ninz

Easy way to get marry in Canada for two foreigners

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Since our K1 visa is going to be denied, my plan is to move for Canada for 3 moths (I'm french) to live with my USC fiance.

I know that two foreigners can get married in Canada but where we can do it faster and easier? Any advice appreciated.

03/18/16....I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX

03/30/16....Delivered at Lewisville, TX

04/04/16....$340 check cashed

04/06/16....NOA1 Text & E-mail. Case sent to CSC

04/08/16....NOA1 hardcopy received by post

04/11/16....called to USCIS inform about Name typo

04/27/16....Name typo updated

06/29/16....Got RFE

07/15/16....RFE was received by USCIS

08/01/16....NOA2 approved

WAIT/CALLING TO USCIS.. WAIT/CALLING TO USCIS.. WAIT/CALLING TO USCIS.. WAIT/CALLING TO USCIS..CONTACTING USCIS SUPERVISER..CONTACTING SENATOR..

10/03/16....Case sent to NVC (THEY LOST OUR CASE AND STOLE 2.5 MONTHS OF OUR HAPPINESS. Only senator's involvement helped to sort it out.)

10/13/16....NVC assigned case number (after waiting more than average)

WAIT/CALLING TO NVC.. WAIT/CALLING TO NVC...WAIT/CALLING TO NVC...LOSING MY MIND AGAIN..

11/16/16....NVC status changed to IN TRANSIT. Yay!

11/20/16....US Embassy received file but never contacted me

11/26/16....packet 3 received by consulate (packet 3 instructions was never sent by embassy, I sent packet 3 regardless)

11/28/16....interview scheduled on 12/22/2016

12/22/16....CO refused to consider self-earned income and refused co-sponsor. Refused to take in consideration my own assets and property income and well established freelance business. Asked to show $100K++ on bank account while he knew that we have maybe only $70K cash. 

03/22/17....After several fights was interviewed in Paris. They kept my passport. Was told Administrative Processing won't take more than 2-3 weeks.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Nevermind sorry forgot about your post from earlier.

Self deleted comment.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Okay just as a note because people WILL ask this.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/620503-embassy-asking-100125/

You had your interview in bangkok, it was denied because of not meeting the income limit (they don't take cosponsors) and translation of documents. Your fiance had a job in thailand for years, did not do his US taxes, and just started working with Uber in which the embassy didn't view as legit enough. You provided an I-134 and bank statements as proof of income for him.

Next, does HE live in Canada? Even as a USC you can't just move to Canada, you can visit but you can't live. You say you want to move there to live with him, that implies he lives there or is going to live there, which you may want to avoid since he only has next to none US income for the past few years. (Thailand teaching income 2.5 years, Uber driver since March 2016 or something)

With all that said, you're going to need to look at what is needed in Canada to both live, if that's what you want to do, and marry. I don't believe it's that hard to marry as a lot of places promote destination weddings, but living is a whole other ball game.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I'm nor planning to move in Canda, I want to VISIT Canada, alright? So I can see my SO who will meet me there, becasue we miss each other so much.

We won't stay there more than 3 months. We want to get married there and spend time together. So I'm wondering what where we can do it easier, with no much waiting. Ive heard quebec you must wait 20 days?

03/18/16....I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX

03/30/16....Delivered at Lewisville, TX

04/04/16....$340 check cashed

04/06/16....NOA1 Text & E-mail. Case sent to CSC

04/08/16....NOA1 hardcopy received by post

04/11/16....called to USCIS inform about Name typo

04/27/16....Name typo updated

06/29/16....Got RFE

07/15/16....RFE was received by USCIS

08/01/16....NOA2 approved

WAIT/CALLING TO USCIS.. WAIT/CALLING TO USCIS.. WAIT/CALLING TO USCIS.. WAIT/CALLING TO USCIS..CONTACTING USCIS SUPERVISER..CONTACTING SENATOR..

10/03/16....Case sent to NVC (THEY LOST OUR CASE AND STOLE 2.5 MONTHS OF OUR HAPPINESS. Only senator's involvement helped to sort it out.)

10/13/16....NVC assigned case number (after waiting more than average)

WAIT/CALLING TO NVC.. WAIT/CALLING TO NVC...WAIT/CALLING TO NVC...LOSING MY MIND AGAIN..

11/16/16....NVC status changed to IN TRANSIT. Yay!

11/20/16....US Embassy received file but never contacted me

11/26/16....packet 3 received by consulate (packet 3 instructions was never sent by embassy, I sent packet 3 regardless)

11/28/16....interview scheduled on 12/22/2016

12/22/16....CO refused to consider self-earned income and refused co-sponsor. Refused to take in consideration my own assets and property income and well established freelance business. Asked to show $100K++ on bank account while he knew that we have maybe only $70K cash. 

03/22/17....After several fights was interviewed in Paris. They kept my passport. Was told Administrative Processing won't take more than 2-3 weeks.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

fyi, if either of you have been divorced you will have great difficulty and extra expenses in doing things quickly. foreign divorces mustbe evaluated and declared valid by a lawyer before you may receive a marriage licence in some provinces.

the waiting periods can bee a few days-20days as you already know.

Edited by Transborderwife

Depends on where you want to visit in Canada. Note that I said visit while you said move. ;)

Each province had different requirements so take a look at their provincial vital statistics website to find out the requirements.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is not as simple as you might think. Getting married in Canada IME is far quirkier than the US, even as an American who was legitimately living in Canada with a Canadian.

Quebec requires you to post "The Banns", a notification 21 days in advance for marriage. Ontario has virtually no waiting period, but it is rather expensive to get married as it has to be a justice of the peace or recognized ordained minister. You're looking at at least $350 for license plus officiant. It then can get 8-12 weeks to get them to mail the marriage certificate to you (can be faster if you ask), but it's an unknown and a hassle. I don't know exactly what the rules are for 2 non-residents to get married there...it must be possible, but it's not a common place for wedding tourists.

Finally, I'll echo just a bit what other posters have said. If you got denied because of income concerns, getting married in canada isn't going to make them go away as neither of you can legally work there. Just think this through a bit.

I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App (LIN)

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox 

March 3, 2020: Approved by CSC

N-400

Feb 2, 2020: File N-400 online

Feb 25, 2020: Biometrics

RE: income concerns. No consulate or embassy has to accept a co-sponsor for the K1 visa. This is because the I-134 isn't enforceable. They must however, accept a joint sponsor for the IR1/CR1 visa class as the I-864 is a legal contract and enforceable. So if they have a joint sponsor already, sponsorship is not an issue.

OP needs to be aware, however, that visitors cannot interview in Canada. So the interview would ultimately take place in the OP's home country or legal residence, which would not be Canada without a work or student visa, or permanent residence card.

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.