dburnt

Changing name with ROC

7 posts in this topic

For various reasons, I did not choose to change my name immediately after I married (I thought it would complicate things with multiple names on my documentation - changing things now is way worse), but have since wanted to change my name. You can't get a new passport without "government ID" in the new name, you can't change your name at the bank or DMV until you update the SSN, and they won't let you change that until you update with DHS (which of course costs). What a nightmare! I opted to wait until the ROC process, and have filed my I-751 under my married name...of course, the I-751 could take a year to process.

I have read that you can't update your SSN until the new name shows with DHS, so I am wondering at which point in the ROC process that would be. Do I have to wait until I get my permanent GC? When would the USCIS system be updated with my married name? Thoughts?

You got married in 2014 why did you wait so long to change your name ??

The same day I returned back to the states(I married in my husband's country and did his visa application there also) I went to ssa to change my name and now that i habe my ss card with my new last name I can get a id

It should be the same for everyone I would think

I love my husband ?‍?‍?

Married June 2016

Por siempre y para siempre Mi amor

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I got married in July and changed my name based on my marriage certificate this month at the SS office without a problem. Just had to bring my passport with I-551 stamp (ROC with divorce waiver has been pending over a year) and marriage certificate. No change in DHS needed.

Edited by F1H1I130

I did not want to change my name at that time of my marriage (as is my prerogative), and only recently decided I wanted to. I went into the SS office in person this summer and they would not change my name, regardless of marriage license or any other paperwork, until the name is officially changed on my DHS file. I did not file a name change previously because I could not afford the additional fee, when I would be filing ROC in a few months time, and the name change can be done then for no extra charge.

Regardless, the question is "at what point in the ROC process will DHS update my name?"

Timeline

Ah, I see what happened. You got your green card after your marriage so you can't change your name now until you have your new GC and send it in with an I-90.

Timeline

Ah, I see what happened. You got your green card after your marriage so you can't change your name now until you have your new GC and send it in with an I-90.

Just re-read that you filed with your married name. But you still have to wait for them to process/approve your ROC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.