jamie916

Tourist Visa for Indian Fiancé

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

I've heard (from a woman with much experience with India/the visa process) that it is difficult to get an Indian citizen here with even something as simple as a visitor/tourist visa...

Does anyone have any experience with/information about this? I'm hoping to arrange for my fiancé to come visit (not to marry; don't worry ?), as I will be attending school for the next nine months beginning in January, but I don't want to risk him being denied the B2, then having it effect our K1/CR1 visa in the future...?

A denial will not create problems for you. Plenty of people have spouses that have denied B2 applications that are then approved no problem. But he needs to be entirely honest and show VERY strong ties to India - just don't get your hopes up as many people get denied.

Married: 5-July-2015
I-130 Petition Sent: 11-May-2016
NSC Received (Our Priority Date): 12-May-2016
NOA2 Received: 30-September-2016 141 days for I-130 approval
NOA2 Hard Copy Received: 06-October-2016
Petition Sent to NVC: 17-October-2016 17 days for petition to be sent to NVC
NVC Received: 21-October-2016 4 days to be received at NVC
NVC Case Number Assigned: 31-October-2016 10 days for case number to be assigned
NVC Welcome Letter Received: 3-November-2016 @ 12:10 AM 3 days from case number assigned until Welcome Letter received and invoices unlocked
IV and AOS Fees Unlocked: 3-November-2016 @ 7:00 AM
IV and AOS Fees Paid: 3-November-2016
DS-260 Unlocked: 7-November-2016 2.5 business days for DS-260 to be unlocked
DS-260 Submitted: 8-November-2016
AOS and IV Documents Sent: 9-November-2016
Scan Date: 14-November-2016 5 days to receive scan date due to a holiday/weekend
Medical expedite requested: 14-December-2016
Medical expedite approved at consulate: 19-December-2016 Expedite approved with consulate but denied at NVC; still need to wait for case complete
Case on Supervisor Review: 22-December-2016
Case sent to the Review Department: 13-January-2017
Case Complete: 24-January-2017     10 weeks and 2 days at NVC before case completed
Case arrived at consulate/CEAC status "Ready": 1-February-2017
Interview: 21-February-2017   We scheduled our own interview because we had an approved medical expedite with the consulate. By sheer luck we got such a quick interview date because someone cancelled their appointment less than 20 minutes prior
Interview Result: Approved!!
Visa Issued: 21-February-2017     Visa issued same day as interview
DHL tracking information received: 22-February-2017     DHL tracking number appeared 28 hours after interview, scheduled for delivery the next day
Visa in hand: 23-Feb-2017
US POE (Minneapolis): 26-Feb-2017

Timeline

So what to do if he DOES get denied for the B2? Appeal it? Wait until we apply for the K1/CR1 (and wouldn't that look bad not to appeal)? Is appealing/getting approved a simple process? What are the potential reasons for denial?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

So what to do if he DOES get denied for the B2? Appeal it? Wait until we apply for the K1/CR1 (and wouldn't that look bad not to appeal)? Is appealing/getting approved a simple process? What are the potential reasons for denial?

youcannot appeal it. biggest denial reason us not enough proof he will return home

Timeline

He was also denied a marriage visa the first two times he applied through the German Embassy with his ex (she then cheated on him and they never completed the appeal/attended the final meeting with the Embassy). Will they look into this for his tourist (or any other) visa? If so, will that impact their decision? (He was also denied but then appealed/approved for a tourist visa in Poland in the process of waiting for the decision from the German Embassy, to prove that he could stay in Europe without abusing the terms, which is good).

Also, what kind of ties to India does he have to prove/what do you mean?

Timeline

He was also denied a marriage visa the first two times he applied through the German Embassy with his ex (she then cheated on him and they never completed the appeal/attended the final meeting with the Embassy). Will they look into this for his tourist (or any other) visa? If so, will that impact their decision? (He was also denied but then appealed/approved for a tourist visa in Poland in the process of waiting for the decision from the German Embassy, to prove that he could stay in Europe without abusing the terms, which is good).

Also, what kind of ties to India does he have to prove/what do you mean?

for a US marriage visa? or German?

he needs to prove he will come home and not stay basically

Timeline

No job at the moment, as he has struggled since his his ex's affair/separation (he gave up everything for her) and is living in the conflicted Kashmir. I will have to sponsor him.

you cannot. he will be hard pressed to get a b2

Denied for German marriage visa, will be applying for either K1 or CR1 with me in US

I cannot what? Sponsor him? Why will he be "hard pressed"? Because of the denials or where he lives?

No, you can not sponsor him. Sponsors are not allowed for tourist visas. And he will be hard pressed because without strong ties (like a job), they will assume he has immigration intent and deny him the visa. Also, you can't appeal the B2 process - you can just try again, but unless circumstances have drastically changed, it will get denied again.

You can always try, but it might be better to save your money and put it towards a K-1 visa.

Married: 5-July-2015
I-130 Petition Sent: 11-May-2016
NSC Received (Our Priority Date): 12-May-2016
NOA2 Received: 30-September-2016 141 days for I-130 approval
NOA2 Hard Copy Received: 06-October-2016
Petition Sent to NVC: 17-October-2016 17 days for petition to be sent to NVC
NVC Received: 21-October-2016 4 days to be received at NVC
NVC Case Number Assigned: 31-October-2016 10 days for case number to be assigned
NVC Welcome Letter Received: 3-November-2016 @ 12:10 AM 3 days from case number assigned until Welcome Letter received and invoices unlocked
IV and AOS Fees Unlocked: 3-November-2016 @ 7:00 AM
IV and AOS Fees Paid: 3-November-2016
DS-260 Unlocked: 7-November-2016 2.5 business days for DS-260 to be unlocked
DS-260 Submitted: 8-November-2016
AOS and IV Documents Sent: 9-November-2016
Scan Date: 14-November-2016 5 days to receive scan date due to a holiday/weekend
Medical expedite requested: 14-December-2016
Medical expedite approved at consulate: 19-December-2016 Expedite approved with consulate but denied at NVC; still need to wait for case complete
Case on Supervisor Review: 22-December-2016
Case sent to the Review Department: 13-January-2017
Case Complete: 24-January-2017     10 weeks and 2 days at NVC before case completed
Case arrived at consulate/CEAC status "Ready": 1-February-2017
Interview: 21-February-2017   We scheduled our own interview because we had an approved medical expedite with the consulate. By sheer luck we got such a quick interview date because someone cancelled their appointment less than 20 minutes prior
Interview Result: Approved!!
Visa Issued: 21-February-2017     Visa issued same day as interview
DHL tracking information received: 22-February-2017     DHL tracking number appeared 28 hours after interview, scheduled for delivery the next day
Visa in hand: 23-Feb-2017
US POE (Minneapolis): 26-Feb-2017

Timeline

Denied for German marriage visa, will be applying for either K1 or CR1 with me in US

I cannot what? Sponsor him? Why will he be "hard pressed"? Because of the denials or where he lives?

you cannot sponsor tourist visas. it doesn't work that way. look at things thisway. you're an immigration officer, you see a single person with no job, no reason to return home and an American significant other who could adjust status (fraud). do you trust thrm?

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

Timeline

Right... Okay...

But for the K1 or CR1 visa it's different, right? I mean, I know I can sponsor him then... But will the process prove to be more difficult then, because he doesn't currently have a job? (Silly question, as I know anyone looks better with money; he will be getting his business license soon, at least, which is good...)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.