tell the truth in the forms and interviews. You absolutely do not want to lie during this process as the consequences can be severe.

Yes, they can, and probably will, check Facebook (and other websites).

Good luck.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello all,

My asawa and I are at NOA1 K1 Visa status. Putting political opinions aside, I'm hoping for some insight into forms we will be processing in the future that ask about Extra Judicial Killings. When obtaining a green card I-485 asks, Have you EVER ordered, incited, called for, committed, helped with, or otherwise do any of the following: a. Acts involving torture or genocide? b. Killing any person?…

The auther of the following article makes the argument that supporting Duterte can be categorized as helping with the Extra Judicial Killings being reported out of the Philippines. A similar question is asked during the naturalization process as well.

https://globalnation.inquirer.net/150954/dutertes-ejk-supporters-violate-us-immigration-laws

Does anybody here have experience with the Greencard and citizenship process? Does the process just involve a simple yes/no on a form or is this an interview process? Is it possible that facebook would be investigated of persons applying for the Greencard and citizenship process?

She's a supporter of Duterete and has a minor mention of her support on her facebook. I advised her to avoid political references on Facebook, but I'm wondering if I should have her delete any political stances completely.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Merry Christmas!!!

Add the word DIRECTLY to "involved".

... just because a person voted for Duterte and supports the PRESIDENT OF THE PHILIPPINES ... serious?? That doesn't make you INVOLVED in violent actions.

https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/USCIS/Office%20of%20Citizenship/Citizenship%20Resource%20Center%20Site/Publications/PDFs/G-1151.pdf

https://www.uscis.gov/n-400

Visa chase and citizenship.. DONE!

For helpful information  gif animation     CLICK HERE!

Timeline

I'm dead serious. I assume you didn't read the article. The author makes valid points referencing specific inquiries relating to various stages of immigration as well as the visitor visa process.

I know it is a stretch. However, it seems that the wish for the next administration is to limit certain demographics from the immigration process.

If that is the case, I don't think it is a strech to limit those that don't share the ideological views of the USA (like due process). I certainly agree with that.

If an immigrant shows an association to the Nazi party we shouldn't let that petitioner in. I think Duterte is fast approaching, if not already, that category.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm dead serious. I assume you didn't read the article. The author makes valid points referencing specific inquiries relating to various stages of immigration as well as the visitor visa process.

I know it is a stretch. However, it seems that the wish for the next administration is to limit certain demographics from the immigration process.

If that is the case, I don't think it is a strech to limit those that don't share the ideological views of the USA (like due process). I certainly agree with that.

If an immigrant shows an association to the Nazi party we shouldn't let that petitioner in. I think Duterte is fast approaching, if not already, that category.

A stretch?? More like taking a grain of sand and making it into the rock of Gibraltar. Millions voted for Duterte... and some of them are immigrating to the USA or have since he was elected... or are from Davao and voted for him as mayor and are now LPR in the USA.

We are talking the President of the Philippines, not Nazi Germany in the 30-40s.

Ya I read the article, guy is a dufus ...

Like I already said, add the word DIRECTLY ...

DID YOUR FIANCEE ACTUALLY DO THIS - Any alien who, outside the United States, has committed, ordered, incited, assisted, or otherwise participated ???????

If NOT then the answer obvious.

Edited by Philippines^Sagot

Visa chase and citizenship.. DONE!

For helpful information  gif animation     CLICK HERE!

Jimfwilliams42, on 23 Dec 2016 - 9:14 PM, said:

As you put it "the next administration" has thrown out tidbits of information that really cannot be sewn together to state a "policy". So why are you so concerned? Voting for someone is not an automatic denial. The vetting that has been loosely thrown out by the "next admistration" looks to be those encompass those who are coming from "Muslim Countries" and, the Philippines, last I checked, is not a Muslim country.

Relax. I think you are reading too much into this topic.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

As you put it "the next administration" has thrown out tidbits of information that really cannot be sewn together to state a "policy". So why are you so concerned? Voting for someone is not an automatic denial. The vetting that has been loosely thrown out by the "next admistration" looks to be those encompass those who are coming from "Muslim Countries" and, the Philippines, last I checked, is not a Muslim country.

Relax. I think you are reading too much into this topic.

Well, actually he amended his desired policy to prevent immigration from countries linked with terrorism, and implied that could include the Philippines in a speech. When asked specifically if the ban could include the Philippines, he did not give a clear answer either way. The "Muslim ban" was dropped in favor of this updated policy (probably because the former was outright illegal).

I don't think he even has the authority or legislative support to do what he wants, but we'll see how things unfold.

But yes, I don't think any rational person believes that just voting for Duterte or even showing support for him is a legitimate reason to be concerned. But like I said, if somebody supports some of his policies that do not reflect American values (like EJKs), then that's a different issue. Even then, the specific question on the petition is about if you are personally involved with a specific incident, not about having values in alignment with the US.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You think and analyze way too much. Voting doesnt mean directly associated. ?

Timeline

This I just WAY over thinking, wow do you really think they would even tie who you voted for and any people that have died because of the Philippines Presidents stance on fighting drugs....seriously that won't be an issue...end of story, but thanks for the conspiracy theory paranoia, haha.

K1 is for non married couples.

I believe the OP has confused you because of the "asawa" term he used. In his context it meant girl friend. It really didn't require a response because it had no baring on his questions.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

This I just WAY over thinking, wow do you really think they would even tie who you voted for and any people that have died because of the Philippines Presidents stance on fighting drugs....seriously that won't be an issue...end of story, but thanks for the conspiracy theory paranoia, haha.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You know there was a grassy knoll somewhere.....

K1 VISA
10/23/16....I-129F FEDEX 2nd day to Lewisville, TX
10/26/16....Delivered at Lewisville, TX

10/28/16....NOA1 Text and Email

10/28/16....NOA1 Date on Hard Copy Notice
11/04/16....NOA1 Hard Copy Received

w..a...i...t...i...n...g........ :clock:

11/22/16....NOA2 Text Only

11/22/16....NOA2 Approval Date - no email yet
11/28/16....NOA2 Hard Copy Received

w..a..i...t...i...n...g........ :clock:

12/06/16....Called NVC - No case yet (15 days after NOA2)

12/12/16....Called NVC - I-129F Received - no case number yet.

12/13/16....Case Number Received

12/15/16....Case status set as "In Transit"  to US Embassy in Manilla, PH

12/19/16....Embassy Received. Case status set as "Ready"

12/19/16....Emailed NVC asking for case information as it was never received (I know its too early - Just Do It Anyway)

w..a..i...t...i...n...g........ :clock:

xx/xx/xx......Never Received NVC letter hard copy from NVC (STILL MISSING GRRRRR)

01/03/17....NVC replied to email providing NVC letter and info

01/04/17....Medical Completed

01/04/17....Fedex I-134 (wet signature) and all documents needed from petitioner for CFO and for the USEM interview (employment, divorce decree, etc...)
02/08/17....Interview 
02/09/17....Visa Issued

02/15/17....Visa In Hand :jest:

02/17/17....CFO Interview, Yellow sticker in hand

03/07/17....POE - San Francisco, CA

K1 is for non married couples.

Why are you always so negative on your posts? Almost every post I see with you is something negative.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.