yutekao

Applying for SSN question

31 posts in this topic

Hello guys!

My fiancee came to the US with a K-1 Visa today and should we wait 2 weeks before going to the local SSN Office to apply for her SSN?

I saw on the forum that you should wait 2 weeks but I just want to see if anyone had different experiences on this.

Any information is appreciated

No need to wait. I applied for my SSN four days after I arrived in the US.

My fiancee just came to the US today so is it a good idea if I go tomorrow morning? or the SSN office will need to manually put her info in the data?

They asked me for my birth certificate, and list it on their site as a required document if you have it, which you should.

Sweden doesn't even issue birth certificates so I guess I'm lucky Texas doesn't require it, but Ok if so would be good for OP to bring :)

The State Department indicates that Sweden issues birth certificates:

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/SW.html

That's incorrect... we only have civic registration certificates ie print outs from a population registry that carries all info. A marriage certificate a birth certificate a name change document... it's all the same to us.. but we don't have the official kind that the US do... it's all stored electronically and we order a printout online for the purpose needed.

Which doesn't matter at all to the OP, but since you mentioned :P

Edited by Suss&Camm

I had to show my "birth certificate" here in California, but I bet it depends on the person you end up with at the SS office. Shouldn't be a problem to bring it to the SSO though, I assume most immigrants bring their BC to the US when they move anyway.

Like Suss&Camm said, we don't even have real BCs in Sweden, but it worked fine for the SSN at least.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.