lindam201

I-751, Only submitted Tax Return of recent one year from Turbotax, will this be a big issue?

25 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I wish I have known here earlier. I submitted tax return from Turbotax, print out of all the forms, but I didn't submit tax return transcripts from IRS, and I only submitted tax return of 2015. Will all these cause a big problem? Can I submit additional documents now to CSC? I just mailed my I-751 package this week.

I got my conditional green card at the end of January 2015, which will expire in January 2017, so I thought they want the tax returns of 2015 and 2016. I can not file tax return for 2016 yet so I only submitted tax return of 2015. Now I realized I might should have submitted tax return of 2014 too, which we filed at the beginning of 2015.

Please help! Thank you everyone.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

no big deal, worse come to worse, theywill RFE you for the transcript for both years

03/28/2014 - Married in New York Clerks Office

Adjusting from H1B

5/28/2014 - Sent AOS package
5/30/2014 - AOS Package Delivered
6/06/2014 - Text and email notification received
6/10/2014 - 4 Hard copies of NOA1 received
6/13/2014 - Biometrics appointment letter in the mail

6/17/2014 - Walk-in biometrics at Varick Street
6/27/2014 - Scheduled appointment for biometrics

6/30/2014 - Notification from USCIS, Testing & Interview

8/13/2014 - EAD and AP approved

8/18/2014 - EAD received

10/15/2014 - Interview at New York Federal Plaza and APPROVED email and text at the end of day

10/21/2014 - Green card in the mail

ROC

07/16/2016 - Sent I-751 to VSC

07/18/2016 - Package delivered

07/21/2016 - Check cashed

07/29/2016 - Received NOA1 dated 07/19/2016

08/08/2016 - Biometrics walk-in successful

08/17/2016 - Scheduled appointment for biometrics

07/10/2017 - Approval Letter received dated 07/06/2017

07/20/2017 - Green card in the mail

03/28/2018 - Divorce granted
CITIZENSHIP

07/17/2019 - Sent N400 Online -  5 years residency rule

07/23/2019 - Received NOA for biometrics

08/05/2019 - Biometrics appointment 

09/30/2020 - Interview - Approved

01/13/2021 - Oath Ceremony

01/13/2021 - Applied for passport at USPS

02/02/2021 - Status "In Process" 

02/18/2021 - Passport Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Go ahead and file your 2016 return as soon as possible in the new year, so that you can get your 2016 transcript as soon as possible. CSC won't be looking at your file for at least another 4-5 months. That way, if you DO get an RFE, you will have both 2015 and 2016 in your hands, and can ship them off right away.

Best of luck!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

I also used HR Block tax returns myself. As long as your other evidences are sufficient they may not pick on this issue. Meantime after you file your 2016 taxes order the tax transcripts for 2015 and 2016. If they ever send you RFE, use those right away. If they don't, you will need those anyways if you ever apply for naturalization.

I also used HR Block tax returns myself. As long as your other evidences are sufficient they may not pick on this issue. Meantime after you file your 2016 taxes order the tax transcripts for 2015 and 2016. If they ever send you RFE, use those right away. If they don't, you will need those anyways if you ever apply for naturalization.

Thank you. So they won't RFE just because of Turbotax or HR Block. I didn't send a copy of W2 with the turbotax either. Just printed all forms from Turbotax. And actually I should have sent 2014 and 2015, not 2015 and 2016? Will sending them documents now with copy of NOA work ?

Go ahead and file your 2016 return as soon as possible in the new year, so that you can get your 2016 transcript as soon as possible. CSC won't be looking at your file for at least another 4-5 months. That way, if you DO get an RFE, you will have both 2015 and 2016 in your hands, and can ship them off right away.

Best of luck!

Sukie in NY

Thank you a lot for the reply. But I should have sent 2014 and 2015, not supposed to be 2015 and 2016? Is submitting only one year tax return an issue? Sending them documents now with copy of NOA will work? Edited by lindam201

no big deal, worse come to worse, theywill RFE you for the transcript for both years

I'm paranoid very worried they send a RFE and I won't receive and they deny the case. Will they really update online in time about RFE? They won't RFE for submitting only one year of tax return? Am I supposed to send 2014 and 2015 tax returns since I married August 2014. Though got green card in January 2015. Will sending them documents with a copy of NOA work?

Thank you a lot for the reply.

Edited by lindam201

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Thank you. So they won't RFE just because of Turbotax or HR Block. I didn't send a copy of W2 with the turbotax either. Just printed all forms from Turbotax. And actually I should have sent 2014 and 2015, not 2015 and 2016? Will sending them documents now with copy of NOA work ?

