Bryan and An

Wish us luck!

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Well, I head to the airport tomorrow for Ho Chi Minh City to be with my fiancee for Christmas, New Year's Eve, and...there was something else...oh yeah, her little K-1 visa interview! Things have really moved along quickly and smoothly so far (knock on wood), and we are amazed that we have an interview in December when I mailed the I-129F packet October 3.

When she was first able to log on to schedule the interview, the soonest openings were February; I wanted her to wait until April, because that was the next time I would be able to go (Easter break) other than this Christmas trip that was already planned. Then, something opened up in January, and she begged me to let her take it because she said she just couldn't stand to wait and worry until April and felt or case was strong enough that she could handle it without me. I was very reluctant, because I know the value of being there with her with a consulate as tough as Saigon. But I told her if she felt that strongly about it, to go ahead and do it and everything would work out.

Just a couple of days later, she messaged me excitedly that a spot had opened up on December 29th, right in the middle of my trip! We couldn't believe it. We are both excited and nervous, but feel like we've done everything we can do. This will only be my second trip, but I did spend a full month there last time and was with her 24/7. Plus, we will have time to take lots of pictures with her family and a small, informal "engagement dinner" this time before the interview. We didn't have an engagement party yet, because A) I proposed to her on the last day of my last trip, and B) her dad is a fisherman who comes home rarely, and the only time he can be home when I can be there is during my Easter break next April. So, fingers crossed, she will hopefully have her visa this month, and I will be back again in April for a formal engagement party and to bring her back home with me. Thanks to everyone on this site - it's been a tremendous resource throughout this process!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good luck to you both!

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Good luck!

We spent the night before playing Q&A, including questions I told her they'd never ask (although they then proved me wrong, asking one of them). She should be prepared to answer questions about you, your job, and your relationship, but unless she's hesitant or seems to contradict herself, those questions will stay pretty basic.

It was a long morning and afternoon at the consulate, but we were prepared and had all our paperwork in order, so the process itself was pretty painless. Just a lot of waiting.

Be sure they see that you're with her...go with her to the counter when she first turns in her initial materials (even though they'll tell you to sit down once they see you), and then when she goes up to interview (they'll probably swear you in alongside her and then send you back to your seat).

Timeline

Well, I head to the airport tomorrow for Ho Chi Minh City to be with my fiancee for Christmas, New Year's Eve, and...there was something else...oh yeah, her little K-1 visa interview! Things have really moved along quickly and smoothly so far (knock on wood), and we are amazed that we have an interview in December when I mailed the I-129F packet October 3.

When she was first able to log on to schedule the interview, the soonest openings were February; I wanted her to wait until April, because that was the next time I would be able to go (Easter break) other than this Christmas trip that was already planned. Then, something opened up in January, and she begged me to let her take it because she said she just couldn't stand to wait and worry until April and felt or case was strong enough that she could handle it without me. I was very reluctant, because I know the value of being there with her with a consulate as tough as Saigon. But I told her if she felt that strongly about it, to go ahead and do it and everything would work out.

Just a couple of days later, she messaged me excitedly that a spot had opened up on December 29th, right in the middle of my trip! We couldn't believe it. We are both excited and nervous, but feel like we've done everything we can do. This will only be my second trip, but I did spend a full month there last time and was with her 24/7. Plus, we will have time to take lots of pictures with her family and a small, informal "engagement dinner" this time before the interview. We didn't have an engagement party yet, because A) I proposed to her on the last day of my last trip, and B) her dad is a fisherman who comes home rarely, and the only time he can be home when I can be there is during my Easter break next April. So, fingers crossed, she will hopefully have her visa this month, and I will be back again in April for a formal engagement party and to bring her back home with me. Thanks to everyone on this site - it's been a tremendous resource throughout this process!

