kymadex

Confused and Hopeful: Poverty Level

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

All of this aside, the immigration process is VERY expensive and you really need to take that into consideration. Not only is there an application fee, there is the cost of the medical(not sure how much it is in the UK, but for my husband 5 years ago in Jordan is was more than $400 US dollars), there is the adjustment of status after you marry which is well over $1k, biometrics fees, any many other incidental fess that add up very quickly plus plane fare for him to travel here. You're looking at a minimum of around $5k on the low end. Then once he's here he will not be able to work for several months after you marry and file for AOS because he has to have EAD. I applied for a CR1 on behalf of my husband, which meant he had his green card the moment he set foot into the US giving him the ability to work on day one and it took him 5 months to find a job, he's a computer engineer and that job was loading trucks at Walmart. No one was willing to hire him in his field with no US work experience. It took him an additional 5 months(a total of 10 months) to find a job in his field and it was only(he had to get his foot in the door somehow) an intern position for only $10 an hour and 4 months on top of THAT to be hired full time as an engineer. So 14 months from the day he arrived to find a full time job in his field. I'm not trying to frighten you I'm only being honest, the process is long and difficult.

You need to read the guides at the top of the page and the application for the K-1 to even begin to understand how much time, effort and money goes into this process. I wish you the best of luck, but you really need to be in a better place financially before you jump into this process. You do not earn enough and you cannot depend on "what ifs" as far as getting enough hours to earn 19k which is well below the 100% minimum, once you file adjustment of status that goes up to 125% plus you stated that you don't have a viable joint sponsor.

In addition to this you also do need to consider the finances of the beneficiary. There are several costs for the beneficiary so where they say it is around the $500 mark from tomorrow to apply for the K1 this is all the USC has to pay at this point...

The benificary will have to pay for the following:

• Birth certificates (if they don't already have them) - £30 aprx dependant on amount of copies ordered
  • Police check (ACRO) - £40 aprx dependant on amount of copies ordered
  • MPV visa payment - £222
  • Medical - £290 excl. any vaccinations required if missing, these are additional costs on top of the £290
  • courier for home delivery - £18 optional I believe, you can collect but DX depots are spread out and few and far in between depending on where your Fiance lives
  • Flight - Don't know the price to help but one way flights to USA from UK tend to be expensive. mine from London to PHX (this is the only direct flight) is £1600

If you are earning money then I can pretty much promise you that the London Embassy will request that tax return even if you earned a low amount of the previous year, They did for my Fiance even though I advised them she hadn't earned anywhere near enough on 2015 tax return.

Although they can approve the K1 on 100% of the poverty guideline they do strive for you to be over that 125% because that's what you need for the AOS. My Fiance earns above that 125% and I can tell you when we look at how much it is going to cost to have me there without me working straight away, its going to be really tight on money and that is with no luxuries.

she is tied into her companies insurance so to insure me and her its looking around $450 for the month, along with the rent for the apartment, electric, gas for the car to get her to work we are looking at $1300 a month. That's before food, mobile phones, internet so your fiance can keep in touch with family back home, Pets if you have any, cable TV ect...

The 125% at the moment is $2025. I am not sure if anyone else knows when it is but isn't this likely to change at some point? As originally when me and my Fiance looked into the K1 right before we applied it was more like $19000

someone has advised 6 monthly pay stubs but this is not what I used, for proof of income as she was now earning over the 125% was the following:

6 x weekly pay stubs (not monthly)

Letter from employer on letter headed paper confirming permanent employment, hours contracted, start date, hourly wage.

Several bank statements showing deposits

1 x tax return (showing she earned less then $11000

I think the first time they ask for proof of income is at the beneficiary's interview so I would personally find out about your raises or try to get a final salary from them. If its under the income requirement for AOS then I would definitely look for a co-sponsor. If that is not an option for you then I would look at either holding off until you are on the right amount of money for the 125% or get a new job (if possible, I know it is easier said than done) that meets the 125% requirement.