Thank you a lot for the reply. But I should have sent 2014 and 2015, not supposed to be 2015 and 2016? Is submitting only one year tax return an issue? Sending them documents now with copy of NOA will work?

If you have submitted plenty of other evidences of financial co-mingling, this won't be an issue and you may not get an RFE. Not too many applicants get RFEs anyway. In case you do get an RFE, you should have your 2014, 2015 and eventually 2016 tax transcripts in your possession to be submitted.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : National Benefits Center; Consulate : Mumbai, India; Marriage (if applicable): 2013-07-05
USCIS
I-130 Sent : 2013-07-20; I-130 NOA1 : 2013-07-26; I-130 Transferred to CSC: 2014-01-13; I-130 Approved: 2014-01-22
NVC
NVC Received: 2014-02-03; AOS Bill Shows PAID: 2014-03-19
NVC Case # and IIN Assigned: 2014-03-11; AOS Package Delivered: 2014-03-21;
Submitted/Completed DS-261 online: 2014-03-12; AOS Package Touched: 2014-03-25;
Receive & Pay AOS Bill : 2014-03-13; AOS Package Approved: 2014-04-08
AOS Package Mailed (USPS Priority): 2014-03-18;
IV Bill:
Receive & Pay IV Bill: 2014-03-24; False Checklist for Civil Documents: 2014-04-07
IV Bill Shows PAID: 2014-03-26; Case Completed at NVC: 2014-04-16;
IV Package Mailed (USPS Priority): 2014-03-26; Case Complete Email Received: 2014-04-23
IV Package Received by NVC: 2014-03-31; Interview scheduled: 2014-05-01;
IV Package Touched: 2014-04-03 (still in review); IL Email Received: 2014-05-01
DS-260 Available/Completed/Submitted: 2014-03-27
Consulate: Mumbai
Fingerprinting & Photo: 2014-05-09 Medicals: 2014-05-19
Interview: 2014-06-04 Visa Approved CEAC Website Status "Issued": 2014-06-05
USCIS ELIS Fee Paid: 2014-06-08 Passport w/Visa Received: 2014-06-09
POE (LAX): 2014-07-20 SS# Received: 2014-07-28
Actual GC received 2014-08-30
CA ID Received: 2014-09-02.
First job in USA (yeeeh!!!) starting: 2014-09-22
Taking driving lessons....!!!!

ROC
Application Sent: 2016-04-26
NOA1:2016-04-28
Biometrics: 2016-06-02 (early walk-in on May 31st)

ROC Approval Email and Online Status Change - 2016-11-07
Google Doc for April 2016 filers: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12Mb-ALcbwQbYafLj4vFaEMjSGD-wfjtrycs3ul8QlUo/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0

The extension letter you will receive when they accept your case states that if you want to send more supporting documents you can do so. Just add a copy of your NOA1 when you receive it and send the documents, this may avoid that you get a RFE. I have attached a copy of the letter, read paragraph 4.

post-239674-0-32652300-1482520867_thumb.png

Edited by Mayde

AOS:

Sent AOS Package: Feb 2014

Received Green Card: September 2014

ROC:

Sent ROC Package: Sep 2016

Approved: Feb 2018 

N400:

Filed: 7/9/19 online

Bios: 7/29/19

Interview: 12/10/19

Oath: 01/07/2020

July 2019  N400 spread sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19rv0w-Ls_-225a0AqzhsTObXb2DcT07oACpdIHhn9dE/edit

Filed: Timeline

Huh, well I understand the NOA says you can send in stuff, however I would not recommend anyone does that. (if you do, keep a copy of the packet you send unsolicited).

USCIS does not like unsolicited mail. It takes forever to get matched up to the file it belongs to- if it ever gets matched up. You also get no confirmation back of its receipt, so if an RFE comes you have no idea if it takes into account what you sent originally or is referring to the supplement info. Personally I think it just makes it more complicated...

Anyway- tax returns are the number 1 biggest thing for USCIS. They just love them. Number one thing they ask for. If you sent just the turbotax 1040 forms and no w2s then you ARE going to get an RFE. The return you sent was incomplete with out the w2s. I dont care what else you sent with your ROC packet- you are going to get an RFE for the taxes the way you sent it. I dont often say things with 100% certainty but this I am sure of.

They are most likely going to word the RFE and ask for ALL your tax returns covering the entire marriage. Depending on when the RFE comes (Apr 2017) this may or may not include 2016 taxes.