Wishing you nothing but success! I'm sure everything will go smooth! Best Christmas present ever I'm sure!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

UPDATE - Approved! And very easily I would say, based on the length of the interview and the softball nature of the questions. More on that later; first, back to the beginning, for anyone interested in the whole process. 

We were (are) staying at the Sofitel, so we just walked over to the consulate - it was a 5 minute walk, if that. Arrived around 6:45, and there were maybe 100 people lined up outside. By the time they let us in, I would estimate around 150 people total. I was a little surprised that other than me, there appeared to only be one other person of non-Asian ethnicity present. Anyway, they came by and checked for the appointment confirmation letter and passport, then did a hand-held wand security screening thing before letting us in to a building where we lined up in 3 columns. (As others have mentioned, the "Immigrant" and "Non-immigrant" signs are meaningless; you'll just file in where they tell you to.) In there, they give you the form where you write your name, case number, passport number, etc. for filling out the EMS paperwork after you're approved. 

From these three columns, they let small groups cross the street for the full airport-style x-ray and security screening. After than, we checked in at a desk and lined up again, at which time they told me to have a seat in the waiting area. My fiancee waited in this line for a while before being fingerprinted and receiving a number. Then, she came over and sat with me while we watched the screens for her number to pop up. When that happened, we both went to the window indicated for the initial submission of paperwork. They kept what they needed and gave the rest back; I think they kept her Ho Khau, passport, medical check forms, birth certificate, copies of my passport and birth certificate, I-134 and financial documents (I had 3 years of tax transcripts and W-2s but they only kept the latest year)...I don't remember what else because this woman worked extremely quickly. After that, we sat back down and waited for our number to come up again. 

Watching some of the other interviews (and listening, when possible) was pretty interesting; we only had a good view of 3 of the windows from where we were sitting, but there was one officer in particular that I was kind of hoping we would get. His interviews seemed to be short and mostly successful, from what I could tell. When the numbers started getting close to ours (despite what some reviews say, it's certainly not completely random; they somewhat seemed to go in order, though not exactly), I watched a little more closely, and at one point was almost sure I recognized one of our pictures as he was flipping through our I-129F packet. Sure enough, a minute later our number popped up and directed us to his window. We both walked up there, and he had both of us raise our right hands and swear to tell the truth. He then checked An's fingerprints again on an electronic pad thing. He started by asking me a few questions; when had I arrived in Vietnam, where was I staying, how long was I staying. Then he said I could take a seat and he would call me back up if he needed me. 

I was able to sit close enough to hear all of his questions; there were only 7 or 8. Best I can remember, they were:

Did you bring any pictures today?

How did you meet your fiance?

When did you first meet in person? 

Is this his only visit since the first one?

Where does your fiance live? 

What does he do in the US?

Have you made any wedding plans?

Do you have any relatives in the US?

Have either of you been married before?

Your visa has been approved; congratulations. 

She answered each question succinctly and to the point, and he just nodded and typed something after each one. There's no way the interview lasted longer than five minutes; I think it was literally the shortest one I noticed all day. I do think me being there made a huge difference, along with all of the work we put into the I-129F packet. There seemed to be very few petitioners there at all, from what I could tell, but the ones I noticed all seemed to have success. I noticed a lot of blue slips throughout the day, but I didn't keep count or anything. We were finished by 10 or so. 

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but we were so relieved and excited, and the whole process really couldn't have been any easier or smoother. Thanks to all of the help from VJ'ers! You guys know what you're talking about. 

Edited by Bryan and An

Timeline

That's awesome! Congratulations!

K-1 Journey

02/23/2017 - I-129F Package Sent via USPS

03/06/2017 - Received NOA1 Hard Copy

06/05/2017 - Received NOA2 Hard Copy

06/12/2017 - NVC Case # Assigned

06/23/2017 - Packet 3 Delivered

06/28/2017 - DS-160 Complete

7/10/2017 - Interview Scheduled for 08/08/2017

8/08/2017 - Interview passed! K-1 approved!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.