Timeline

This is a great video about how much it costs to move from U.K. to USA using a k1 visa

10/3/16 I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX

10/5/16 Delivered at Lewisville, TX

10/11/16 NOA1 Received

11/3/16 NOA2 Received

11/8/16 NOA2 Hard Copy Received

11/22/16 NVC Received I-129

12/2/16 Consulate Review

12/15/16 Interview Date

In addition to this you also do need to consider the finances of the beneficiary. There are several costs for the beneficiary so where they say it is around the $500 mark from tomorrow to apply for the K1 this is all the USC has to pay at this point...

The benificary will have to pay for the following:

• Birth certificates (if they don't already have them) - £30 aprx dependant on amount of copies ordered
  • Police check (ACRO) - £40 aprx dependant on amount of copies ordered
  • MPV visa payment - £222
  • Medical - £290 excl. any vaccinations required if missing, these are additional costs on top of the £290
  • courier for home delivery - £18 optional I believe, you can collect but DX depots are spread out and few and far in between depending on where your Fiance lives
  • Flight - Don't know the price to help but one way flights to USA from UK tend to be expensive. mine from London to PHX (this is the only direct flight) is £1600
If you are earning money then I can pretty much promise you that the London Embassy will request that tax return even if you earned a low amount of the previous year, They did for my Fiance even though I advised them she hadn't earned anywhere near enough on 2015 tax return.

Although they can approve the K1 on 100% of the poverty guideline they do strive for you to be over that 125% because that's what you need for the AOS. My Fiance earns above that 125% and I can tell you when we look at how much it is going to cost to have me there without me working straight away, its going to be really tight on money and that is with no luxuries.

I just want to say that you can find flights for less, does not need to be one way, nor direct. Look up the Ita matrix and how to do advance search there, very useful.

Timeline

I just want to say that you can find flights for less, does not need to be one way, nor direct. Look up the Ita matrix and how to do advance search there, very useful.

Hi, no you're right it doesn't have to be one way or direct. But I was just stating the example of mine. If I want to fly direct and not make 2 stops and have my POE God only knows where I had to do a direct. Also to book 2 way means you are likely to either ticket throw or use that return at a later date then next time you book you will have to do the same again. In other words at some point you would have to book a one way flight unless you plan on booking returns well in advance and I'm talking months and just hope you have time of work. Unless there is another way around it. Like I say... my price on flights was purely and example for me to get from LHR to PHX one way (as in theory this is what I will be doing) and direct (personal preference) the flight to do 2 stops I could get for around £600 and they were self transfers. Travel time was about 30 hours. Didn't really fancy that to be honest with you. Just want to get on one flight and be there in the 10 and a half hours :)

Hi, no you're right it doesn't have to be one way or direct. But I was just stating the example of mine. If I want to fly direct and not make 2 stops and have my POE God only knows where I had to do a direct. Also to book 2 way means you are likely to either ticket throw or use that return at a later date then next time you book you will have to do the same again. In other words at some point you would have to book a one way flight unless you plan on booking returns well in advance and I'm talking months and just hope you have time of work. Unless there is another way around it. Like I say... my price on flights was purely and example for me to get from LHR to PHX one way (as in theory this is what I will be doing) and direct (personal preference) the flight to do 2 stops I could get for around £600 and they were self transfers. Travel time was about 30 hours. Didn't really fancy that to be honest with you. Just want to get on one flight and be there in the 10 and a half hours :)

Your choice, again I just wanted to share the info as I'm finding direct flights under £700 for upcoming months.

Timeline

Thanks for the info. Yes direct flights can be found cheaper than £1600 depending on where you are flying from and to and the dates. The only way I can get a flight from LHR to PHX direct for £700 is if I book a return.

Thanks for the info. Yes direct flights can be found cheaper than £1600 depending on where you are flying from and to and the dates. The only way I can get a flight from LHR to PHX direct for £700 is if I book a return.

... Why would you not get a return flight and save £900? You do not have to ever use it, just cancel it if you end up not needing it...

Timeline

I'm sorry I am not sure you are understanding what I am saying.

If you book a return with no intention of using it and just throwing it away that is classed as ticket throwing. This is against the airlines policies and they can chase you for the outstanding amount that you would have paid if booking the correct one way flight and ban you from using the airline. I have already been advised the airline will not bother doing that as once will not keep them awake at night. However if you want to stick to the rules of the game then yes you would book a one way flight.

It is up to the individual if they want to stick to the rules or run the risks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.