Nama_c

I-485 Final Interview Documentation Help?

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys, it's been awhile since we last posted. I hope everyone is doing well, and their processes are flowing without issue.

We're at the final interview stage, before I am either granted or denied resident status in the US.

Titled, "Form I-485, application to register permanent residence or adjust status" for clarity.

Our interview is in a couple of days and we're still finalizing a lot of our documentation, with help of the provided checklist. I am the least literate in our documentation, and my wife mostly manages it, because I cannot read properly.

Here are the things that I do not understand, and would love help with;

• Evidence of your sponsors and/or co-sponsors united states citizenship or permanent lawful resident status. (What do they want exactly? A passport scan, a state id scan?) This requirement comes under the I-864 forms requirements, most of which require you to bring things unless you have already submitted them. We have previously submitted most of the documents, but this one I am not sure of.
  • All documentation establishing your eligibility for lawful permanent resident status. Again, nothing specifically noted so i'm not sure. Would this be referring to the k1 documentation? What exactly do they need?
  • Any immigration related documentation ever issued to you, including EAD and Authorization for Advanced Parole I-512. I have an EAD letter, and photo id card. I have not filed a I-512 to my knowledge, and don't think i needed to. As for 'Any immigration documentation', to me is a wide bracket and all could be included. So what exactly do they want to see here?
  • All travel documents used to enter the US, including passports, Advance parole documents I_512 and I-94s. Would this just be my I-94 and passport then? I remember handing a package to a guard before going through an interview at a border location in Canada. I don't remember needing an ESTA or anything. I apologize for my bad memory, I am sure without checking that the I-94 is the K1 visa. Any specifics again would be appreciated.
  • Your petitioners birth certificate and your petitioners evidence of US citizenship or lawful permanent resident status. Again, not being a US citizen I am still unfamiliar with this kind of documentation. I know my wife to have US birth certificates two drivers licenses and an out of date US passport. I do not know what else it could be referring to.
  • Supporting evidence of your relationship. This one is a bit more straightforward, but what are the ideal things to bring? Being a new family, we don't have joint assets or anything of the kind. I've yet join a bank because i've no income yet (had my employment card little over three weeks now) and I only just discovered that I am eligible for a social security number. We have an old folder full of our first years relationships chat logs and pictures of when we met. Past the initial interview we stopped doggedly screencapping everything. I have been living in the US for around seven months now, so we have a handful of pictures of us together at family events. We're not big on using phones now, if we don't have to. Our only other joint venture is a family health insurance plan, provided by my wifes work and a dental plan (I believe.)
  • Original and copy of each supporting document that you submitted with your application. Otherwise we may keep your originals for our records. Are they asking for originals and copies, dating back to the beginning of the petition? Or just originals and copies of the documents required just for the interview? I'm not sure we have every single document we have ever submitted.

Another sub concern of mine is the conditions of our marriage. We are both very relaxed people, and never cared much for a disney wedding, plus given the cost of living any money we do have is better and more comfortably spent on housing. So our wedding was a last minute arrangement, in a two man venue with no attendees. The official that married us was very forgetful and not sharp. She took our pictures under the altar, and genuinely only managed to actually take a single picture. Of which you wouldn't be able to tell was at a ceremony due to the terrible photography. We were also dressed smartly, but not in wedding clothes. To us it is a funny anecdote, but we fear the officials at the office may see things differently. What are your opinions?

Also any tips on what to do in our final interview would be wonderful.

So those are the ones I am having trouble with. Never been very good at understanding text. Thank you for those who have the time to explain these things to me, and I wish you all the best of luck, good health and happy holidays.

EDIT: Also, for those who wouldn't mind settling a friendly argument; Original and copy documents. What exactly qualifies as a copy in this interview? A scan? A scan overseen by an official? My Wife believes that a copy, is an original/official document that had been purchased after the initial one. Example; when you are born you are given your ORIGINAL certificate of birth, but when you are older you may choose to purchase a COPY of it.

Edited by Nama_c

I can't answer all of your questions, but here are some...

Evidence of your sponsors and/or co-sponsors united states citizenship or permanent lawful resident status. A copy of the biographic data page of their passpost is best (the page that has their photo and all the info).

