16 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country:
Timeline

What kind of tax returns are accepted for ROC? We have form 1040EZ and are planning to photocopy every single paper in it. Unfortunately we tried getting the official transcripts through IRS and the web site doesn't seem to work. We are wondering if we can send what we have or are likely to get an RFE. I tried reading the instructions and it doesn't really seem to specify what form they prefer.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi yes it should be fine, but include any w2s or 1099s etc with the packet.

Pkg Sent:9/13/16

Received at Chicago Lock box: 9/16/16

Received Texts: 9/30/16

NOA1 Received: 10/4/16 : Receipt Date of 9/19/16

Bio Appt letter Received: 10/12/16

Bio Appt completed: 10/24/16

Card in production: 11/17/16

Combo Card received 11/25/16

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Our lawyer advised us to get a tax transcript instead of sending copies of my returns. Guess its easier for the USCIS to read two pages vs five 1040EZ Forms. (In my case its 1040A's)

If you have the time you can request it via mail from the IRS. Just go their website, download Form 4506-T and mail it in. 2nd option is to go to your local IRS office. get there before they open and request it in person. They normally will have it ready for you that same afternoon. (I stress NORMALLY). I went with option 2 as the IRS office is close to where I work and they did indeed give it to me that afternoon.

Which every route you decide on all the very best to you!

Edited by Arch_Angel

Timeline

That can take 2-4 weeks if she is not able to get it online.

Timeline

Im not sure what happened when you logged on to IRS but I just tried and it worked just fine.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

That can take 2-4 weeks if she is not able to get it online.

Assuming OP is working ahead of the ROC filing deadline, 2-4 week wait on the transcripts shouldn't be a problem.

Im not sure what happened when you logged on to IRS but I just tried and it worked just fine.

I, too, just used the site to try to get transcripts. Unfortunately, I went all the way through it and had all the correct info entered to get the transcript except... I didn't have a cell phone # and plan directly under my name. I have 1 cell phone thru my workplace and 1 cell phone that uses a pay-as-you-go plan.

So my option was to submit the application online (without the cell phone #) and wait for the IRS to mail me the transcript. I found an alternative to needing the transcript, but I will end up going through with an order for the transcript in about 3 months when my wife will be going through ROC.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You also have the option to visit your nearest local iRS office and request tax transcripts in person. Most don't require appointments but some do. So maybe call first if this is an option.

That is certainly another option. I just ordered some tax transcripts from IRS, I believe that I got them in the mail within ten days. Thankfully, it is currently not the tax-filing time of year.

YMMV.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Our lawyer advised us to get a tax transcript instead of sending copies of my returns. Guess its easier for the USCIS to read two pages vs five 1040EZ Forms. (In my case its 1040A's)

If you have the time you can request it via mail from the IRS. Just go their website, download Form 4506-T and mail it in. 2nd option is to go to your local IRS office. get there before they open and request it in person. They normally will have it ready for you that same afternoon. (I stress NORMALLY). I went with option 2 as the IRS office is close to where I work and they did indeed give it to me that afternoon.

Which every route you decide on all the very best to you!

Would a spouse be able to get their significant other's transcripts? The office appears to be open when the husband is at work,

We might just contact them by mail.

Thanks for the helpful comment.

Timeline

Assuming OP is working ahead of the ROC filing deadline, 2-4 week wait on the transcripts shouldn't be a problem.

I, too, just used the site to try to get transcripts. Unfortunately, I went all the way through it and had all the correct info entered to get the transcript except... I didn't have a cell phone # and plan directly under my name. I have 1 cell phone thru my workplace and 1 cell phone that uses a pay-as-you-go plan.

So my option was to submit the application online (without the cell phone #) and wait for the IRS to mail me the transcript. I found an alternative to needing the transcript, but I will end up going through with an order for the transcript in about 3 months when my wife will be going through ROC.

Yes, I am trying to collect documents ahead of time. 2 to 4 weeks wouldn't be bad, we also wonder if we'll be able to include this year's transcript if we go early next year. For some reason when we try to enter his info the web site won't work. I wonder if we have to sign up first or we did something wrong.

Every time I try to use the IRS website it is shut down, temporarily locked out, undergoing maintenance (etc.). I tried to call, but it wouldn't recognize our address either, though it hasn't changed and it did last time I called. Today the site says it will be shut down until "early January". I printed out form 4506-T and will try faxing it. Good luck!

Timeline

I have a prepaid phone and was able to get it without any issue.

Every time I try to use the IRS website it is shut down, temporarily locked out, undergoing maintenance (etc.). I tried to call, but it wouldn't recognize our address either, though it hasn't changed and it did last time I called. Today the site says it will be shut down until "early January". I printed out form 4506-T and will try faxing it. Good luck!

I did that too (fax) and had a response in 3 days. That was for verification of non filing for my non USC spouse too.

Filed: Timeline

My wife (soon-to-be-ex) has an ROC deadline of Feb. 19, 2017. She'll be using the 2014 and 2015 tax transcripts to show where we filed together. I usually don't do my taxes until April, but if I can get my taxes down in the 1st week of Feb. 2017, will I be able to provide her with the transcript as evidence for the ROC, or will it be too soon to get the Transcript in time for her I-751 packet?

My wife (soon-to-be-ex) has an ROC deadline of Feb. 19, 2017. She'll be using the 2014 and 2015 tax transcripts to show where we filed together. I usually don't do my taxes until April, but if I can get my taxes down in the 1st week of Feb. 2017, will I be able to provide her with the transcript as evidence for the ROC, or will it be too soon to get the Transcript in time for her I-751 packet?

If you don't get it in time you can always send in a hard copy of your completed transcript. It will be longer, but should work.

Timeline

No. transcript will not be available until a later date after the filing period.

If you don't get it in time you can always send in a hard copy of your completed transcript. It will be longer, but should work.

Did you mean completed 1040 and w2s?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Make sure you are using the social security number of the main person the taxes were filed under.  I was using mine and kept getting an error message.  Then it dawned on me to use hubby's and it went thru just fine lol.  We received the transcripts very quickly. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.