So unless you are self employed and use schedule C - its easiest to just obtain tax transcripts from the IRS for the previous years. Request them now so you will have them when the RFE comes. If you dont want to do that- then you need to make sure you include copies of every w2 and 1099misc or interest form that was declared on your taxes. (the transcripts are easier because they have this info included, so you just send the transcript).

Since you will be getting an RFE, you can take advantage of it and continue to gather additional evidence to include back with the RFE. This is the only time when you can send unsolicited info and be assured it will be attached to your file properly because the RFE causes the packet you mail to be directed back to the officer directly rather then going through various mail rooms trying to figure out where it is.

Huh, well I understand the NOA says you can send in stuff, however I would not recommend anyone does that. (if you do, keep a copy of the packet you send unsolicited).

USCIS does not like unsolicited mail. It takes forever to get matched up to the file it belongs to- if it ever gets matched up. You also get no confirmation back of its receipt, so if an RFE comes you have no idea if it takes into account what you sent originally or is referring to the supplement info. Personally I think it just makes it more complicated...

Anyway- tax returns are the number 1 biggest thing for USCIS. They just love them. Number one thing they ask for. If you sent just the turbotax 1040 forms and no w2s then you ARE going to get an RFE. The return you sent was incomplete with out the w2s. I dont care what else you sent with your ROC packet- you are going to get an RFE for the taxes the way you sent it. I dont often say things with 100% certainty but this I am sure of.

They are most likely going to word the RFE and ask for ALL your tax returns covering the entire marriage. Depending on when the RFE comes (Apr 2017) this may or may not include 2016 taxes.

So unless you are self employed and use schedule C - its easiest to just obtain tax transcripts from the IRS for the previous years. Request them now so you will have them when the RFE comes. If you dont want to do that- then you need to make sure you include copies of every w2 and 1099misc or interest form that was declared on your taxes. (the transcripts are easier because they have this info included, so you just send the transcript).

Since you will be getting an RFE, you can take advantage of it and continue to gather additional evidence to include back with the RFE. This is the only time when you can send unsolicited info and be assured it will be attached to your file properly because the RFE causes the packet you mail to be directed back to the officer directly rather then going through various mail rooms trying to figure out where it is.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate this detailed explanation. For 2015 we were actually students so there is no w2 anyway I guess?! And 2014 we did have a job but since I got my conditional green card in January 2015 so I thought I should submit 2015 and 2016 but yeah maybe I should submit 2014 and 2015. So will I still get RFE?

Thank you!

The extension letter you will receive when they accept your case states that if you want to send more supporting documents you can do so. Just add a copy of your NOA1 when you receive it and send the documents, this may avoid that you get a RFE. I have attached a copy of the letter, read paragraph 4.

Thank you so much. This is what I have been looking for. Though I know it might be impossible for them really insert the additional documents into the original package.

If you have submitted plenty of other evidences of financial co-mingling, this won't be an issue and you may not get an RFE. Not too many applicants get RFEs anyway. In case you do get an RFE, you should have your 2014, 2015 and eventually 2016 tax transcripts in your possession to be submitted.

Thank you! I hope so too.

Timeline

If you sent just the turbotax 1040 forms and no w2s then you ARE going to get an RFE. The return you sent was incomplete with out the w2s. I dont care what else you sent with your ROC packet- you are going to get an RFE for the taxes the way you sent it.

I used HR block returns, did not include W2s and did not get RFE for it. I guess the adjudicating office who handled my case did not care about it at all.

I used HR block returns, did not include W2s and did not get RFE for it. I guess the adjudicating office who handled my case did not care about it at all.

Thank you! But I submit one year only. Don't know if this would be ok?

Timeline

Thank you! But I submit one year only. Don't know if this would be ok?

Who knows I've also seen people getting approved with one year tax return. Don't send anything until they ask for it. As I said earlier order tax transcripts meantime and if they issue RFE, send them the very next day. Good luck!

Who knows I've also seen people getting approved with one year tax return. Don't send anything until they ask for it. As I said earlier order tax transcripts meantime and if they issue RFE, send them the very next day. Good luck!

For 751 one year turbotax ? Why do you also think I should not send them anything without being asked? I thought sending them anyway could avoid RFE even it is just a possibility to be added to my package?

Filed: Timeline

Yeah H&R Block has software that can upload your w2 to the return or even download it from the IRS I believe to generate it into your tax form. I believe if you actually look at what was printed out when you "printed out your HR block return" youll see it had a computer generated image of the w2 somewhere in the packet. (maybe it doesnt look 'pretty' and all square like, but all the coding from the W2 stating the amounts and control numbers are there so it can be verified- making it an acceptable copy of a w2)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.