Kasulia

I-134 affidavit of support - sponsor doesnt work

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi,

my interview is 2 months away and I have huge problem with I-134 form :(

My fiance (sponsor) is a student and he doesn't have official job. He doesnt have time to work as he studies and looks after granma and her house. She pays him for this.

I know that there is a joint sponsor option but just in case we wont find anyone what other ways we can proof that he can support me? Cannot I show that I can support myself? I have savings.

For his finance proof we can show:

Free accommodation - living with grandma

Car - all paid off

Money he will regurlarly receive until end of his studies from his college

Bank statements that shows enough money coming in and out.

I can show all of my savings which is more than enough to live on, having free accommodation and car for the time until I receive my work permit.

Please help with any information/advice you could give. Stress levels are over the roof! :( We are together for past 1.5 years and it would be a dissaster to be refused.

Thank you very much!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Well, being from the UK you are luckier than most applicants. You can self-sponsor your K1 using savings. How much do you have?

For AOS however, there will be no such grace. You will need to meet the 125 % income requirement one way or another. Free housing and paid-off car is great, but is of no value to USCIS. How much is he receiving from the college he is attending?

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

It won't be a disaster if visa is refused.

Just have to wait a bit longer - fiance graduated and get a job which meets the poverty requirement.

And don't forget about of the cost of health insurance in US. It is not cheap.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Timeline

Well, being from the UK you are luckier than most applicants. You can self-sponsor your K1 using savings. How much do you have?

For AOS however, there will be no such grace. You will need to meet the 125 % income requirement one way or another. Free housing and paid-off car is great, but is of no value to USCIS. How much is he receiving from the college he is attending?

by the time my interview comes I will have £4.5k (this is GBP) but by the time I will leave the country I plan to have £8k.

I think he is receiving $1500 per 3 months (I need to double check this with him).

Also his bank statements shows more that poverty line fluctuation per year.

Which part is AOS? Is it for green card application after we get married? What happens if he wont have job by then? They will deport me?

Thank you!!!!

Timeline

It won't be a disaster if visa is refused.

Just have to wait a bit longer - fiance graduated and get a job which meets the poverty requirement.

And don't forget about of the cost of health insurance in US. It is not cheap.

His studies ends sometime in the end of 2017. By then we will be 2.5 years together. Starting new application from scratch from then will prolong to 3 years apart! :(

I dont believe that relashionship can sustain itself by looking at each other via Facetime.

Timeline

by the time my interview comes I will have £4.5k (this is GBP) but by the time I will leave the country I plan to have £8k.

I think he is receiving $1500 per 3 months (I need to double check this with him).

Which part is AOS? Is it for green card application after we get married? What happens if he wont have job by then? They will deport me?

Thank you!!!!

It's the amount of money in your account at the time of interview that counts. I'm not sure exactly how much they require, others with experience from this can pitch in.

AOS (adjustment of status) is the process of filling for the GC after marriage, yes. You should read up on that process sooner rather than later. It will not be granted if you do not have a sponsor with sufficient income. After your 90 days on the K1 is up, you would be deportable unless you file for AOS. It's not likely to happen, but you wouldn't be able to work, travel abroad and in general be part of the US community.

K1 process

AOS process:

ROC process:

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

It's the amount of money in your account at the time of interview that counts. I'm not sure exactly how much they require, others with experience from this can pitch in.

AOS (adjustment of status) is the process of filling for the GC after marriage, yes. You should read up on that process sooner rather than later. It will not be granted if you do not have a sponsor with sufficient income. After your 90 days on the K1 is up, you would be deportable unless you file for AOS. It's not likely to happen, but you wouldn't be able to work, travel abroad and in general be part of the US community.

at least 30k USD in assets or 3x the shortfall of income.

Thank you!!!!

Here is thread of successful self-sponsor from UK.

The amount is obviously not £4.5k

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/460172-london-i-134-self-co-sponsor/

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/455415-self-sponsoring-success/

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/466370-k1-self-sponsor-london/

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

not 3 times but 5 times as described by this:

To qualify as significant assets, the total net value (i.e. value of asset less any liability) of all assets must exceed five times the difference between the sponsor’s household income and the Federal poverty line for the sponsor’s household size.

found on this site

http://asianjournal.com/immigration/use-of-assets-to-qualify-as-an-affidavit-of-support-sponsor/

and they need to be petitioner's or joint sponsor's

Timeline

not 3 times but 5 times as described by this:

To qualify as significant assets, the total net value (i.e. value of asset less any liability) of all assets must exceed five times the difference between the sponsors household income and the Federal poverty line for the sponsors household size.

found on this site

http://asianjournal.com/immigration/use-of-assets-to-qualify-as-an-affidavit-of-support-sponsor/

and they need to be petitioner's or joint sponsor's

it's murky...I've seena few times on here only 3x was required

Timeline

I believe for I-134 we only need to proof that he can (I can) suport myself for 3 months+ until I get a work permit.

5k to live on for 3 months is more than enough, especialy when I wont need to pay anything for accommodation or travel.

Lets assume they approve my K-1. Will they deport me if my green card will be denied?

Timeline

I believe for I-134 we only need to proof that he can (I can) suport myself for 3 months+ until I get a work permit.

5k to live on for 3 months is more than enough, especialy when I wont need to pay anything for accommodation or travel.

Lets assume they approve my K-1. Will they deport me if my green card will be denied?

What you think is enough, is not what the embassy will think is enough. They will not take into consideration that you have free accommodation etc. Remember that you also need to afford the AOS process itself, healthcare/insurance and other unexpected costs that may come up. Read around the forum for experiences particularly related to your situation (self-sponsoring K1 at London embassy).

It is highly unlikely that they will deport you (they just do not have the resources to hunt down all illegal immigrants), but you will be deportable/illegaly present in the US. You should really look into acquiring a joint sponsor. The financial sponsorship should not be taken lightly.

K1 process

AOS process:

ROC process:

Timeline

What you think is enough, is not what the embassy will think is enough. They will not take into consideration that you have free accommodation etc. Remember that you also need to afford the AOS process itself, healthcare/insurance and other unexpected costs that may come up. Read around the forum for experiences particularly related to your situation (self-sponsoring K1 at London embassy).

It is highly unlikely that they will deport you (they just do not have the resources to hunt down all illegal immigrants), but you will be deportable/illegaly present in the US. You should really look into acquiring a joint sponsor. The financial sponsorship should not be taken lightly.

My fiance and I will be sponsoring the proccess together. In addition to my money he will be filing I-134 also. If bank statements are enough and he doesnt need to show proof of employment then we are fine.

From what I read in the links guys posted here, London is not as strict as application part in US. I should probably look into AOS forums related to money proof at the Green Card stage.

Timeline

My fiance and I will be sponsoring the proccess together. In addition to my money he will be filing I-134 also. If bank statements are enough and he doesnt need to show proof of employment then we are fine.

From what I read in the links guys posted here, London is not as strict as application part in US. I should probably look into AOS forums related to money proof at the Green Card stage.

strict or not, it must meet the guidelines.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.