Your petitioners birth certificate and your petitioners evidence of US citizenship or lawful permanent resident status. Same as before; copy of biographic data page of passport is best, but a US birth certificate is also good.

Supporting evidence of your relationship. chat logs, phone records, plane tickets, passport stamps from your visits, photos together, photos with each other's families, document that you're listed as life insurance beneficiary, documents showing you are each other's emergency contacts, etc. etc.

Copies mean just that... copies. Scans. Anything. Just meaning that you made a copy of the original. You need to be in physical posession of the original (and keep in mind the original may be a "certified copy"), and then you make a copy of that and submit it :)

Married: 5-July-2015
I-130 Petition Sent: 11-May-2016
NSC Received (Our Priority Date): 12-May-2016
NOA2 Received: 30-September-2016 141 days for I-130 approval
NOA2 Hard Copy Received: 06-October-2016
Petition Sent to NVC: 17-October-2016 17 days for petition to be sent to NVC
NVC Received: 21-October-2016 4 days to be received at NVC
NVC Case Number Assigned: 31-October-2016 10 days for case number to be assigned
NVC Welcome Letter Received: 3-November-2016 @ 12:10 AM 3 days from case number assigned until Welcome Letter received and invoices unlocked
IV and AOS Fees Unlocked: 3-November-2016 @ 7:00 AM
IV and AOS Fees Paid: 3-November-2016
DS-260 Unlocked: 7-November-2016 2.5 business days for DS-260 to be unlocked
DS-260 Submitted: 8-November-2016
AOS and IV Documents Sent: 9-November-2016
Scan Date: 14-November-2016 5 days to receive scan date due to a holiday/weekend
Medical expedite requested: 14-December-2016
Medical expedite approved at consulate: 19-December-2016 Expedite approved with consulate but denied at NVC; still need to wait for case complete
Case on Supervisor Review: 22-December-2016
Case sent to the Review Department: 13-January-2017
Case Complete: 24-January-2017     10 weeks and 2 days at NVC before case completed
Case arrived at consulate/CEAC status "Ready": 1-February-2017
Interview: 21-February-2017   We scheduled our own interview because we had an approved medical expedite with the consulate. By sheer luck we got such a quick interview date because someone cancelled their appointment less than 20 minutes prior
Interview Result: Approved!!
Visa Issued: 21-February-2017     Visa issued same day as interview
DHL tracking information received: 22-February-2017     DHL tracking number appeared 28 hours after interview, scheduled for delivery the next day
Visa in hand: 23-Feb-2017
US POE (Minneapolis): 26-Feb-2017

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to Fam.-based AOS Forum~

~Inquiry about AOS process, past k-1~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I think they understand at the AOS phase that some couples may not have a lot of evidence of joint commingling of assets. For our interview we took a complete copy of both the K1 package and AOS package with us in case they needed another document that may have been misplaced, we took our wedding album which the IO seemed to like, and we took updated tax information showing joint filing.

At the AOS interview they will verify the I485 answers including the yes/no questions, and for us, just seemed to get a feel for our relationship so far. You will need much more information of commingling at the ROC phase which we are just about ready to submit, so start collecting now as those two years (less 90 days) can go by pretty fast.

As to the other things on your list, here is my input.

Evidence of your sponsors and/or co-sponsors united states citizenship or permanent lawful resident status. (What do they want exactly? A passport scan, a state id scan?)

US passport copies, birth certificates, etc.

All documentation establishing your eligibility for lawful permanent resident status. Again, nothing specifically noted so i'm not sure. Would this be referring to the k1 documentation? What exactly do they need?

Yes, bring a copy of the passport page with the K1 visa as well as a copy of your K1 package including the NOA (I797s) you received.

Any immigration related documentation ever issued to you, including EAD and Authorization for Advanced Parole I-512.

Copies of all the I797 NOAs received by you for the K1 and the AOS submission.

All travel documents used to enter the US, including passports, Advance parole documents I_512 and I-94s. Would this just be my I-94 and passport then?

Yes, including copies of your passport page(s) showing any entry stamps.

As mentioned above, other items may be insurance documents, joint leases, etc.

Original and copy of each supporting document that you submitted with your application.

Bring copies of all your submission packages (K1 and AOS).

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.