AdamGreaves

Moving to America

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello

My partner and I are planning to move to America following a 6 month road trip in 2018.

When we finish the road trip we will return to the UK to make arrangements to move to America permanently.

I currently own a pub and my partner works in human resources. Prior to this I worked as an engineer.

Can anybody provide some advice on what sort of visa I should pursue or any preparations we should make?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Adam

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

firstly you need to find a job willing to sponsor you. their immigration lawyers look after the rest. no job, no visa. or if you have the funds, look into an investment visa

keep in mind what may happen once Donald Trump is in office.

Edited by Transborderwife

Not as simple as you may think. Do you have immediate family here? Or a company to sponsor you?

Investment visa requires hundreds of thousands of dollars.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Do you have a B Visa? How will you do a 6 month trip?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I like how easy it all sounds in your post. :)

Basically, you cannot move to the USA just like that. Those are your option.

1. You have a close US citizen relative willing to sponsor you. If yes - then you have to marry your partner and once you move to the US and become a legal resident, you can sponsor him/her. Takes couple of years.

2. You find a US employer to sponsor you for a work visa. Which is only temporary visa. But based on your skills, its probably not possible.

3. Win a visa lottery.

4. That's it. Unless you or your partner are USC. Then its a different story.

Oh.

Don't forget about tourist visa (B2) for your 6 months road trip. Also don't make any solid plans. Immigration officers USUALLY gives 6 months stay, but they can give you a two weeks, month or two months or whatever as well.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Prior to buying the pub I was a nuclear weapons engineer. I'm sensing that I need to go down that route. And we're getting B2 visas for the road trip

getting a b2 from a vwp country is not that simple

Timeline

You are looking to apply for a B2, whether you get one or not is another matter.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Even if you want to go for the work visa. You NEED to first find the employer willing to sponsor you and pay for your process first. And like I said, it's a temporary visa. No way guarantee to give you legal, permanent stay in the US. Also Trump does plan to limit work visas.

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Timeline

Let us know how you get on with the B.

First you need to find a job and with a company prepared to spend the money and wait and depending on the visa category hope that you come up in the lottery.

So you are going to need to be pretty special for them to do that.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm aware it can be difficult to obtain a visa. I was asking for advice on the sort of visa and how sponsorships work. There's a few people here just telling me how difficult it's going to be and offering no advice.

Timeline

The Company/Lawyer would determine the visa category, getting a job, well no different to getting a job in the UK, work through your contacts etc. Obviously harder when you are looking to move countries as most companies will bin such applications unless they really need your skill set.

As an aside it is much easier to get a job with a UK operation who would be willing to transfer you to the US.

Your situation offers few options but they have been given to you.

Find a company that will hire you and sponsor you for a visa. The company's lawyers will have to prove they can't find a USC to fill the role. Because of this these sponsor are in high or specialized roles.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.